Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poshwan)
    Tottenham bought in Soldado + Paulinho

Chelsea bought in Schurrle, Van Grinkel and got Lukaku back

City bought Jovetic, Fernandinho, Jesus Navas, and Negrado

...Arsenal bought in an U21 black French player from Ligue 2

99 problems but the pitch aint one

What difference does it make that the player is black ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Would you really? Do you think a Koscielny-Vertonghen partnership makes a lot of tactical sense?
    I dont believe in the idea of Mertesacker being some sort of leader tbh, only thing against it is that Vertonghen likes to go forward a lot so that might be a problem. But comparing Metersacker and Vertonghen on their abilities as Center Backs I would go for the latter everyday of the weak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    I dont believe in the idea of Mertesacker being some sort of leader tbh, only thing against it is that Vertonghen likes to go forward a lot so that might be a problem. But comparing Metersacker and Vertonghen on their abilities as Center Backs I would go for the latter everyday of the weak.
    Why do you think Mertesacker is not a leader? He was vital in organising the back four when we were leaking goals. He couldnt do that with Vermalean playing alongside him and thats why when Koscielny started partnering him in the second half of last season, he was responsible for making sure that the back four kept a tight line.

Anyway its a matter of opinion whether you think Mertesacker or Vertonghen are better. You need to remember though that a CB position requires a good understanding with your partner and at the moment, Mertesacker and Koscielny are doing that well. Absolutely no reason why I would change that and bring Vertonghen.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger being interviewed by the fans.

This sums it up for me: "..they are on the way upwards, they are not over the hill." Sounds like he does realise that we have a strong foundation to build upon for the future. It definitely doesn't sound to me that he is satisfied with what we have unlike what some people have been accusing him of. If anything it tells me that he recognises that we some good players but he also understands that we can't win the league with what we have at the moment. Seems like a good sign and I do believe that the club is still working on making some signings before the window closes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Why do you think Mertesacker is not a leader? He was vital in organising the back four when we were leaking goals. He couldnt do that with Vermalean playing alongside him and thats why when Koscielny started partnering him in the second half of last season, he was responsible for making sure that the back four kept a tight line.

Anyway its a matter of opinion whether you think Mertesacker or Vertonghen are better. You need to remember though that a CB position requires a good understanding with your partner and at the moment, Mertesacker and Koscielny are doing that well. Absolutely no reason why I would change that and bring Vertonghen.
    Someone that agrees with me finally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a good sign and I do believe that the club is still working on making some signings before the window closes.
    Ofc Arsenal are going to make signings, that's just on the basis that the squad is undermanned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArsenalWenger)
    Someone that agrees with me finally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Id love to see the other side of the argument but so far I'm just getting negged for my opinions. Real classy Spurs fans!
    Im not even saying that Mertesacker is better than Vertonghen but CB positions only work well when there is a good understanding with your partner. There is no sense in saying that Vertonghen can replace Mertesacker..even hypothetically its a pointless argument.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger being interviewed by the fans.

This sums it up for me: "..they are on the way upwards, they are not over the hill." Sounds like he does realise that we have a strong foundation to build upon for the future. It definitely doesn't sound to me that he is satisfied with what we have unlike what some people have been accusing him of. If anything it tells me that he recognises that we some good players but he also understands that we can't win the league with what we have at the moment. Seems like a good sign and I do believe that the club is still working on making some signings before the window closes.
    I hope there's a transcript of this, because I can't deal with that crackily nonsense...

ReputationRep:
    This is from the FourFourTwo preview of the year, and it's not too long so I'm just going to type it up for you guys since I'm lovely. This isn't necessarily my opinion:

With Cazorla and a fit-again Wilshere, could Arsenal push for the title?

If Mourinho, Pellegrini and Moyes remain the safe bets to become the new Don, then what of the Premier League's Uncle Junior? Arsene Wenger, shorn of power, has looked a peripheral figure in recent years and after the way they struggles to shake off the post-RVP blues at the start of the last season, their worst-ever opening to a Premier League campaign, a betting man would have lumped on Arsenal being the only one of the big four to start 2013-14 with a new manager. Instead, Wenger remains the sole incumbent after his side won their final five away games to seal a 16th consecutive season in the Champions League, but their eighth without silverware.

Having managed only two wins from their first eight games last time, the Gunners' early schedule appears remarkably kind, only a North London derby providing real cause for concern in their first 10 games. Fans would probably settle for any end to their trophy drought, but some dare to dream that with Santi Cazorla and Theor Walcott firing, a fit Jack Wilshere, and a couple of big signings, the title might even be within reach.

"My impression," says Tyler, "is that Arsene has been the most loyal manager to a board of directors that there could ever have been. It really has not been possible to go for it while the stadium was being paid off but he has never said that, despite numerous attempts by many of us to get him to do so. Some supporters have concluded that not spending money was his choice but I think this is the time he will raise his voice and look after himself and the team. There seems to be every indication that the buying policy will change, and if it does, it will put a totally different light on a season which is going to be very different."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schichtoe)
    I hope there's a transcript of this, because I can't deal with that crackily nonsense...
    I don't know if a transcript exists as yet but you could look around..

The interview didn't really deal with a lot of the concerns of the fans mainly because they probably warned the fans not to talk about transfers. He pretty much got asked twice about his favourite holiday destination which was ridiculous I thought.
    What I did get out of it though was that he does look like he really wants to get some players in and it seems like he will probably be willing to give more game time to players like Chamberlain. Its all talk so far though so I'm as much nervous as anyone out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poshwan)
    Tottenham bought in Soldado + Paulinho

Chelsea bought in Schurrle, Van Grinkel and got Lukaku back

City bought Jovetic, Fernandinho, Jesus Navas, and Negrado

...Arsenal bought in an U21 black French player from Ligue 2

99 problems but the pitch aint one
    How is that relevant :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal do seem to have failed in the transfer market yet again. All talk and no balls. Even if they pull off the Suarez deal they still won't be up there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    Arsenal do seem to have failed in the transfer market yet again. All talk and no balls. Even if they pull off the Suarez deal they still won't be up there.
    The window isn't shut mate, reserve judgement until september

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    How is that relevant :laugh:
    Because Arsenal sign a lot of black French players?

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool have triggered striker Diego Costa's £21m clause - does that mean they're preparing for life without Suarez?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Liverpool have triggered striker Diego Costa's £21m clause - does that mean they're preparing for life without Suarez?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could be. 21m is a lot for him... Unless they're expecting a lot of money coming in from somewhere?

And they already have 4 strikers... unless they're expecting one to leave?

ReputationRep:
    Diego costa for £21mill is almost as bad as £35mill for carrol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    You must be bored mate, you've got nothing better to than to start pointless arguments on the internet. The window isn't shut mate, reserve judgement until september
    I've just repeated a point that many Arsenal fans on here have been making themselves. That Arsenal haven't done well so far in the Transfer window. We know they have money but have refused to spend any so far.

I genuinely wasn't trying to bait anyone, but hell you'll neg the crap out of this post so why am I bothering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :facepalm2: are they serious. I guess he was a decent enough backup for falcao, but seriously 21m is too much for him, should go for someone like jonas/soldado who are either cheaper or more proven.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal fans are a bit leaveeee it .. since they haven't signed anyone yet (leaveee it), the cheeky 40M +£1 bid for suarez was also leaveee it yeahh since it didnt even trigger the clause in his LEAVEEEE ITT contract...reckon wenger will end up getting someone on the last day leaveee it he'll look like one of those mugs who rush to the petrol station during christmas day to see what presents are left to buy leaveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee itt

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.