Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayles101)
    Opportunities will come, so grab them when they do!
    Thanks for this Hayley. I found it a really interesting and inspiring read. You did awesome. Particularly the comeback from dropping out. I'd have hit rock bottom if I dropped out of uni, so to come back to such success was awesome. I imagine you'll go on to be one of those power women in business that I read about in Forbes magazine. I'll come and work for you one day.

(Original post by sr90)
    At least you guys all have your heads screwed on. My CV is outstanding for a graduate, but I don't have the slightest clue about things like graduate schemes or careers. Even looking through something like Reed these days, I don't have a ****ing clue where to look and anything that does look interesting i'm not eligable for! I doubt i'll find anything 'proper' for a very long time as everyone wants relevant experience :rolleyes:
    You can do it SR90. I know you can. Just sign up for one of those websites that have all the deadlines for graduate schemes on. GradDiary is one I believe. They just make a list and apply. Just think to yourself that the opposite to success is not trying, rather than failure. If you've got a cracking CV and degree (you did Economics at Hull right), you'll be fine.

The thing is. It's easier for you because you've done the degree, so you're a more attractive candidate and you don't have the stress of essays etc. For me, I'm trying to balance my dissertation, two modules this term, and a language course with applying for things/practising online tests etc. It's a flipping nightmare.

(Original post by Lúcio)
    Why is there a decent, inspirational post in the football forum?
    I thought this place was meant to be an infinite dark abyss of trolls and baiting?
    Steve Gerrard Gerrard
    He slipped on his ****ing arse
    He gave it to Demba Ba
    Steve Gerrard Gerrard

Hope you're well Lucio. Sometimes, even Eboracum gets a bit down and needs picking up from the friendly community of the MU thread. We all look after each other on here, and that's what counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    You can do it SR90. I know you can. Just sign up for one of those websites that have all the deadlines for graduate schemes on. GradDiary is one I believe. They just make a list and apply. Just think to yourself that the opposite to success is not trying, rather than failure. If you've got a cracking CV and degree (you did Economics at Hull right), you'll be fine.

The thing is. It's easier for you because you've done the degree, so you're a more attractive candidate and you don't have the stress of essays etc. For me, I'm trying to balance my dissertation, two modules this term, and a language course with applying for things/practising online tests etc. It's a flipping nightmare.
    I think it can be both better and worse being a graduate looking for graduate schemes. I graduated in 2012 with a Bsc economics degree at Leicester and found that I couldn't really get time in my final year to apply for jobs as I was focusing in getting my low/mid 2:1 into a first and this and my part time job meant I couldn't spent time applying prior to the Christmas holiday and found many schemes had already closed by then or in the few I applied to had closed prior to finishing the process. I would advise trying a few, just for the experience as it can take a couple of applications to get used to the process and technique needed.
    Anyway, back to the first part, prior to you graduating they expect less from you as long as you meet their competencies and will meet the 2:1. Whilst as soon as you have graduated you have to always explain and demonstrate what you have achieved since then but you also have more time to apply for schemes. I think this is where (work) experience is crucial whether it is paid or not paid does not matter as it will show you have the drive to improve yourself and also give you relevant examples to demonstrate their competencies.
    So I feel that it can be easier prior to graduation but then you have to balance time which is very difficult in your final year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    I think it can be both better and worse being a graduate looking for graduate schemes. I graduated in 2012 with a Bsc economics degree at Leicester and found that I couldn't really get time in my final year to apply for jobs as I was focusing in getting my low/mid 2:1 into a first and this and my part time job meant I couldn't spent time applying prior to the Christmas holiday and found many schemes had already closed by then or in the few I applied to had closed prior to finishing the process. I would advise trying a few, just for the experience as it can take a couple of applications to get used to the process and technique needed.
    Anyway, back to the first part, prior to you graduating they expect less from you as long as you meet their competencies and will meet the 2:1. Whilst as soon as you have graduated you have to always explain and demonstrate what you have achieved since then but you also have more time to apply for schemes. I think this is where (work) experience is crucial whether it is paid or not paid does not matter as it will show you have the drive to improve yourself and also give you relevant examples to demonstrate their competencies.
    So I feel that it can be easier prior to graduation but then you have to balance time which is very difficult in your final year.
    Thanks for your post. I found it very interesting.

I do BA Politics at York. I'm not going to get a 1st, I only got a low 2:1 in Second Year. I'd be delighted with that to be honest. I find university really difficult. I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed to be honest. I have a list of schemes I fancy a crack at, and the closing dates, but I just feel I have so much work to do. Like today I started my dissertation, and there is just so much reading for my course, I'm finding it hard to take.

Your point about the competencies and work experience is bang on. I worked for a bit before university and I interned at Parliament last Summer so I'm hoping I can pick up competencies and examples from these to use in interviews.

I think I'll apply for a few this year, but I have to prioritise this degree. Do you know much about MA? I'd love to do a Masters to be honest. Just need to beg my Mum/Dad/Nan to fund it.

Oh and...we need to buy Hummels in January.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your post. I found it very interesting.

I do BA Politics at York. I'm not going to get a 1st, I only got a low 2:1 in Second Year. I'd be delighted with that to be honest. I find university really difficult. I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed to be honest. I have a list of schemes I fancy a crack at, and the closing dates, but I just feel I have so much work to do. Like today I started my dissertation, and there is just so much reading for my course, I'm finding it hard to take.

Your point about the competencies and work experience is bang on. I worked for a bit before university and I interned at Parliament last Summer so I'm hoping I can pick up competencies and examples from these to use in interviews.

I think I'll apply for a few this year, but I have to prioritise this degree. Do you know much about MA? I'd love to do a Masters to be honest. Just need to beg my Mum/Dad/Nan to fund it.

Oh and...we need to buy Hummels in January.
    Wikijob is excellent if you want to read up about competencies but they tend to be things like teamwork, decision-making, time pressure, leadership... And questions like tell me about a time/ demonstrate/describe /show me... It also has various tips too.

I would have a look at whether the graduate role you are looking at prefers a Masters first tbh as in accountancy for example it is not preferred whilst it is more needed in consultancy tbh.
    The fees for Masters courses can vary greatly on the university that you pick honestly, but I would have a look at whether York will give you a discount for doing masters within the same university. I know Leicester would give me 10-20% doing a masters there off my tuition fees but I would still be looking at 7k ish. Scholarships are possible too but honestly they are quite scarce at Masters level and more widely used at Phd level but again you would have to look whether it is possible.

I think it can be very difficult when you first try these schemes as it takes experience and being polished to be successful and doesn't help when you are against 80-150 people per role and this is where luck and good timing is needed. As I mentioned before getting as much relevant experience can only be helpful and help you to stand out as look as you can use it to demonstrate their competencies they are looking for. Whilst, it could also lead to a job offer from the company you are gaining your experience as you are demonstrating your skills.

ReputationRep:
    For me, I'm trying to balance my dissertation, two modules this term, and a language course with applying for things/practising online tests etc. It's a flipping nightmare.

Steve Gerrard Gerrard
    He slipped on his ****ing arse
    He gave it to Demba Ba
    Steve Gerrard Gerrard

Hope you're well Lucio. Sometimes, even Eboracum gets a bit down and needs picking up from the friendly community of the MU thread. We all look after each other on here, and that's what counts.
    That really is uncanny - I'm doing my dissertation right now but I also only have 2 modules this semester...

Pls, no jokes.
    The worst thing was that your flop Demba Ba was the one to score.
    At least it wasn't Torres I guess...

Yeah, it's all just banter *insert relevant YouTube link here*

ReputationRep:

That feel when a girl you already felt was 10/10 starts evolving. Das it mane, das it.

ReputationRep:
    short hair
    too skinny
    pale

2/10 would not bang
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Tou can do it SR90. I know you can. Just sign up for one of those websites that have all the deadlines for graduate schemes on. GradDiary is one I believe. They just make a list and apply. Just think to yourself that the opposite to success is not trying, rather than failure. If you've got a cracking CV and degree (you did Economics at Hull right), you'll be fine.

The thing is. It's easier for you because you've done the degree, so you're a more attractive candidate and you don't have the stress of essays etc. For me, I'm trying to balance my dissertation, two modules this term, and a language course with applying for things/practising online tests etc. It's a flipping nightmare.)
    History, i'd rather not say which uni for the sake of anonymity. Some of my friends know i'm on here Last year I had to balance my diss & 3 modules with working 30 hours per week, it was stressful beyond belief. Didn't even need the money that much, I just needed an excuse to get out of the house and have an escape from studying.

I have absolutely no idea what I want to do for a career and i'm not sure how i'm going to find out. I just look at all these things and think that i'm not remotely good enough, even though i'd probably do well if I got given a chance. Everywhere that looks interesting requires a relevant degree, relevant experience or some other requirement that I don't have.

My housemate did a placement with the Government last year, he applied for the fast stream this year and already has an assessment centre, he's going to be sorted. Another one also did a placement and he's already got a job with them for when he graduates. So he's sorted too. It's so frustrating how some people get all this help and I didn't get a single shred of careers help.

ReputationRep:
    Why does Zurich keep posting some poverty chick

People that work 9 to 5 and gym, do you go before or after? I've been attempting after recently and failing, 1 gym session in two weeks, bloody hell. Need to go back to the mornings

ReputationRep:
    Short hair >>>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Why does Zurich keep posting some poverty chick

People that work 9 to 5 and gym, do you go before or after? I've been attempting after recently and failing, 1 gym session in two weeks, bloody hell. Need to go back to the mornings
    I have a few mates who do a 9-5 and usually do gym after work. They go 3 times a week and thier reason for going after work is that it helps them take out the stress they built up over the day.

Personally, i prefer going gym in the morning before uni but im less of a gym person and more of the jogging in the morning type. Gym/jogging usually wakes me up properly in the morning and gets me going for a busy day ahead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I have absolutely no idea what I want to do for a career and i'm not sure how i'm going to find out. I just look at all these things and think that i'm not remotely good enough, even though i'd probably do well if I got given a chance. Everywhere that looks interesting requires a relevant degree, relevant experience or some other requirement that I don't have.
    I'm clueless too, just graduated with a degree that I don't know why I picked. I did well though, got a first, but that's the only decent thing on my CV, so if yours is good then you'll at least have something to work with. I've just been applying randomly for jobs on Reed, etc that look bearable, but I've had the same problem as my degree doesn't lead into any career. But I've finally been offered a generic office job, and it looks like I'm gonna take that. The prospect of doing something that, whilst not soul destroying, is not what I want to do is not very appealing, but I guess you have to get experience to go other places. As much as I'd like to pass the time laying around and not doing much until I figure out some sort of life plan, that'll have a negative impact on my CV. Just gotta try and stay motivated to do that whilst working.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in this thread is in the same boat :lol:

Let's all start a business. This time next year, we'll be millionaires.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Everyone in this thread is in the same boat :lol:

Let's all start a business. This time next year, we'll be owning a significant amount Manchester United shares.
    Fixed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    is mentoring a good thing for ucas,im doing it for enrichment in year 12.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    I'm a first year at Leicester, studying BA History. Just started 10 days ago.

Do you have any tips for the first year and the years beyond at Leicester?

ReputationRep:
    This time next year, we'll be millionaires.
    **** my mums on TSR.

I think that's a sign of political correctness gone mad unfortunately. I would share your views on this, even when not trolling. I'm strongly pro-equal marriage, and I criticise those that come up with all this pretentious reasons to oppose it, when the bottom line is it is very important to deliver those equal liberties to people. However, what I do oppose are things like gay pride, and slut walk etc. It's just people ramming their culture down your throat and I hate that. Same with the Glasgow Commonwealth games, ramming their cultures down our throats. There will be a lot of people hurt by gay marriage who don't support it, and that's fine. I do support it, but people shouldn't rub it in to those that don't.

Precisely. I'm pro-equal marriage like you and the slut walk/gay pride things just annoy me, it accentuates the problem rather than fixes it imo. For all the people who come out, the more people who dislike homosexuals or promiscuous women if they're doing marches like that. It just gets annoying. Coming from a minority, you have to realise why people don't like you and then destroy their logic, don't give them reason to hate you more.

It's hard man. I mean, I'm doing four modules (which have 3,000 word essays), I've got a 10,000 word dissertation and I'm doing a 19 week language course this year. I kind of feel I have to prioritise that and just don't have time for the applications. The other part is, they are just so time consuming. It would be nice if you could just email a CV/Covering letter so someone and that be that. I mean that would mean you could get 5-6 done in a day, but with each grad scheme wanting long questions, online tests and other **** it's just so time consuming. I've only applied for one scheme so far and I've already been rejected.

I get that. Prioritise the work in uni for sure. If the workload is too hard to cope with applying for jobs, apply for one or two if you can for experience and then use that as a curve.

I thank you for your kind words. Yeah. I'm trying to build a good CV Jam. I've been head of a society, done two political internships, done the year abroad in Australia, worked before uni. I'm hoping these things will factor in. I'd love to get on one of the political grad schemes (so Civil Service, HMRC, FSA, National Audit Office etc.) but they are ridiculously competitive. But equally, part of me doesn't want the office life just yet, part of me wants to do a one year MA and then teach abroad in Korea or Japan on one of their schemes. I'm just not really sure what I want out of life Jam and it's getting me down.
    You'll be fine Jam, I'm convinced of it.

You have a lot of experience, which can set you apart from the rest, trust me mate a lot of people don't have that. They just have a 2:1/1st and don't have internships etc.

I get you with the office life. My plan is hopefully to do some inter-railing by the time I'm 25. So would like a good paying job. Looking at grad schemes or recruitment jobs with commission. Hayles I guess knows where the money is at. Commission based work with a good basic salary is just a ticket to a nice lifestyle.

Oh right, can we hear from Hayles? Have you just graduated Hayles, are you on the Aldi Grad scheme? I've heard thats amazing. Somebody from my uni got on that and gets 37k plus a company car starting salary. Drinks on Hayles it seems.

No idea what is going to happen at WBA. I'd be disappointed with anything other than three points. Especially when we have City and Chelsea as our next two.

I thought she was doing it because she said she's on 40k and has an Audi which is what happens when you're on that scheme.

You should win vs WBA easy. Probably get a clean sheet too provided no major defensive injuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    Waste of time IMO. Do things that'll directly enhance your passion for the degree you're planning to study at uni. Small extra-curric things like mentoring hardly make a difference on your personal statement. That's my opinion.

(Original post by jam277)
    **** my mums on TSR.
    Your mum is Del Boy?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I think it's really good for your CV but not that important for UCAS. I didn't mention one word about EC's in my Personal Statement.

(Original post by xDave-)
    I'm clueless too, just graduated with a degree that I don't know why I picked. I did well though, got a first, but that's the only decent thing on my CV, so if yours is good then you'll at least have something to work with. I've just been applying randomly for jobs on Reed, etc that look bearable, but I've had the same problem as my degree doesn't lead into any career. But I've finally been offered a generic office job, and it looks like I'm gonna take that. The prospect of doing something that, whilst not soul destroying, is not what I want to do is not very appealing, but I guess you have to get experience to go other places. As much as I'd like to pass the time laying around and not doing much until I figure out some sort of life plan, that'll have a negative impact on my CV. Just gotta try and stay motivated to do that whilst working.
    Indeed. Well done though! That's the sort of job i'm looking for, because nearly everywhere requires basic office experience as a minimum. If you're managed to get that without much on your CV then that gives me hope Just have to keep trying I guess.

(Original post by hayles101)
    How old are you sr90? What is your degree in?
    This didn't show up in my quote list for some reason, but i'm nearly 24 with a History degree.

ReputationRep:
    Your mum is Del Boy?
    I was wondering where she got that from, she loves only fools and horses.

Yeah do mentoring. This'll help you get a uni place, afterwards when you're in uni look for placements in the summer.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2015
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.