The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6680
have any of you seen this? things haven't changed apart from bare below the elbow!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWjAeAa52o
Original post by billet-doux
That sounds pretty ace! Did you choose to be placed outside of London or is it all pretty random? When I hear stories like yours in comparison to the horror stories of iBSc, it makes me pretty tempted to just go straight into clinics :tongue: Yes, second year is such an effort. It's getting really tedious and we're not even half way through!

I requested it personally, as otherwise it is random, and 1/3 to 1/2 of the year will have to go out for a rotation at some point. I wanted to go for the first one to be away from the big teaching hospitals, and Chichester is the only one where I can get back home as easily as I can get to London.

2nd year was balls, but it does end and all will be well!

RollerBall
Chinchester? Christ, isn't that a treck?

About an hour and a half from London Bridge, which isn't dreadful. We're all staying on site (free accommodation), which seemed awful at first but it's very sociable and it's nice not to commute any distance in.
Original post by crazylemon
I liked on call. Did my first abg and got it first tIme without the patient yelping.
But I am so tired.

I have a 1:30 hour commute with no accom. It has been exhausting the las 8 weeks.

And next time is worse possibly...not living south of the river next year!

Will be atleast an hour commute for me for my next rotation (Woolwich for Neuro and Psych), with no accomm. Will be a definite change from this, whereas I'd personally rather remain here all year!

I enjoy the on calls too (sorry docs!), but didn't get to go on the one I planned to do yesterday evening because of some folks on our firm being rather competitive and not caring if someone else had planned to organise it first. Much rage.
Original post by RollerBall
Isn't GvH something completely different? As in it's from marrow transplants and the creation of antibodies against the hosts cells from the graft marrow?

You can (rarely) get transfusion-associated GvHD, which is very nasty. Almost always in patients who are either immunosuppressed or have some kind of haematological disease (I only know about this because we read about it when my husband was having chemo last year)
Original post by crazylemon
Oh god m friend had that on monday, we are supposed to book on calls as w have to do them to pass the firm but my friends book one got crash by 2 gunners who did all the procedures meaning that all my friend did was history take as whenever they went to Cannulate a patient the gunners had got tere first. These 2 have been doing this recently pissing alot of people off and not telling firm partners when train will happen etc. the worst med student behaviour ou can have basically

This isn't the first time these gunners have behaved like that either, very inconsiderate. The Doctors have certainly noticed though, which is reassuring.
What's a gunner? Never heard the phrase before
we have a tit like that in our group
Original post by clarusblue

Knowing a tit like that will describe to you a gunner pretty well!

Basically it's someone so uber keen to get ahead, they will do anything and everything to achieve this, even if it treads on the toes of others.
Original post by Mushi_master

Basically it's someone so uber keen to get ahead, they will do anything and everything to achieve this, even if it treads on the toes of others.

I'm going to educate my group on that phrase tomorrow then!

Makes my blood boil

Oh, we don't call them that over here. We call them "****ers".
Original post by clarusblue

See here :wink:
Reply 6690
Original post by Becca-Sarah

PRSOM :biggrin:

That's amazing. Scrolling along someone pops into my head for each one.

Although I'm scared because "perpetually enraged" actually sounds like me :frown: although I am only really annoyed by our gunner/one-track mind hybrid so I suppose that makes it slightly more acceptable

Wow, there's a term for these kinda people?? We've had some people like that sign up for way more bedside teaching slots/mock finals exams than theyre allowed. Seriously unimpressed by them :s-smilie:
Gunners are prevalent in med school - I wish I was one *lazy*
Original post by notepad
Gunners are prevalent in med school - I wish I was one *lazy*

Embrace your inner wasteman.
Reply 6696
I'm turning into a gunner - I can quote studies and meta-analysis. I'll still be failing MCEM A next month.
Original post by Blatant Troll
Sorry I've been off here for a while.

A mixture of reading & re-reading, and also writing notes. I only write notes on stuff I find confusing, or if I'm recapping/mindmapping later that day/week to see what's gone in. I feel there's too much to write up otherwise. I also like explaining stuff to mates if I'm comfortable with a topic that they're struggling with (rare! I normally just explain stuff to myself lol). If you can explain a topic clearly to someone, then you're winning.

That said, some people still make ridiculously detailed revision timetables and notes, all filed meticulously. Each to their own!

Sociology is definitely blaggable, but before the exam I'd have a leisurely read of that blue book they recommend for all your fluffy stuff throughout the year (Sociology as Applied to Medicine, Scambler). Epidemiology was relatively (and surprisingly) unblaggable - a fair bit of lecture-specific facts & figures. Nowhere near enough to fail the exam though.

I remember a lecture from the epidemiology course leader at the end of first term, in which she painstakingly highlighted everything we actually needed to revise for the exam, and was ostensibly doing us all a huge favour. But when I started going back over the lectures during the summer term, it quickly became apparent she basically wanted us to know everything.

Spoiler

Appreciate the reply :smile: I'm skipping EP/Soc&Health lectures.. as I just end up falling asleep. Will just run through the slides when I'm bored (probably towards the end of next yr lol).
FCA today - looking forward to it!!

Oh, and another thing - re: exam questions. What type of questions do they give? Recall or application to cases etc? And do they test like even the smallest of detail or stick to broad topics?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Renal
I'm turning into a gunner - I can quote studies and meta-analysis. I'll still be failing MCEM A next month.

Why are you taking it?
Reply 6699
Original post by Helenia
Why are you taking it?
For fun. Err... Primary FRCA practice? Erm... because it turns out I quite like EM... :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending