Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
pol pot noodles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Has Alex Salmond not yet grasped that he would have little to no power to enforce demands on the rest of the UK post-independence?
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mockery)
He's getting very desperate indeed.

I won't be paying Scotland ****, and I think that it is scandalous that he can make 'demands' like this and still claim the English and the Welsh don't deserve a vote on Scottish independence.
If he 'wins' this referendum he still has to actually negotiate how the UK's assets are split, except he is in a terrible negotiating position. He can't come out of those talks and go 'Oh well, Westminster won't give us what we want, looks like we aren't going to go independent after all' and it would be a major embarrassment for him to get lumbered with debt he doesn't want while assets he is counting on are removed.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't worry folks. It isn't going to happen.

The Scots are far too sensible to cast themselves off into a financial abyss with this nutter.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I like his logic. By it the UK can expect 92% of the value of the land that Scotland expects to take with it upon independence, plus 92% of the value of the buildings and infrastructure.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
I like his logic. By it the UK can expect 92% of the value of the land that Scotland expects to take with it upon independence, plus 92% of the value of the buildings and infrastructure.
I presume 92% is a population rather than GDP figure?

I'd only apply to publically owned land/infrastructure (although I'm sure the SNP wouldn't take issue with having 92% of London's private land value!).
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pull the other one, you're only upset that he's trying to break free of English control and imperialism.

I didn't read the OP and I don't really care what he's planning, but stop letting your notion of a 'United Britain' paint him as an idiot.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ripper-Roo)
stop letting your notion of a 'United Britain' paint him as an idiot.
He paints himself as an idiot. He isn't (he is very intelligent) but he certainly paints himself as one.
MASTER265
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's about time we decimated Scotland once and for all
pol pot noodles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
I presume 92% is a population rather than GDP figure?

I'd only apply to publically owned land/infrastructure (although I'm sure the SNP wouldn't take issue with having 92% of London's private land value!).
It would be about 92% by population, 92% by GVA, or 91% by GDP. The SNP would be getting the 8%!
pol pot noodles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pull the other one, you're only upset that he's trying to break free of English control and imperialism.

I didn't read the OP and I don't really care what he's planning, but stop letting your notion of a 'United Britain' paint him as an idiot.
He continues to claim that an independent Scotland would have automatic entry into the EU, despite the EU themselves saying it wouldn't be the case.
He continues to claim that an independent Scotland would be in a currency union with the rest of the UK, despite all three main parties saying no.
He claims an independent Scotland would still be in NATO, despite NATO saying they would be refused membership if they attempted to get rid of British nuclear weapons based in Scotland, which Salmond still maintains is exactly what the SNP will do.
He claims to want to keep and restore all of Scotland's historic army regiments, despite the fact the numbers don't add up, since that alone would require 14,000 manpower, out of 15,000 allocated for the total envisioned Scottish military.
He ignores numerous reports that point out flaws in his proposed economic and fiscal policies, and that raise concern over the planned reliance on north sea oil and banking.
He keeps making ridiculous demands on the rest of the UK, like we should take all the debt and have to pay for x and y, and then claims we're bullies when we say no and threatens to default post-independence.
The YES campaign is floundering, they're over 20 points behind NO in opinion polls, people aren't buying into his constant fantasies, the SNP have lost the confidence of the Scottish business community. Yeah Alex Salmond is a bit of a wally.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pol pot noodles)
It would be about 92% by population, 92% by GVA, or 91% by GDP. The SNP would be getting the 8%!
Yup.

And I'd hazard a guess the share by value of public sector assets in Scotland is less than in the rUK - presumebaly why Salmond is suggesting it as a negotiating position.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Yup.

And I'd hazard a guess the share by value of public sector assets in Scotland is less than in the rUK - presumebaly why Salmond is suggesting it as a negotiating position.
I wonder what 92% of the value of the oilfields is.
CFL2013
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-services.html

Well that's the Yes campaign jumping the shark :bricks:

Still, fun while it lasted
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
I wonder what 92% of the value of the oilfields is.
Very true
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CFL2013)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-services.html

Well that's the Yes campaign jumping the shark :bricks:

Still, fun while it lasted
Doesn't seem like he's thought it through. By the same logic, Scotland should be forced to buy out rUK's share in Scottish public services and properties. Surely the two would mostly cancel each other out?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Doesn't seem like he's thought it through. By the same logic, Scotland should be forced to buy out rUK's share in Scottish public services and properties. Surely the two would mostly cancel each other out?
Well, by the same logic, he'll owe the UK quite a bit of cash for its 92% share of the land he wants to take with him, and the oilfields.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Not in Nat world. What's mine is mine and what yours is mine.

Salmonds trying to
Play wedge politics now.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Not in Nat world. What's mine is mine and what yours is mine.

Salmonds trying to
Play wedge politics now.
It's desperate stuff. Nobody is forcing Scotland out-if it chooses to leave then it has no right to claim part of institutions belonging to a state it refuses to be part of.

I also find it odd how he still hasn't got hold of an accurate map of the UK. Wales and Northern Ireland once more seem to have vanished from thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
It's desperate stuff. Nobody is forcing Scotland out-if it chooses to leave then it has no right to claim part of institutions belonging to a state it refuses to be part of.

I also find it odd how he still hasn't got hold of an accurate map of the UK. Wales and Northern Ireland once more seem to have vanished from thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are some claims that Scotland can make reference assets and liabilities, but I think Salmond is just trying to stir up trouble. He'll benefit from some English Tory MP saying something and that will instantly be turns into 'this is what Westminster thinks of Scotland.'

There was some input from a legal expert from Strathclyde university (I think) a few weeks back high lighting that splits tend to be along geographic areas. Not off balance sheets.

So although the SNP are right that we're entitled to a portion of the gold held in the vaults at the BoE, you can't expect the service that the BoE offers to be split.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

There was me thinking it wasn't about Scotland v England.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.83%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.44%
Not great so far... (229)
35.5%
I want to drop out! (124)
19.22%

Watched Threads