Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard Dawkins.)
    What do you think of the punishment for killing the camels

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They killed the man. They basically stole, killed and spread mischief in the land.

http://quran.com/5/33

(Original post by FreedomCostsTax)
    That is a good point. The fact of the matter is that you either accept this narration as true and acknowledge that they became healthy, or you don't accept the narration as true at all, which means that the whole thing simply never happened. You can't have your cake and eat it.
    Pretty much :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabriellakhan)
    Salam everyone, I recently converted to Islam does anyone have any advice on how I can be a good muslim. I've never dressed immodestly, but I have started wearing looser clothing and am hoping to wear a hijab soon. Also, do I make dua after I've prayed? Or is dua something I can do any time of the day? I'm sorry if I seem lost I'm just new to this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wa'alaykumasalaam. Welcome to the ISOC! Alhamdullilah, thats great

There are plenty of ways to be a good Muslim;, be kind to your parents, neighbors, siblings and so on. Read the five daily prayers, Qur'an etc... The list can go on and on Is there anything specific you want to improve?

Yh you can make dua after you've prayed, I normally do it after I've prayed too Heres a great read about the ettiquette about making dua - http://islamqa.info/en/36902

ReputationRep:
    Al-Hasan al-Basri said: "I used to enter the rooms of the Messenger of God during the caliphate of 'Uthman; I would touch their ceilings for I was a grown up boy then. I was 14 years old when 'Uthman was killed." A beautiful tradition reported by Al-Hasan al-Basri on the authority of Anas ibn Malik is the following. He said: The Messenger of God peace be upon him used to give the Friday sermon while standing near a piece of wood against which he would lean his back. When the number of people increased in the mosque he said: Make a pulpit of two steps for me, which they did. When the Prophet stood up to give the sermon on Friday the said piece of wood moaned as if it expressed its feeling of missing the Messenger of God peace be upon him. Anas commented: I was in the mosque and heard the piece moan. It continued to moan until the Prophet descended to it and embraced it. Then it was silent. As a matter of fact, whenever Al-Hasan narrated this tradition he would cry and say: "O slaves of God! A piece of wood misses the Messenger of God! It is you who should do so."

ReputationRep:
    "The heart is inherently dependent on Allah in two ways: from the point of view of worship, which is the ultimate goal, and from the point of view of seeking His help and relying upon Him, which are the means to that end. The heart cannot be sound, or succeed, or find joy, or be happy, or feel pleasure, or be good, or be at peace, or find tranquility, except by worshipping its Lord, loving Him and returning to Him. Even if it attains all that it can enjoy of created things, it will not feel at peace or find tranquility, because it has an inherent need for its Lord, for He is the focus of its worship, love and seeking, and this is the only way to attain joy, happiness, pleasure, peace and tranquility …

…For if a person is helped to attain what he loves, seeks, desires and wants, but he does not worship Allah, he will never achieve anything but sorrow, regret and suffering. He can never be free of the pain and hardship of this life except through loving Allah sincerely, so that Allah becomes his ultimate desire and he loves Him for what He is, and he loves anyone or anything else only for His sake, and he does not love anything for its own except Allah. If he does not achieve this (level of love), he has not properly understood the true meaning of "La illaha ill Allah" or of tawhid or of 'ubudiyyah or of loving Allah. There is something lacking in his iman and tawhid, and he will suffer pain, regret and anguish accordingly."

ReputationRep:
    It has been mentioned that a group of righteous people were sitting and amongst them was a person of iman. He desired to make them hold the world in contempt and bring to mind the hereafter. What did he do? He took a leaf and placed something insignificant into it. He took this thing and began to go round showing it to all of them. Every time one of them looked at the leaf he did so with surprise and began to laugh at it yet they did not understand its significance.

Then he said: This small and contemptible thing which I showed you is a dirty wing of a fly and this world with all its people, possessions, desires, rivers, lands, days and nights is more contemptible and insignificant to Allah than this filthy wing.
    Those righteous people who were in the gathering said: After that we recovered from our heedlessness and felt a strong blow to the heart which shook our souls and we realised that his intent was to remind us of the hadeeth of the Messenger of Allah sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam, "If this world was equal (in value) to the wing of a fly in the sight of Allah He would never have given a sip of water to the disbeliever."

ReputationRep:
    "Life is nothing but an accumulation of many breaths. So every breath is just a precious diamond which cannot be purchased with anything in the world. It is a priceless jewel which has got no substitute in value. So in movements and talks, and in sorrows and happiness, such a priceless breath should not be spent in vain. To destroy it is to court destruction. An intelligent man cannot lose it. When a man gets up at dawn, he should enter into an agreement with himself just as a tradesman contracts with his partner. At that time, he should address his mind thus: O mind, you have been given no other property as precious as life. When it will end, the principal will end and despondency will come in seeking profit in business. Today is a new day. Allah has given you time, that is, He has delayed your death. He has bestowed upon you innumerable gifts. Think that you are already dead. So don't waste time. Every breath is a precious jewel. Man has got for each day and night twenty-four treasure houses in twenty-four hours. Fill up these then find them filled up with divine sights in the world next. If they are not filled up with good works, they will be filled up with intense darkness wherefrom a bad stench will come out and envelop them all around. Another treasure house will neither give him happiness nor sorrow. That is an hour in which he slept, or was careless, or was engaged in any lawful work of this world. He will feel grieved for it's remaining vacant."

ReputationRep:
    What do you see when you look at me
    Do you see someone limited,
    or someone free
    All some people can do is just look and stare
    Simply because they can't see my hair
    Others think I am controlled and uneducated
    They think that I am limited and un-liberated
    They are so thankful that they are not me
    Because they would like to remain "free"
    Well free isn't exactly the word I would've used
    Describing women who are cheated on and abused
    They think that I do not have opinions or voice
    They think that being hooded isn't my choice
    They think that the hood makes me look caged
    That my husband or dad are totally outraged
    All they can do is look at me in fear
    And in my eye there is a tear
    Not because I have been stared at or made fun of
    But because people are ignoring the one up above
    On the day of judgment they will be the fools
    Because they were too ashamed to play by their own rules
    Maybe the guys won't think I am a cutie
    But at least I am filled with more inner beauty
    See I have declined from being a guy's toy
    Because I won't let myself be controlled by a boy
    Real men are able to appreciate my mind
    And aren't busy looking at my behind
    Hooded girls are the ones really helping the Muslim cause
    The role that we play definitely deserves applause
    I will be recognized because I am smart and bright
    And because some people are inspired by my sight
    The smart ones are attracted by my tranquility
    In the back of their mind they wish they were me
    We have the strength to do what we think is right
    Even if it means putting up a life long fight
    You see we are not controlled by a mini skirt and tight shirt
    We are given only respect, and never treated like dirt
    So you see, we are the ones that are free and liberated
    We are not the ones that are sexually terrorized and violated
    We are the ones that are free and pure
    We're free of STD's that have no cure
    So when people ask you how you feel about the hood
    Just sum it up by saying 'baby its all good'

:congrats:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard Dawkins.)
    X
    Love your posts, keep at it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    Wa'alaykumasalaam. Welcome to the ISOC! Alhamdullilah, thats great

There are plenty of ways to be a good Muslim;, be kind to your parents, neighbors, siblings and so on. Read the five daily prayers, Qur'an etc... The list can go on and on Is there anything specific you want to improve?

Yh you can make dua after you've prayed, I normally do it after I've prayed too Heres a great read about the ettiquette about making dua - http://islamqa.info/en/36902
    Thank you! it is great.
    Well..my parents aren't actually talking to me because I converted, but I think they'll come around to it eventually. Also I haven't told them that I love and want to marry a Muslim Pakistani man. He showed me the right path and im so grateful for that. I want to spend my life with him but my parents wouldn't approve of him. I don't know how I can convince them I know what I'm doing. They see me as immature and I can't make big decisions according to them, but I know that Islam is the right path. And I wish they would see it too:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Salam everyone, I recently converted to Islam does anyone have any advice on how I can be a good muslim. I've never dressed immodestly, but I have started wearing looser clothing and am hoping to wear a hijab soon. Also, do I make dua after I've prayed? Or is dua something I can do any time of the day? I'm sorry if I seem lost I'm just new to this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wa'alaikumussalaam Alhamdulillah that's awesome Welcome!
    Best time to pray is after Salah and Insha'Allah (by the will of Allah) your prayers will be answered.

what Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) read in Dua:

Qatadah asked Anas:
    Which Supplication would the Prophet (ﷺ) often make ? He replied: The supplication he would usually recite was: "O Allah, give us in this world what is good and in the next what is good, and protect us from the punishment of Hell-fire".
    The version of Ziyad adds: When Anas wished to supplicate, he uttered this supplication. When he uttered some other supplication, he combined it with this supplication.
    Grade: Sahih

Whenever you can anytime of the day, remember Allah as Allah says: "So remember Me and I will remember You. And be grateful to me and do not deny me." [Qur'an 2:152]

by reading Lailaha illAllah and Alhamdulillah anytime of the day and as much times as you like:

Jabir bin `Abdullah (ra) narrated that :
    the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: “The best remembrance is: ‘there is none worthy of worship except Allah (Lā ilāha illallāh)’ and the best supplication is: ‘All praise is due to Allah (Al-ḥamdulillāh).’”

Grade: Hasan
    Jami' at Tirmidhi 3383

and sallAllahu alaihi wassalamm (sending blessing to prophet Muhammad - similar also read in every Salah but in Salah we ask Allah to send peace and blessings to Prophet Muhammad and his family and also to Prophet Ibrahim and his family) as:

Ibn Mas'ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
    The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "The people who will be nearest to me on the Day of Resurrection will be those who supplicate Allah more often for me."

[At-Tirmidhi].

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wasalam sis. Masha Allah that's great news

Start off by doing the fardth (compulsory) actions e.g. learning how to pray. You can watch some YouTube videos on how to do this or go to your local mosque.
    Stay away from haram like drinking alcohol, eating pork etc.
    Yeah dua can be made whenever.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me x
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    :yy: good video bro! run out of reps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyoti)
    :yy: good video bro! run out of reps
    Thanks bro :yy:

ReputationRep:
    What is so inherently wrong with some muslims, that they actually go out to join ISIS? Why they want to risk jumping head over heels into potential hellfire? Do they have no sense in them?

Secterianism by tafkiri's is one thing:

Sheikhs urging people to go to 'jijad' in Syria.

People do not realize the whole thing going on in Syria was an attempt to destabalize the government.

If Israel are calling for people to go in there, what do you honestly think is the situation?

Israel actually WANT syria to be destabilized, it's a political game.

Hezbollah are fighting ISIS,

Israel do not like either Hezbollah or any of their Allies, (hezbollah beating Israel in 2006).

I am with solidarity with the syrian people, to use other means to bring change, not allow tafkiri's - as they have- to flood into their country.

If Israel, the US, and tafkiri terrorists are ALL against one common enemy, think hard as to what you're being made to believe.

The US, AND Israel want Assad out, when in fact, Saudi Arabia have a far worse human rights record - when Israel themselves have a far worse human rights record?

Does it add up? Place aside your sectarian biases for the greater good of mankind and think.

Why are Israel so keen on destabalizing Syria, and not Saudi-arabia, or the muslims and non-muslims in Gaza and in their own lands they oppress?

Do you honestly think Israel care about the humanitarian rights of muslims in Syria? Once we remove our secterian goggles placed upon us by the hate preachers, we can open our eyes and realise what a con we are being sold here.

Tell the hate preachers why no tafkiri invasion so far has happened to liberate the palestinians?

I denounce all terrorism by the way, all of it, i want peace and diplomacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tawheed)
    You're welcome to read this: "Stop Idolizing Bashar Assad" on : http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/...-bashar-assad/

I, a shia muslim, do not idolize or support Bashar al assad. However, i am wise enough to know that Israel, and the US, want Assad out for their own gain. While he indeed is a dictator, he allowed religious freedom, and i would support a better way to veto the will of the people and get him out, which would not destabalize syria and lead to the murder of so far : over 200k people.

Assad, by the way dear brother, is not a shia muslim. He's an alawite, not a shia.

We really do need to put aside out sectarian differences here and work for the better good of humanity.

By the way, i must reiterate, the human rights record in Saudi-Arabia, and other countries are even worse than Syria's. In Syria, like in Saudi Arabia, there was indeed a dictatorship and human rights issues - but there was religious freedom, while absense of political freedom, unlike in saudi arabia.

Secterianism and those who were intoxicated by it did not realize that Israel were well poised to support the attack on Assad by ISIS and the terrorists groups in Syria, and those who suffered were the genuine, non-violent syrians, or those who took up arms and genuinely wanted reform, who did not see what was coming - an invasion of terrorists.
    Do you mind answering the question, namely, do you hold similar scorn of Bashar and Hafez al-Assad as you do of Saddam Hussein?

P.S Israel and the US wanted Saddam out the way as well. Likewise, there was "religious freedom" comparable to Syria in Saddam's Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rat_Bag)
    Do you mind answering the question, namely, do you hold similar scorn of Bashar and Hafez al-Assad as you do of Saddam Hussein?

P.S Israel and the US wanted Saddam out the way as well. Likewise, there was "religious freedom" comparable to Syria in Saddam's Iraq.
    Saddam turned into a rouge animal towards the end, and Israel would have wanted another US puppet who was more adherent to them, than Saddam.

I condemn Any dictator, from the republicans in the US, Israel, Saudi Arabia, ISIS, Alqaeda, and also Assad. Saddam hussein was a particularly bad dictator, who ruled under far more fear with far less religious freedom.

BUT, for the greater good, i would rather have a secular Assad in power than the 200k dead, economy bust, and tafkiri's in charge in Syria now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tawheed)
    You're welcome to read this: "Stop Idolizing Bashar Assad" on : http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/...-bashar-assad/

I, a shia muslim, do not idolize or support Bashar al assad. However, i am wise enough to know that Israel, and the US, want Assad out for their own gain. While he indeed is a dictator, he allowed religious freedom, and i would support a better way to veto the will of the people and get him out, which would not destabalize syria and lead to the murder of so far : over 200k people.

Assad, by the way dear brother, is not a shia muslim. He's an alawite, not a shia.

We really do need to put aside out sectarian differences here and work for the better good of humanity.

By the way, i must reiterate, the human rights record in Saudi-Arabia, and other countries are even worse than Syria's. In Syria, like in Saudi Arabia, there was indeed a dictatorship and human rights issues - but there was religious freedom, while absense of political freedom, unlike in saudi arabia.

Secterianism and those who were intoxicated by it did not realize that Israel were well poised to support the attack on Assad by ISIS and the terrorists groups in Syria, and those who suffered were the genuine, non-violent syrians, or those who took up arms and genuinely wanted reform, who did not see what was coming - an invasion of terrorists.

The support of Syria by Iran and Hezbollah are what was seen even in the time of Muhammed pbuh, when he himself made pacts with non-muslims , even his enemy at the time Abu Sufiyan, or the Jewish folk among the Ummah, because that is Islam - diplomacy to get the most amount of peace we can get.

Now, Iran, and Hezbollah do not want Syria to be run by ISIS. They would rather have the secular presence of Assad. The Syrian people therefore, inshAllah in the future should have means by which to bring out reform.

To single out Assad is quite strange, seeing as there are worse human rights records in Saudi Arabia, and so on , but that does not negate the fact we must use diplomacy, and not let our judgement be clouded by secterian hatred, when Assad himself isn't even a shia muslim.
    Read it. It doesn't really change my view or contradict my post though. I said it was only some shia who did it.

Thats good. Other people want Assad out because he's a tyrant. You seem to under the impression that Assad provided the Syrians with some sort of utopia. Not for no reason do people suddenly decide to rise against their leader. I could make the same argument that you're making for Assad for Saddam, he wasn't very much in favour with the west in the latter days of his career.

Fair enough, doesn't change the fact that he has some support from the Shia though.

Bigging up Assad by saying he allowed "religious freedom" isn't a way to work for the better good of humanity.

Last time I checked, the Saudi's, unlike Assad, weren't using chemical weapons on their people though. They have some issues which need to be worked on but I don't think they're as bad as him.

Calling anyone non-syrian who wanted to fight against Assad a "terrorist" is wrong.

From the position of strength we're now in, I don't think the Prophet (pbuh) would make treaties with tyrants and let them kill Muslims as they wanted.

Rather, Iran wants a state in which it has great influence, regardless of what becomes of the country's people. Syria isn't going to transform into some great bastion of democracy if Assad wins. It's naive to think that this tyrant would drop his family's control if he's victorious.

You do the same with Saudi because the Salafi aren't too friendly with Iran. I normally don't bother quoting but I couldn't help it this time. Your post seemed to be vaguely attacking sunnis, so I replied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)

Last time I checked, the Saudi's, unlike Assad, weren't using chemical weapons on their people though. They have some issues which need to be worked on but I don't think they're as bad as him.
    Dear brother,

I highly recommend you to read a report on the use of chemical weapons, by a UN inspector:

Infact, evidence found it was ISIS groups who used chemical weapons. Assad a dictator he may be, was warned if he used it, it would cause intervention. He was infact, in the ascendency when he was warned, only an idiot would then use weapons.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.