Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    Did you speak Slovak before you started? If not, how is the learning going? I've been learning Czech which is pretty similar, it's not easy! I love how it sounds though.
    I didn't know a word but the lessons have been surprisingly ok! It's easy to pick up everyday language, numbers, items, certain questions.. but when it gets to pronouns :mad::mad: A minority speak English so I'm constantly using every ounce of the little Slovak I know. Slovak, Czech, Latin and Greek make English look like a doddle. When did you start learning Czech??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    DO they take externals for that course?
    Question not directed at me but King's take externals for most of their courses, if not all, Medical Ethics and Law included.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Purple)
    I didn't know a word but the lessons have been surprisingly ok! It's easy to pick up everyday language, numbers, items, certain questions.. but when it gets to pronouns :mad::mad: A minority speak English so I'm constantly using every ounce of the little Slovak I know. Slovak, Czech, Latin and Greek make English look like a doddle. When did you start learning Czech??
    I only started learning Czech in May this year, when I found out I was going on an exchange to Prague in September. I am undecided as to whether to carry on with it, because it isn't the most useful/widely spoken language, but I really really love the language and the country so I'm quite tempted. Prague is one of my favourite places ever. How are you finding Slovakia? Which city are you studying in? I've only been briefly to Bratislava and it seemed lovely but I have no idea what it would be like to study there. Do you think you will consider staying in Slovakia after you've graduated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    DO they take externals for that course?
    Sounds interesting and might have to have a look. I was going to do a module C death autopsy and law but that would only be a thrid of my year...
    Kinkerz has already answered this but yes, they do. IIRC, the year I did it there were 5 externals out of 16 total places. It's popular though so does involve an interview and an observed group exercise, whether you're internal or external (assuming they haven't changed it recently).

ReputationRep:
    bloody medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    I only started learning Czech in May this year, when I found out I was going on an exchange to Prague in September. I am undecided as to whether to carry on with it, because it isn't the most useful/widely spoken language, but I really really love the language and the country so I'm quite tempted. Prague is one of my favourite places ever. How are you finding Slovakia? Which city are you studying in? I've only been briefly to Bratislava and it seemed lovely but I have no idea what it would be like to study there. Do you think you will consider staying in Slovakia after you've graduated?
    As long as it doesn't impede on your studies then why not? Especially if you'll be going back there a few times. Go for it, it could only ever work as an advantage I guess Slovakia is, different. I live in Bratislava, not London at all but hey I've adjusted, made friends and I'm rarely ever bored. Paahaha couldn't pay me to stay here after I graduate!

ReputationRep:
    Haven't done any work this first month now.. and panicking a bit. Already like 25 lectures + behind. The work load is crazy :O can't believe this.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone quickly clarify for me: systolic murmurs are best heard in inspiration and diastolic in expiration, right? I think I've been given contradicting information in regards to this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishman129)
    Haven't done any work this first month now.. and panicking a bit. Already like 25 lectures + behind. The work load is crazy :O can't believe this.
    Oh God, exactly the same - a month in and the grand total of my academic efforts is about 2 hours of anatomy pre-reading. Why am I doing this degree?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemo14)
    Oh God, exactly the same - a month in and the grand total of my academic efforts is about 2 hours of anatomy pre-reading. Why am I doing this degree?!
    Sad times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Could someone quickly clarify for me: systolic murmurs are best heard in inspiration and diastolic in expiration, right? I think I've been given contradicting information in regards to this.
    That's what this mess of squiggles I call lecture notes say. That or something about bisexual sisters, you never know with these things.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

Glad to know that this is universal across all medical schools then :lol:

Really ought to finish at least one PBL before the night before...

Exams in 3 weeks ffs :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)

Got an exam tomorrow, Barts is going easy on you. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Had one last monday. :sexface:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Good luck

Maybe BL is.. I wouldn't know any different

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Penguinsaysquack)

Thank god i'm not the only one in this position!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've done fa work either, tbh. Feels good, man.

On another note: Worth going to anaesthetics/emergency medicine student conferences, or is it just going to go over my head at this point?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've done fa work either, tbh. Feels good, man.

On another note: Worth going to anaesthetics/emergency medicine student conferences, or is it just going to go over my head at this point?
    You could put it on your CV later if you want, bulk that **** up early. Even if you get nothing from it- assuming you have spare time.

ReputationRep:
    You could put it on your CV later if you want, bulk that **** up early. Even if you get nothing from it- assuming you have spare time.
    You'd put it on your CV that you went to a conference? Seems a bit... straw-clutching.

ReputationRep:
    That's what this mess of squiggles I call lecture notes say. That or something about bisexual sisters, you never know with these things.
    Nah, as we learnt it - the inspiration/expiration schizzle is more to help with heart side rather than systolic/diastolic (valve options).
    Right sided murmurs louder on inspiration (think increased venous venous return) and left sided on expiration.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.