This discussion is closed.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
Yeah, I guessed. XD In the middle of writing out quotes on the Rise of Sinn Fein.
Learning quotes is certainly the dullest aspect to history revision.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sure all of you will be fully aware of my TSRversary which will be in about 40 minutes, and although I've got to go off and get some work done now, I hope you will all join me for a celebratory glass of champagne tomorrow evening.

Kittiara - you can have a diet coke
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
I'm sure all of you will be fully aware of my TSRversary which will be in about 40 minutes, and although I've got to go off and get some work done now, I hope you will all join me for a celebratory glass of champagne tomorrow evening.

Kittiara - you can have a diet coke
As long as it is sufficiently expensive (preferably on the establishment )

Posted from TSR Mobile
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Diane Abbott Regen?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-10259801.html
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We all know Burnham is going to run win, after all, McLusky has backed him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thehistorybore)
Why learn quotes? Understand what Historians actually think instead. It makes cross examinin g the ideas with facts a lot easier as well.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Shame they've offerred mo context to that, it ,ay well have been ironic. Still, I dont thibbots ever advocated genocide in any case!
Blue Meltwater
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've never bothered with quotes, and sometimes even neglect historians' names if I'm not well-versed in the area; it's usually enough to recite and comment upon the different historical interpretations and movements, I've found.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"Most whites would be more than happy if we were back in chains. Most would never admit it. But deep down they know it’s true. The only reason why some whites put on airs is purely political. It LOOKS bad to be racist. It carries a bad feeling and tone. Never mind that it IS bad but the LOOK is more important than the actual thing."

"This is going on all over the continent. Aids was made as a means for population control by white people. Ebola was made as a form of biological warfare to control black populations in Africa.

This is what whites do on top of that they’ll poison the rivers and dry up reservoirs causing mass famine and then you get these white celebs that do comic relief where they’ll dole out the pot bellied starving african child. All designed to promote white supremacy

"I'm not anti-white.

I do not hate white people, in the same way, that I don't hate Tigers...but I understand a Tigers nature. i understand that Tigers kill, with no remorse.

I understand the nature of white people"

standard tsr race politics
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
Shame they've offerred mo context to that, it ,ay well have been ironic. Still, I dont thibbots ever advocated genocide in any case!
She's already embroiled in a row over telling Males and White people not to go to her anti racism event, with the pretty amusing denial of being racist of "I, an ethnic minority woman, cannot be racist or sexist to white men, because racism and sexism describes structures of privilege based on race and gender. And therefore women of colour and non-binary genders cannot be racist or sexist as we do not stand to benefit from such a system." (link)

Whilst she might not be racist and the genocide thing probably was a joke, it certainly seems that the ingrained hatred of white people is pretty strong in this one. Quite how she was made Diversity Officer of Goldsmiths is beyond me.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Why learn quotes? Understand what Historians actually think instead. It makes cross examinin g the ideas with facts a lot easier as well.
I do a mixture of quotes and cross examining. Best way, I think.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

This is what whites do on top of that they’ll poison the rivers and dry up reservoirs causing mass famine and then you get these white celebs that do comic relief where they’ll dole out the pot bellied starving african child. All designed to promote white supremacy
How can you not agree with this?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
Does it really matter? Africa has had decades to produce high standards of living and it has been an abysmal failure.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because you just look weak if you state 'historians suggest'. Your essay would get more marks if you can drop in quotes that convey a particular opinions.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
I do a mixture of quotes and cross examining. Best way, I think.
Indeedy. Good luck today!
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
Because white people control the Sun, and people give money to charities tyo endourse white supremacy? lmfao I'm a Tiger, I cannot control my nature; sorry.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because you just look weak if you state 'historians suggest'. Your essay would get more marks if you can drop in quotes that convey a particular opinions.
"David Starkey makes the argument that.....because" is better. Just putting in quotes is worse imo because you're not addressing the argumrent, you're addressing the opinion.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"David Starkey makes the argument that.....because" is better. Just putting in quotes is worse imo because you're not addressing the argumrent, you're addressing the opinion.
Yuck, David Starkey. Of course; the whole essay is evaluating an argument, it would be hard not to look at alternative opinions. What I'm saying is that it is better to have a quote that sums up the historian's argument than not having one.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
She's already embroiled in a row over telling Males and White people not to go to her anti racism event, with the pretty amusing denial of being racist of "I, an ethnic minority woman, cannot be racist or sexist to white men, because racism and sexism describes structures of privilege based on race and gender. And therefore women of colour and non-binary genders cannot be racist or sexist as we do not stand to benefit from such a system." (link)

Whilst she might not be racist and the genocide thing probably was a joke, it certainly seems that the ingrained hatred of white people is pretty strong in this one. Quite how she was made Diversity Officer of Goldsmiths is beyond me.
It doesn't surprise me at all to be honest, it's a pretty common point of view in far-left/Marxist/liberation campaign circles. Most of it effectively seems to be neo-Marxist analysis with class replaced with race/gender/sexuality as appropriate. I think she's a bit of an idiot for going about it this way to say the least and sounds thoroughly unpleasant, but I wouldn't entirely disagree with the base concept that in a western country men and white people can never experience sexist or racism in the way women or ethnic minorities do because they structural factors are hugely significant and arguably more so than simple derogatory remarkable or low-level discrimination.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yuck, David Starkey. Of course; the whole essay is evaluating an argument, it would be hard not to look at alternative opinions. What I'm saying is that it is better to have a quote that sums up the historian's argument than not having one.
Don't Tories love Starkey? I disagree with him and I still think he's a boss.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads