Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Thank you I'm going to explore every other possible avenue now. I was hoping there would be more discussion about what I could do now but they have washed their hands of me now. Have tried to arrange a careers meeting and they're going to get back to me.
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I second what everyone else has said that I'm sorry to hear about this happening, and I think it's pretty bad that your institution has allowed this to suddenly spiral. I'd also question their plan of moving you for one week to a new school when you're already stressed and expecting you to suddenly become more confident.

I suspect confidence coupled with a lack of proper support has a lot to do with you not having demonstrated he standards to their satisfaction so far so try to remind yourself of your achievements. To have been rated two in some things shows you have strengths. Keep focussed on these in whatever you move in to. If you work as a TA your passion along with what you've learnt will hopefully make you a very good one.

Best of luck.

XXX
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps, you should name them here. Prospective students would love to know the support (or lack thereof) at different institutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Perhaps, you should name them here. Prospective students would love to know the support (or lack thereof) at different institutions.
    I don't feel comfortable doing that. And I don't think my experience was typical of the (overall excellent) university.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel comfortable doing that. And I don't think my experience was typical of the (overall excellent) university.
    As you wish.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I found it very hard being moved and the new school. While it was outstanding they had a very different way of doing things and I was expected to plan independently after just two days. It was never going to work. I wanted to discuss this in the meeting today but it was very clearly not up for discussion. I think it's a shame they moved me because I was beginning to feel really confident in my placement school.
    It sounds like an absolute nightmare for you to be honest and as though the uni have realised what's happened and panicked to protect their statistics.

At least if you leave like this, there's hope that you can return to teaching at a later date if you choose. There are other routes and one of those may increase your confidence much more than the one you went with.

We had one of our trainees fail yesterday (she was simply pushed) and they're allowing her to resit without taking any form of break which is just ridiculous. She's been struggling for quite a while now and we've all been trying to help but nothing was working for her. It's hard but again, no amount of wanting to be a teacher can make you a teacher. A break would have given her space to reevaluate but she's having none of it.

So just breathe, think everything through and talk to people about your next steps. You haven't failed at a part that will stop you from training ever again and there are ways you can gain more confidence if you choose to try again. The way you have been treated is absolutely dreadful and we're all here for you if you need anything, okay? We're all still one big training family.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get that job. I'm really down about it to be honest. I think I kept telling myself I wouldn't be bothered but I really am. It hurts even more because I'm overqualified for it and yet I still didn't get it. I can't even get a support job. How pathetic is that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else starting to really freak out? My contract came through today, I'm getting emails about our NQT week and I don't want to finish. I'm not ready. I still feel like a half cooked teacher and don't want to have to leave my comfortable little bubble to land on loads of responsibility and scariness.

I'm not ready :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Anyone else starting to really freak out? My contract came through today, I'm getting emails about our NQT week and I don't want to finish. I'm not ready. I still feel like a half cooked teacher and don't want to have to leave my comfortable little bubble to land on loads of responsibility and scariness.

My PGCE course finished on Friday...I had my first interview yesterday (been really late with applying for jobs) and amazingly got the job! I absolutely didn't expect to get it and am a bit panicked at how fast everything is going...they expect me to be a 'real' teacher..eek!

ReputationRep:

I'm freaking out too. But I guess it's natural to freak out, we are about to start our first proper year of teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I didn't get that job. I'm really down about it to be honest. I think I kept telling myself I wouldn't be bothered but I really am. It hurts even more because I'm overqualified for it and yet I still didn't get it. I can't even get a support job. How pathetic is that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am so sorry you've had a knock back. There is so often a hidden agenda behind job appointments and you mustn't let yourself take it personally, impossible though that is to do sometimes. It could have been a done deal behind the scenes before you even got there, with interviews held merely to comply with employment law. I'm afraid that happens more times than you think. There will be other things.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not pathetic at all. Different jobs look for different things... Often it's just the luck of the draw whether someone with more experience or a particular individual thing they are looking for that you couldn't have known turns up. With teaching I have even heard of teachers being offered jobs based on piano playing (when there were many many similarly skilled candidates).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenbeans123)
    My PGCE course finished on Friday...I had my first interview yesterday (been really late with applying for jobs) and amazingly got the job! I absolutely didn't expect to get it and am a bit panicked at how fast everything is going...they expect me to be a 'real' teacher..eek!
    Congrats! It's terrifying, isn't it? I'm ready to do this but I need a bit more handholding for a while. The massive step up is just scary.

(Original post by Red Lightning)
    I'm freaking out too. But I guess it's natural to freak out, we are about to start our first proper year of teaching.
    I feel like I need a big 'to do' list for the summer. How do I even run a whole GCSE and A level course? I don't know how the school works in regards to books etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You don't know what was happening behind the scenes. I missed out on two and both times found out after the event that there was a preferred candidate. Something will turn up. Just take it slow and evaluate your decisions and you'll get there.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like an absolute nightmare for you to be honest and as though the uni have realised what's happened and panicked to protect their statistics.

At least if you leave like this, there's hope that you can return to teaching at a later date if you choose. There are other routes and one of those may increase your confidence much more than the one you went with.

We had one of our trainees fail yesterday (she was simply pushed) and they're allowing her to resit without taking any form of break which is just ridiculous. She's been struggling for quite a while now and we've all been trying to help but nothing was working for her. It's hard but again, no amount of wanting to be a teacher can make you a teacher. A break would have given her space to reevaluate but she's having none of it.

So just breathe, think everything through and talk to people about your next steps. You haven't failed at a part that will stop you from training ever again and there are ways you can gain more confidence if you choose to try again. The way you have been treated is absolutely dreadful and we're all here for you if you need anything, okay? We're all still one big training family.
    Thank you, I appreciate it. Sent my withdrawal email this morning, that was hard but it's done now. I've approached my old workplace for my job back (minimum wage but it all helps!). Going to keep being involved in schools and will consider a school based training route in the future.

Good luck to everyone here on starting your NQT year! You all deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! It's terrifying, isn't it? I'm ready to do this but I need a bit more handholding for a while. The massive step up is just scary.

I feel like I need a big 'to do' list for the summer. How do I even run a whole GCSE and A level course? I don't know how the school works in regards to books etc.

You don't know what was happening behind the scenes. I missed out on two and both times found out after the event that there was a preferred candidate. Something will turn up. Just take it slow and evaluate your decisions and you'll get there.
    Remember you will still have an NQT mentor and should have regular meetings, targets and good things pointed out, you should also get training and hopefully get the opportunity to choose and request the courses on offer which you feel you would benefit from the most. Also NQT courses where you can panic together and share experiences.

Try to relax and enjoy yourself as much as possible over the summer, you need the rest to be prepared for another year!

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    So I finish my placement in two days and my mentor has just emailed me asking if I can mark all the books for the work scrutiny that they found out about today. That's three sets of books. I can't do any at all tomorrow because I have uni and the end of course party at night that's been booked for ages. So that leaves one day on Friday, where I'm also teaching.

I don't see how that's possible and why she would ask me to do that with two days left. Why not tell me this a fortnight ago.

ReputationRep:
    So I finish my placement in two days and my mentor has just emailed me asking if I can mark all the books for the work scrutiny that they found out about today. That's three sets of books. I can't do any at all tomorrow because I have uni and the end of course party at night that's been booked for ages. So that leaves one day on Friday, where I'm also teaching.

I don't see how that's possible and why she would ask me to do that with two days left. Why not tell me this a fortnight ago.
    How up to date are the books?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    How up to date are the books?
    About a week old but we've done a lot of work in books over the past couple of days. It's going to take me ages. In fact, it's going to be impossible.

ReputationRep:
    About a week old but we've done a lot of work in books over the past couple of days. It's going to take me ages. In fact, it's going to be impossible.
    If they were marked a week ago surely that should be fine for the book scrutiny?

Or could you just mark half the class that you're able to do, and not give them the other half? Gives them something to go on at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    If they were marked a week ago surely that should be fine for the book scrutiny?

Or could you just mark half the class that you're able to do, and not give them the other half? Gives them something to go on at least.
    Well apparently they need to be completely up to date for the book scrutiny, so it's no good that I've only just marked them (because we've done so much work since).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)

From my experience, books should be completely up to date (i.e. every single activity has been marked). Anything less gets you a warning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    From my experience, books should be completely up to date (i.e. every single activity has been marked). Anything less gets you a warning.
    That's ridiculous.

I know in primary schools they normally mark every day, but in secondary every 2-3 weeks is more usual (our school policy is every 8 lessons, which is between 2 and 4 weeks, depending on how often you see the group - though this isn't really enforced to be honest). So it stands to reason that if books have been marked a week ago they are not due for marking - book scrutiny or no book scrutiny.

Is the purpose of a book scrutiny to see that books are marked regularly and to a good standard? Or is it to check that when SLT issue an instruction staff drop everything and do as they're told. Because this sounds to me more like the latter.

As a PGCE student, of course you just have to deal with it. As a qualified teacher I'd be considering whether it was the type of school I wanted to work in for much longer if I was expected to mark to someone else's timetable rather than when I feel pupils have produced something worth collecting in and marking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.