Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    You'd put it on your CV that you went to a conference? Seems a bit... straw-clutching.
    Straws exist to be clutched. I'll be honest, I have no idea what to put on medical CVs. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Straws exist to be clutched. I'll be honest, I have no idea what to put on medical CVs. :holmes:
    I guess if your portfolio gets checked on by your medical school, it might be worth just throwing it in to try and show that you're doing something. Other than that, I doubt just attending a conference is worth much. Maybe I'm wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Could someone quickly clarify for me: systolic murmurs are best heard in inspiration and diastolic in expiration, right? I think I've been given contradicting information in regards to this.

You probably wont hear a diastolic murmor!
    Unless your very, very good (and a cardiologist)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Right sided murmurs louder on inspiration (think increased venous venous return) and left sided on expiration.
    Ahhh, see this is how I learnt it which is probably where the confusion is coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Nah, as we learnt it - the inspiration/expiration schizzle is more to help with heart side rather than systolic/diastolic (valve options).
    Right sided murmurs louder on inspiration (think increased venous venous return) and left sided on expiration.
    Yep, I learnt this as RILE
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Purple)
    I didn't know a word but the lessons have been surprisingly ok!
    Do you get taught in English or Slovak? And do you need to be coherent in Slovak for clinical years? You're brave to go somewhere you don't know the language to do your degree!

On another note: Worth going to anaesthetics/emergency medicine student conferences, or is it just going to go over my head at this point?
    I'm going to an emergency med conference on Sunday and I tried to go to a surgery one last year. If you've got time, why not?

ReputationRep:
    I went to an emergency medicine conference last year, it was really good and defo worth going just for the interest rather than for a CV

ReputationRep:
    I went to a student ortho conference as a second year and was two years below everyone else who was there. It was a good conference though, and I went back the next year :tongue: If they're designed for students then they shouldn't be over your head particularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    Do you get taught in English or Slovak? And do you need to be coherent in Slovak for clinical years? You're brave to go somewhere you don't know the language to do your degree!

I'm going to an emergency med conference on Sunday and I tried to go to a surgery one last year. If you've got time, why not?
    Ohh noo, the course is taught in English, I get lessons in Slovak so that I'm coherent enough for clinical years (which seems like a lifetime away). While I pay 2 arms and a frontal lobe in tuition the Slovaks get their education for free :dry: I'd say I've come terms with the fact that beggars can't be choosers. Aww thanks, but I think I'll be brave once if I manage to survive the 6 years
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Exam :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Exam :afraid:
    :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Community placement today. Such a waste of time.

PROSIDE: Get a lie in.

Edit: Oh and I get to drink my bodyweight in tea at the clinic.

ReputationRep:
    First formative today - think it went better than i expected it to. Just got to wait 2 weeks for the results.

ReputationRep:
    This metabolism... I don't even...

I'm seriously struggling with this years metabolism. Specifically the biochemistry /pharmacology of insulin, glucose, fats etc. There just seem to five thousand receptors and ligands with 50 different steps in between. I'm having real difficulty keeping concentration in lectures as they just pile acronyms on us.

Anyone reccommend some books with clear, easy diagrams or videos on the net showing the pathways? It doesn't help Ive forgotten essentially all of metabolism from last year bar the key concepts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)

I'm seriously struggling with this years metabolism. Specifically the biochemistry /pharmacology of insulin, glucose, fats etc. There just seem to five thousand receptors and ligands with 50 different steps in between. I'm having real difficulty keeping concentration in lectures as they just pile acronyms on us.

Anyone reccommend some books with clear, easy diagrams or videos on the net showing the pathways? It doesn't help Ive forgotten essentially all of metabolism from last year bar the key concepts.
    when you say biochemistry and pharmacology of those metabolites what in particular are you looking for? which receptors do you mean, things like the PPARs?

ReputationRep:

There are a few basic videos on Khan Academy which are very good. By basic, I'm talking TCA, glycolysis, ETA etc. Not sure if that would be any use to you.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the Lippincott Biochemistry book had some great diagrams, really useful for the metabolism pathways and especially the bits on fat metabolism.

Not so good for the insulin stuff - our recommended text for that is "Essential Endocrinology" by Brook and Marshall, which is a really good book but you only really need one chapter of it.

ReputationRep:

I would say go for VVP Vogt Vogt and Pratt - heavey doorstop, looks intimidating, but takes you through it from basics. Also, keep your sanity, dump all the extra detail you don't need. the other book I used was Bender intro to nutrition and metabolism.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone who is good with Cardiology know if Mitral Stenosis only presents in patients who have had rheumatic fever first? OHCM seems vague.

ReputationRep:
    There are a few basic videos on Khan Academy which are very good. By basic, I'm talking TCA, glycolysis, ETA etc. Not sure if that would be any use to you.
    serious? the khan academy videos are really bad, whilst he is an amazing guy that i have a lot of time for, his understanding of human biochemistry is not amazing and he doesn't promote a very good way of thinking about metabolism in general.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.