Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Yeh I turn 24 early next year and I keep having really depressing thoughts about how I should have done more with my life. People my age are getting married, having kids, buying homes, running businesses...
    Interesting you've posted that. Typed a wall of text then deleted but basically other people's lives are never as good as they make them out to be so it's pointless comparing yourself to others. All you're gonna do is feel like you're wasting your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Nah man 24 to me is an ideal time to start getting into a long-term relationship and think about marriage etc. Allow being an old dad...
    Thinking about marriage? Definitely. Juggling a wife, kids, mortgage and a business at 24 though? Nah. That's not in me. Like Cutty when Avon was trying to bring him back into the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Yeh I turn 24 early next year and I keep having really depressing thoughts about how I should have done more with my life. People my age are getting married, having kids, buying homes, running businesses...
    I know the feeling! I'm a bridesmaid for three of my friends next year. Once is fine, but to have three of your friends get married within a short space of time just makes me feel even more ridiculous about things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Thinking about marriage? Definitely. Juggling a wife, kids, mortgage and a business at 24 though? Nah. That's not in me. Like Cutty when Avon was trying to bring him back into my the game.
    Yeah that's true, 27 for me is a good age to start a family when you're financially secure hopefully. Anything less would be a bit soon for me, saying that my mum gave birth to me when she was 19 so...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Interesting you've posted that. Typed a wall of text then deleted but basically other people's lives are never as good as they make them out to be so it's pointless comparing yourself to others. All you're gonna do is feel like you're wasting your life.
    It's a really bad habit of mine, I do see what you're saying though. For example if someone was to look at my best friend you'd think she has a really good life, but in reality I know all the **** she doesn't tell people and it is far from perfect.

(Original post by The Assassin)
    did you take a couple of gap years before going uni?
    Was between school and college. I didn't get A Levels until I was 20, somehow got my local sixth form to let me in late.

Yeah that's true, 27 for me is a good age to start a family when you're financially secure hopefully. Anything less would be a bit soon for me, saying that my mum gave birth to me when she was 19 so...
    It's crazy to think about all that isn't it. When my Dad was my age, he was engaged to my Mum and about to put a deposit down on his first house. I'd love to find a serious girlfriend but anything like marriage/kids is at least 10 years away tbh. Don't want to think about that **** right now, i'm not remotely ready!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Ahh yeah it must feel a bit tiring but the year will fly by before you know!

Uni has been mad, met the most interesting people, went to the most wildest of fresher events but rah boy it's already taking it's toll. My student loan still hasn't come through yet so I'm broke af lmao but I work part time in Top Shop so it's not all bad. Decided on what u want to study?
    Busy then, sounds fun though!

Yeah I'm applying for Human Biology

ReputationRep:
    Enough about what to do with life and just watch these...

Not even sure what has made me bring this up but... you can rely on football to bring you a few laughs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)

Not even sure what has made me bring this up but... you can rely on football to bring you a few laughs.

ReputationRep:

This is the misc!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Nah man 24 to me is an ideal time to start getting into a long-term relationship and think about marriage etc. Allow being an old dad...
    I think 26 is the earliest time to think about that. So by 28 you're hopefully married with a baby on the way. You don't have too much of a problem tbf Iso, you basically pass your exams, get a nice placement and guaranteed a 30k job so you could think like that.

Planning on having three kids. Two sons and a daughter preferably.

(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    **** that though. 24's too young to be having to stress about all that unless a situation's been forced upon you.
    24 yeah that's too young.

ReputationRep:
    Also to watch Gotham ep 3 or not?

Haha, how times have changed.

They can't take a pen without even getting a player injured lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Also to watch Gotham ep 3 or not?

Haha, how times have changed.

They can't take a pen without even getting a player injured lol.
    Did you just use a smiley, Jam?

Wot is this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Did you just use a smiley, Jam?

Wot is this

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm going to use smileys after every single post from now on. I'm not the most emotional of people tbh but I can get very happy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to use smileys after every single post from now on. I'm not the most emotional of people tbh but I can get very happy.
    I hope you see something sad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Expecting to see lots of passive-aggressive smileys where you shoot down somebody's post section-by-section and then at the end put ''

ReputationRep:
    This is the misc!!!!!
    Haha yeah, once I posted that I did question myself about what I just said. But with all this life talk as well as currently sitting here watching the dullest Botafogo vs Palmeiras match and waiting for a hurricane (???) to hit the North Wales Coast... I needed to share those videos!

ReputationRep:
    I think 26 is the earliest time to think about that. So by 28 you're hopefully married with a baby on the way. You don't have too much of a problem tbf Iso, you basically pass your exams, get a nice placement and guaranteed a 30k job so you could think like that.

Planning on having three kids. Two sons and a daughter preferably.

24 yeah that's too young.
    Yeah a few of my non medic friends from school are either jobless or like doing odd jobs at Nandos while they job hunt. The job market is ****ing brutal man, makes me glad I did medicine tbf but it's no too kushty for us either. Starting salary for junior docs is around 23k outside of London which isn't at all rewarding after 5-6 years of studying at uni. Factor in 4 years of unpaid student debt (NHS pays tuition for your final year), the cost of going to non-reimbursed courses and conferences to enhance your CV, and unpaid hours you invariably put in e.g. for doing research, and all of a sudden you realise junior docs are one of the worst paid professions given the hours they work. The job only becomes rewarding financially and mentally after at least becoming a registrar.

We have to apply for jobs this year, and while it's true most graduates get a job, that could mean anywhere from the tip of Scotland to Brighton and anywhere in between. It's a national allocation process and a lot of us are bricking it because we have limited control over where we may end up being. Ideally I'd like to remain in Leeds, or go to another nice city like Sheffield, York, Edinburgh, Bristol. Need the city life man, but not London though, the standard of living would be awful.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a few of my non medic friends from school are either jobless or like doing odd jobs at Nandos while they job hunt. The job market is ****ing brutal man, makes me glad I did medicine tbf but it's no too kushty for us either. Starting salary for junior docs is around 23k outside of London which isn't at all rewarding after 5-6 years of studying at uni. Factor in 4 years of unpaid student debt (NHS pays tuition for your final year), the cost of going to non-reimbursed courses and conferences to enhance your CV, and unpaid hours you invariably put in e.g. for doing research, and all of a sudden you realise junior docs are one of the worst paid professions given the hours they work. The job only becomes rewarding financially and mentally after at least becoming a registrar.
    Fair enough, that's what my mate said to me when I applied for med. Yeah doctors do get up to 50% supplement last time I checked, unsure whether that's just overtime work so it can go above 30k if hardworking enough?
    We have to apply for jobs this year, and while it's true most graduates get a job, that could mean anywhere from the tip of Scotland to Brighton and anywhere in between. It's a national allocation process and a lot of us are bricking it because we have limited control over where we may end up being. Ideally I'd like to remain in Leeds, or go to another nice city like Sheffield, York, Edinburgh, Bristol. Need the city life man, but not London though, the standard of living would be awful.
    Always thought you were at Kings or am I thinking of 419?

Yeah that's effort. I can see why med is so tough to get into. Good news is that by 30 you'll be raking in the money if you stick at it and you can always apply for grad schemes etc. like the rest do if you don't. Job market is brutal though, soon as I get a job(probably be just under the 20k mark) I'll essentially aim to be promoted within 6 months or leave the place.

Also just don't know how ra-ra-ra gets the time to watch south american football? I struggle to keep up with the prem, Bayern & friends and la liga. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, that's what my mate said to me when I applied for med. Yeah doctors do get up to 50% supplement last time I checked, unsure whether that's just overtime work so it can go above 30k if hardworking enough?

Always thought you were at Kings or am I thinking of 419?

Yeah that's effort. I can see why med is so tough to get into. Good news is that by 30 you'll be raking in the money if you stick at it and you can always apply for grad schemes etc. like the rest do if you don't. Job market is brutal though, soon as I get a job(probably be just under the 20k mark) I'll essentially aim to be promoted within 6 months or leave the place.

Also just don't know how ra-ra-ra gets the time to watch south american football? I struggle to keep up with the prem, Bayern & friends and la liga. :sigh:
    Must be overtime work I think. They're called doing locum jobs which are essentially "part time" shifts you can do for extra money outside your regular rotations. But you need to be careful because technically junior doctors' hours are protected so we can't work more than an average of 48 hours per week across a 26 week period. But locum jobs don't count towards that so you need to be careful about burning yourself out by doing these extra shifts and risk it affecting the performance of your normal job.

Nah I just did my intercalated degree at king's, didn't know 419 was at kcl though.

Haha yeah hopefully by 30 things will look better. But trust there are easier ways to make money, you have to wait a long time before you rake the rewards in med. How come your application wasn't successful?

ReputationRep:
    I do watch a ridiculous amount of football Jam! My life is literally work and football. With three jobs currently on the go I don't even know where I get the time to involve so much football in my life and even when I have a day off the chances are I will use that day off by going to watch a match.

Debating whether to stay up to watch Cruzeiro vs Corinthians at 2am. I guess with SA football it's on at times when normal people sleep!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2015
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.