The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bude8
Beer just has this bitter taste that I can't seem to like :redface:

Ah, our mark schemes are a bit more specific...

I love the Economics mark schemes we have, they're so liberal :biggrin: For a 15 mark essay (highest mark question)

Spoiler

You don't get 15 marks for writing 15 of those points; if you want a high mark you need to be doing effective evaluation. The best bit is 'Examiners should be aware that candidates may take a different approach which if appropriate, should be rewarded.' and this is how education should be :tongue:

Yeah exactly!
That frustrates me a lot, especially with physics - how if the question asks "defines newtons second law" me saying "N.S.L states that 1 Newton of force will accelerate a mass of 1kg at 1m/s^2" will score no marks but instead " n.s.l states that force is proportional to the rate of change of momentum of an object in the direction of that force" scores full, imo both are reasonable definitions and mean the same thing tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
Yeah exactly!
That frustrates me a lot, especially with physics - how if the question asks "defines newtons second law" me saying "N.S.L states that 1 Newton of force will accelerate a mass of 1kg at 1m/s^2" will score no marks but instead " n.s.l states that force is proportional to the rate of change of momentum of an object in the direction of that force" scores full, imo both are reasonable definitions and mean the same thing tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, if it's clear you know/understand a concept you should be credited...
Original post by Bude8
I'm all about cider, beer is yuck :frown:

Haha no need to apologise, I'm sorry for being a snob :colondollar: it basically means word for word, so if you wrote down just 'vacuum' would you get one mark?

Yes, fellow cider man!

I've always hated the texture/taste of beer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Yes, fellow cider man!

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I drink cider I get that feeling in my jaw, you know when you taste a really sour sweet and almost cringe, I feel like that about the sweetness of cider I physically can't drink it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Yes, fellow cider man!

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I drink cider I get that feeling in my jaw, you know when you taste a really sour sweet and almost cringe, I feel like that about the sweetness of cider I physically can't drink it

Posted from TSR Mobile

People said my taste for beer would develop. It hasn't :lol: Cider doesn't even taste that sweet to me! It's pretty weird how our taste buds are all so different :tongue:
Original post by Bude8
People said my taste for beer would develop. It hasn't :lol: Cider doesn't even taste that sweet to me! It's pretty weird how our taste buds are all so different :tongue:

I used to love it but now it's lager all the way, I think I sickened myself of it tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
Is that what people do?! I've only been on the Bath ones and I've been asking about the nearest kebabs to campus etc. :lol:

the SOAS one is full of people asking about when the **** they're going to get a reply from them. NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR APPLICATION THERE. NO ONE.

Oh my god I love spoons at my local it's £2.50 for a pint of carling

Sorry to sound so working class but what does ad verbatim mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

or normal :wink:

2.50? faaaarrk. I once found a 3.50 pint of ale in a pub in cambridge and was happy. This is what zone 2 london does to you. it's actually double that in a pub in shoreditch for a pint.

R.E Beer/Cider... I'm not a fan of mainstream lager, but I do love a bitter. Cider's too sweet unless it's really strong and not strongbow.
Original post by Guills on wheels
the SOAS one is full of people asking about when the **** they're going to get a reply from them. NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR APPLICATION THERE. NO ONE.

or normal :wink:

2.50? faaaarrk. I once found a 3.50 pint of ale in a pub in cambridge and was happy. This is what zone 2 london does to you. it's actually double that in a pub in shoreditch for a pint.

R.E Beer/Cider... I'm not a fan of mainstream lager, but I do love a bitter. Cider's too sweet unless it's really strong and not strongbow.

3.50 is disgusting #ThatchersBritain
Oh yeah I know, my dad works in canary wharf and stays near London bridge and he's shown me some of his drinks bills before.... genuinely nearly passed out at the idea of a £15 shot ffs
I get really annoyed at the price of everything in london, it's just ridiculous,how can it be so much more expensive than everywhere in the UK (that's a genuine invitation for an economical explanation if you're reading bude)
The most I've ever paid for a pint was £3.80 and I was so annoyed ahahah
Ugh I cannot handle bitters unless it's a really pale ale

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6728
please help out- chance to win £150! surveymonkey.com/s/5NPGQF6
Oh yeah I know, my dad works in canary wharf and stays near London bridge and he's shown me some of his drinks bills before.... genuinely nearly passed out at the idea of a £15 shot ffs
I get really annoyed at the price of everything in london, it's just ridiculous,how can it be so much more expensive than everywhere in the UK (that's a genuine invitation for an economical explanation if you're reading bude)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The most I've ever seen is £5.50 in Haggerston, London.

Canary Wharf is Canary Wharf. It's a whole different world there.

Lots of people in a small space with limited numbers of jobs available and an oversubscribed workforce facilitates the generation of capital and thus wages rise as jobs only take the best of the best (because they can, since there's loads of people). Lots of people means little space so actual rents are higher, meaning pubs have to charge more anyway. Since those who work (and thus get bigger wages than the rest of the country) are the ones who spend the most, prices match what they're willing, and are able to, spend, as a rough percentage of their earnings.

I'm no economist but that's my explanation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love a bitter.
The most I've ever seen is £5.50 in Haggerston, London.

Canary Wharf is Canary Wharf. It's a whole different world there.

Lots of people in a small space with limited numbers of jobs available and an oversubscribed workforce facilitates the generation of capital and thus wages rise as jobs only take the best of the best (because they can, since there's loads of people). Lots of people means little space so actual rents are higher, meaning pubs have to charge more anyway. Since those who work (and thus get bigger wages than the rest of the country) are the ones who spend the most, prices match what they're willing, and are able to, spend, as a rough percentage of their earnings.

I'm no economist but that's my explanation.

That in a nutshell is why I hate London
I walk around looking at all the money there and it actually annoys me haha
Eg went to a marcus du sautoy lecture last week (AND I met him hell yeah!!!) and saw the shard for the first time (I'm not local to london) and just got really frustrated to see where money goes
At the same time as food banks being the most popular they've been in 10 years in UK
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Went to Switzerland for a trip to CERN, bloody hell the pints there are like £6!

I can't actually give you too detailed an answer, but living costs in London are high, so there's a higher average wage there. Also, it's populated by some very wealthy people. Quite a fair few of them are not price conscious. These basically means people can sell things for a higher price.
That in a nutshell is why I hate London
I walk around looking at all the money there and it actually annoys me haha
Eg went to a marcus du sautoy lecture last week (AND I met him hell yeah!!!) and saw the shard for the first time (I'm not local to london) and just got really frustrated to see where money goes
At the same time as food banks being the most popular they've been in 10 years in UK
Posted from TSR Mobile

nah, I love it. Diversity's great, and there are cheaper pubs.

having said that, poverty is a problem, but there's nowhere near as many homeless people on the streets as there are in other towns (espesh cambridge).

The main problems in London at the moment are for me, the gender pay gap and, biggest of all, the housing crisis. I'm lucky, because it doesn't affect me, but it does for a lot of people.

people having to use food banks is a national scandal.

but it's a lot better than some other places in the country. Racism is almost non-existent here, and incredibly frowned upon.
Original post by Bude8
Went to Switzerland for a trip to CERN, bloody hell the pints there are like £6!

I can't actually give you too detailed an answer, but living costs in London are high, so there's a higher average wage there. Also, it's populated by some very wealthy people. Quite a fair few of them are not price conscious. These basically means people can sell things for a higher price.

Omg do you go to an amazing school? You went to cern? That's so amazing!!!
The house prices are just a ****ing joke tbh absolutely laughable
nah, I love it. Diversity's great, and there are cheaper pubs.

having said that, poverty is a problem, but there's nowhere near as many homeless people on the streets as there are in other towns (espesh cambridge).

The main problems in London at the moment are for me, the gender pay gap and, biggest of all, the housing crisis. I'm lucky, because it doesn't affect me, but it does for a lot of people.

people having to use food banks is a national scandal.

but it's a lot better than some other places in the country. Racism is almost non-existent here, and incredibly frowned upon.

Yeah, Edinburgh has a lot of homeless actually
The housing crisis is ridiculous & yh gender pay gap is a problem, I suppose that will always be more prominent in bigger cities
That's really good! Racism is fairly inherent around me. Lots of working class UKIP voters. I do my best to change that and talk to everybody I meet about voting and what they think is important and basically try to convince them to vote green aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The housing crisis is ridiculous & yh gender pay gap is a problem, I suppose that will always be more prominent in bigger cities
That's really good! Racism is fairly inherent around me. Lots of working class UKIP voters. I do my best to change that and talk to everybody I meet about voting and what they think is important and basically try to convince them to vote green aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

fair enough. I could never vote green in a general election (I side closer to Miliband) but I'd vote green for local.
fair enough. I could never vote green in a general election (I side closer to Miliband) but I'd vote green for local.

My heart often says labour but they're too busy being centre right /trying to pick up lost tory voters since all the working class seem to be going for UKIP and all the young seem to be going for green

Posted from TSR Mobile
My heart often says labour but they're too busy being centre right /trying to pick up lost tory voters since all the working class seem to be going for UKIP and all the young seem to be going for green

Posted from TSR Mobile

apart from me.

I'm going for bed.

Sleep well! :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess you could call it amazing, boarding school eh :rolleyes:

CERN wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be to be honest, since we didn't go underground to see the actual tunnels. We had a few lectures given by people with ridiculously thick accents so we couldn't really understand them. Apart from that, they have toiletry vending machines outside their dining hall which actually has very reasonably priced food for Geneva. Food was very good though!

Geneva has other places to visit like the UN, and there are some bloody incredible views of the Alps. Oh and there are watch stores literally everywhere :lol:

Bought a CERN hard hat which is the best souvenir ever :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
apart from me.

I'm going for bed.

Sleep well! :smile: x

Aw goodnight! x

Original post by Bude8
I guess you could call it amazing, boarding school eh :rolleyes:

CERN wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be to be honest, since we didn't go underground to see the actual tunnels. We had a few lectures given by people with ridiculously thick accents so we couldn't really understand them. Apart from that, they have toiletry vending machines outside their dining hall which actually has very reasonably priced food for Geneva. Food was very good though!

Geneva has other places to visit like the UN, and there are some bloody incredible views of the Alps. Oh and there are watch stores literally everywhere :lol:

Bought a CERN hard hat which is the best souvenir ever :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw wow, sounds incredible all of it! I've always wanted to go because it's on the French Swiss side
Omg that's so cool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest