Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by planetconwy1)
    Does anyone who is good with Cardiology know if Mitral Stenosis only presents in patients who have had rheumatic fever first? OHCM seems vague.
    It doesn't exclusively present in patients who have had rheumatic fever, but it happens in those patients most commonly. I remember reading about it in a textbook once, but this also backs up what I'm saying:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhe...disease.causes

Apparently other causes of it are pretty rare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    It doesn't exclusively present in patients who have had rheumatic fever, but it happens in those patients most commonly. I remember reading about it in a textbook once, but this also backs up what I'm saying:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhe...disease.causes

Apparently other causes of it are pretty rare.
    Thank you!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I just finished my dermatology placement and actually quite enjoyed it :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Now maybe I can finally get some work done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by planetconwy1)
    Does anyone who is good with Cardiology know if Mitral Stenosis only presents in patients who have had rheumatic fever first? OHCM seems vague.
    No, it doesn't only present to those who have had rheumatic fever first. It is a massive risk factor though. You can get it due to bacterial endocarditus vegitation thingies (iirc) and through calcification of the valve.

EDIT: Beaten by Jessay

(Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Now maybe I can finally get some work done.
    Such a good game (Y). Ending was a bit mreh though and it's not as good as the original but it's still a cracking good game. Will probably play through the expansion when I can be bothered to DL it with my absolutely shocking internet connection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    No, it doesn't only present to those who have had rheumatic fever first. It is a massive risk factor though. You can get it due to bacterial endocarditus vegitation thingies (iirc) and through calcification of the valve.

EDIT: Beaten by Jessay

Such a good game (Y). Ending was a bit mreh though and it's not as good as the original but it's still a cracking good game. Will probably play through the expansion when I can be bothered to DL it with my absolutely shocking internet connection.
    All of the boss fights were ****. The last one was especially bad, it took me about a minute. Bloody good game for this gen, though.

ReputationRep:
    All of the boss fights were ****. The last one was especially bad, it took me about a minute. Bloody good game for this gen, though.
    Yeah, I played mostly stealthy so when it came to any bosses I always had 10 typhoon + like 10 grenade launcher rounds. Finished each boss in seconds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Yeah, I played mostly stealthy so when it came to any bosses I always had 10 typhoon + like 10 grenade launcher rounds. Finished each boss in seconds.
    Never bothered with the typhoon. :ahee: EMP/frag + machine pistol polished off the first two and the laser rifle made very, very short work of the last two. :rolleyes:

I began with a stealth & no kill playthrough, but I got bored so I compromised with stealth and unending slaughter.

ReputationRep:
    I survived an upper GI endoscopy without sedation! Woohoo! *runs around the forum rejoicing*

*dies*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skwee)
    I survived an upper GI endoscopy without sedation! Woohoo! *runs around the forum rejoicing*

*dies*
    For the love of christ, why?

Enjoy the midazzle, you won't get offered it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skwee)

*dies*
    Wow that's hardcore. OGDs are probably the most uncomfortable procedure I've had to watch so far, let alone being the one with the scope down your throat.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't actually offered sedation (probably because I was scheduled off-the-record on a next-day basis), I got some lidocaine gel rubbed on the evil spaghetti string of doom which supposedly helped (lolz). I'm just glad my tutor wasn't there to watch the weird choking/near-vomiting/lack of breathing (I swear some neural circuits in my brain died in panic, couldn't use my nose! Argh!). All in all, a very very weird 2 minutes, not painful, just weird! Manageable I suppose.

I was epically hungry afterwards, after 2 weeks of intense anorexia...lol!

ReputationRep:
    Wish there was another clinical cases thread. The last one was fun until it broke out into WW3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Wish there was another clinical cases thread. The last one was fun until it broke out into WW3.
    Subtle!

ReputationRep:
    TBH that was pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    Create thread and let slip the dogs of war.

ReputationRep:
    TBH that was pretty funny.
    Not gunna lie, it did entertain me.

ReputationRep:
    Well, he's gone. I'll try to think of something.

We had an emergency chest re-opening on ITU today. I think it's simultaneously one of the most awesome things I've ever seen as well as one of the most terrifying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, he's gone. I'll try to think of something.

We had an emergency chest re-opening on ITU today. I think it's simultaneously one of the most awesome things I've ever seen as well as one of the most terrifying.
    I presume it's not the same as when Izzie had to open up a sternotomy out of theatre in Grey's Anatomy? :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I presume it's not the same as when Izzie had to open up a sternotomy out of theatre in Grey's Anatomy? :daydreaming:
    Every time I watch Grey's Anatomy I want to throw stuff at the TV, so I haven't seen that episode. :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.