Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    My school is doing it in a (possibly) cool way this year; only like the 50 top students in the sixth form have been chosen to do it, but we'll just be taking a day off-timetable, once each term, to hang out and be lectured to.

I have no idea what A Level General Studies is like, but I hope there's some Critical Thinking involved
    Sounds cool!

For me there's two exams, one's called something like 'science in society' and the other 'art in society' and it's basically just writing about articles I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pabblethefish)
    I don't mind it, we've had enrichment days and reasons for missing it so I've only have 2 or 3 lessons this half term and I read the news so I'm looking forward to essay writing (as a change from my AS subjects) but I'd so much prefer to have a free!

I'm actually looking forward to practicing essays for the science in culture exam though (if we even have practice essays?!) because I love a good science debate! :cool: We've just been looking at art which, whilst mildly interesting, I'd rather not.
    I just can't be bothered... :/ it's a waste of time, I want a free!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhSophie)
    Unfortunately for me, I feel like I'm doing too much work and I don't think it's paying off :ashamed:
    Me too. It's sucky because then if you do end up coming out with bad grades you can't go 'oh I didn't try'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nombo)
    Man, I need a seating plan! I hate how nice my teachers are! :P
    This! It's impossible to sit away from your friends in class without getting dodgy looks. Every time a teacher mentions a seating plan I'm like yessssssss!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    guys guys guys it's happened again :ahee:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2502881

ReputationRep:
    guys guys guys it's happened again :ahee:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2502881
    When did this happen before like:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Mooooorning how is it only Wednesday? :'( wish it was only Wednesday in my actual holidays - I have work experience

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marinajelly)
    Mooooorning how is it only Wednesday? :'( wish it was only Wednesday in my actual holidays - I have work experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ooo where are you work experiencing? . Have fun as you should be entitled to free biscuits

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat_LPS)
    Ooo where are you work experiencing? . Have fun as you should be entitled to free biscuits

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I don't get anything! I'm working in the mortgage centre of the Royal Bank of Scotland

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just can't be bothered... :/ it's a waste of time, I want a free!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have to do it for AQA Bacc though

Having said that, I'm not too bothered by it really. At my school, unless you're doing further maths, dance, Chinese or German (A levels in the enrichment block at my school, the only way you can do 5 ASs unless you self teach), then everyone has to turn up to the lesson but then the exam's optional anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangofreak)
    i would +rep but i've done it too recently

ReputationRep:
    hi all, I've got 10 exams this summer; maths x3, further x3, econ x2 and history x2. can someone tell me when should i start revising and roughly how much i should be doing to get top grades? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millerman)
    hi all, I've got 10 exams this summer; maths x3, further x3, econ x2 and history x2. can someone tell me when should i start revising and roughly how much i should be doing to get top grades? thanks
    depends entirely on your character

but really you should be revising now, in some capacity, however small

ReputationRep:
    depends entirely on your character

but really you should be revising now, in some capacity, however small
    okay, do you know how rare it is to get 4 A's at AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millerman)
    okay, do you know how rare it is to get 4 A's at AS?

Not as rare as you may think. I was one of ~17 in my sixth form to get 4 As and there were even more with grades AAAB. Just work hard and do all the work you know needs to be done. Don't feel pressured to do like 10 hours after school each day, I certainly didn't revise that often, but when I did, I made sure I did it effectively.

Always best to start revising as soon as you can rather than procrastinate like I did. Start now and make sure all the unit 1 stuff is with you when when you start unit 2. At this time, going over notes and revision books should be fine. Also, and this is a key one, make sure you're revising effectively. This could be different for different subjects - it was for me. Experiment now and find out how you revise better for your subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Hiiiya please add me for:
    AQA Chemistry
    AQA Physics
    AQA History
    AQA General Studies
    Edexcel Maths
    Edexcel Further Maths
    Edexcel Further Maths (Additional)

(Already done Edexcel Russian AS and A2)

Thaaanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

How are you doing 7? Which ones are the schools teaching and which one are you self teaching? Also what maths modules are you doing in june, because Maths Further Maths and Additional Further maths covers all 18 maths modules, so are you doing 9 in june? What 9 are those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally)
    How are you doing 7? Which ones are the schools teaching and which one are you self teaching? Also what maths modules are you doing in june, because Maths Further Maths and Additional Further maths covers all 18 maths modules, so are you doing 9 in june? What 9 are those.
    I'm not sure about her school but at mine if you did those options it would go as we have 5 blocks - block A, B, C and D (also block E for enrichment).

In blocks A-D you choose your standard 4 options and then in block E there's the option of further maths (you can opt to do additional but I think you have to self teach with resources provided by the school). Then there's general studies which, depending on your timetable, just fits in whenever because there's only one lesson a fortnight. Although general studies is also in block E, it's quite changeable because at my school there's around 4 different classes at different times and there are more block E lesson blocks than there are actual block E lessons - if that makes sense?

For example, there could be 6 possible block E periods a week but you only get 4 but someone else doing a block E subject might have a different set of 4 than you so you could either end up in the same general studies class or possibly a different one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally)
    I'm self teaching afm :') but I think I'm only doing that to AS over 2 years. In terms of maths modules I'm doing c1 c2 d1 s1 m1 fp1 as maths and further maths, and then for afm ill do d2 and another module - not sure which one yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hiiiya please add me for:
    AQA Chemistry
    AQA Physics
    AQA History
    AQA General Studies
    Edexcel Maths
    Edexcel Further Maths
    Edexcel Further Maths (Additional)

(Already done Edexcel Russian AS and A2)

Thaaanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    why do that many? how many exams are you bona have this summer?

ReputationRep:
    I have 13 exams this summer if all goes to plan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.