Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Maybe Gervais knows that The Golden Globes are just an excuse for drinking. :p:

Just take their money while they're at it. :awesome: Still, after Fame he went a bit downhill as a comedian.
    Gervais is someone whose work I like, but begrudgingly. I think Extras is absolutely fantastic, and I do enjoy The Office, his live shows and his podcasts, but not as much as he does. The thing that annoys me so much is that he tries to have his cake and eat it to such a ridiculous extent. He is as big of a brown-noser and a sycophant as anyone (he does not get gigs like this and roles in Night at the Museum by pulling this kind of stunt) but at the same time he'll try and play the indie card of ripping successful people, which is so glaringly hypocritical. His podcasts really pissed me off when I was listening to them - the way he spent half of the first series moaning about how he wasn't getting paid for them and how good he was (and yet lining them with adverts for Channel 4 - sure, ********) and then started charging for them. It goes against the whole ethos of podcasting. Similarly I dislike the way that he tries to pretend he has artistic integrity when he sold out massively by selling the rights to The Office to America. He's just such a hypocrite in so many areas.

Like I said, I do enjoy some of his stuff, but as a human being he's awful. Plus, there's no way he should ever, ever get away with making a joke about how bad someone's film is when he turned out the stinking pile of crap that was The Invention of Lying. That film was so bad that 6 months later I was sure I hadn't seen it and had to be convinced I had, as if my subconscious was trying to repress how dire it was. Only movie I've ever strongly considered a) walking out of and b) asking for my money back. Hell, if I was in the audience for the Globes I'd have heckled him with that, I'd have loved to see him try and defend it.

ReputationRep:
    Rumors Fly When Ricky Gervais Goes MIA at the Golden Globes

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he disappeared for about an hour and then came back really subdued.

ReputationRep:
    It would have been priceless if they'd brought out Jay Leno to host the second half of the show. I really wish they'd seen the comic opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/114/1144271p1.html

Article mentions at the end that he could take over Nolan.
    It sounds to me as if that's exactly the angle Aronofsky's going for. If he's got fan support he will be the frontrunner by a long way, although I don't exactly think WB like him. It adds a ton of pressure onto Wolverine as well.

ReputationRep:
    If the Yanks don't want you, Ricky, come back to the UK. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    Was waiting for you to post in here again. :teeth: Been watching Entourage recently (I'm about halfway through the second season), it's awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Going to watch Easy A later - any good?

ReputationRep:
    Confirmed: The new Spider-Man won't have organic web-shooters!

ReputationRep:
    Globes host Ricky Gervais explains ceremony absence

The British comedian left the podium for nearly an hour, prompting viewers to question if he was being reprimanded for his jokes about the stars.

But in a statement, Gervais said: "I did every single introduction I was meant to. There just happened to be a long gap."

He added: "The atmosphere backstage and at the after show was great."

(Original post by Phalanges)
    Gervais is someone whose work I like, but begrudgingly. I think Extras is absolutely fantastic, and I do enjoy The Office, his live shows and his podcasts, but not as much as he does. The thing that annoys me so much is that he tries to have his cake and eat it to such a ridiculous extent. He is as big of a brown-noser and a sycophant as anyone (he does not get gigs like this and roles in Night at the Museum by pulling this kind of stunt) but at the same time he'll try and play the indie card of ripping successful people, which is so glaringly hypocritical. His podcasts really pissed me off when I was listening to them - the way he spent half of the first series moaning about how he wasn't getting paid for them and how good he was (and yet lining them with adverts for Channel 4 - sure, ********) and then started charging for them. It goes against the whole ethos of podcasting. Similarly I dislike the way that he tries to pretend he has artistic integrity when he sold out massively by selling the rights to The Office to America. He's just such a hypocrite in so many areas.

Like I said, I do enjoy some of his stuff, but as a human being he's awful. Plus, there's no way he should ever, ever get away with making a joke about how bad someone's film is when he turned out the stinking pile of crap that was The Invention of Lying. That film was so bad that 6 months later I was sure I hadn't seen it and had to be convinced I had, as if my subconscious was trying to repress how dire it was. Only movie I've ever strongly considered a) walking out of and b) asking for my money back. Hell, if I was in the audience for the Globes I'd have heckled him with that, I'd have loved to see him try and defend it.
    Yeah, he does seem to be a bit of a brown nose. And I agree, he lost his integrity massively after Extras. Have you seen Science? It's pretty awful, it just seems he's recycling his previous routines. Stephen Merchant is still a legend though. I just found out he's voicing one of the main characters in Portal 2. :ahee:

I hope Karl Pilkington ends up in a film. :awesome:

Someone on this or Empire made a good point about Peter Parker being able to develop web shooting tech. Basically, this person thinks that the organic touch that Raimi implemented made a lot more sense because if Peter Parker is struggling for money (which we see a lot in the comics), then why can't he make technology similar to the web-shooters and sell it to make money?

Edit: Seems this thought is cropping up everywhere. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Someone on this or Empire made a good point about Peter Parker being able to develop web shooting tech. Basically, this person thinks that the organic touch that Raimi implemented made a lot more sense because if Peter Parker is struggling for money (which we see a lot in the comics), then why can't he make technology similar to the web-shooters and sell it to make money?

I guess ways to argue it could be along the lines of:

- Could also be used for evil?
    - The average human couldn't use the technology the way he can, as they don't have 'super' strength?
    - It would make it quite obvious he is Spiderman?
    - The cartidges of web he uses can only be refilled by him excreting into the capsules, which is not practical for mass production?
    - He's selfish.

ReputationRep:

Because then he would be a capitalist, rather than just protecting capitalism.

Is anyone else getting constant broken links for TSR?

ReputationRep:

Yes. It's frustrating.

Also, if Spider-Man sold that stuff, eventually you'd get nutters misusing it. Eventually, someone would websling straight into a pregnant woman or something and you'd have no end of lawsuits.

No, no. I said he could make tech that is similar to the web shooters. It wouldn't even have to be web-shooting tech, it could be something that benefits the citizens of NYC. Hm, could turn out to be an interesting plot. Peter Parker becomes famous through developing a piece of tech that a villain eventually manipulates to suit his or her motives, meaning Peter Parker will have to fight this villain with his own tech. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

Another thing about Spidey is that the mechanical webshooters are designed to shoot web in a variety of configurations, including nets and such, that wouldn't be possible with organic webshooting. I mean, how long must it have taken him to make those webs in the Raimi films? It's just not practical for combat.

ReputationRep:
    No, no. I said he could make tech that is similar to the web shooters. It wouldn't even have to be web-shooting tech, it could be something that benefits the citizens of NYC. Hm, could turn out to be an interesting plot. Peter Parker becomes famous through developing a piece of tech that a villain eventually manipulates to suit his or her motives, meaning Peter Parker will have to fight this villain with his own tech. :holmes:
    Isn't that Iron Man?

ReputationRep:
    Paramount want the next Star Trek film to be 3D D:

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.