The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eboracum
Thanks for this Hayley. I found it a really interesting and inspiring read. You did awesome. Particularly the comeback from dropping out. I'd have hit rock bottom if I dropped out of uni, so to come back to such success was awesome. I imagine you'll go on to be one of those power women in business that I read about in Forbes magazine. I'll come and work for you one day. :tongue:

Thanks Ebo you smooth talker :tongue:

I find it hilarious the Man United forum has become a careers advice page.. kinda nice in a way for people that speak to each other every single day about one subject and one subject only, to branch out a bit and help each other. Even if it is technically against the rules :wink:

This is what the International Break does though eh? 2 weeks off club football and this place is basically the UCAS forum.. banter.

Edit: Whoops just realised the UCAS jokes been dropped before.. my bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm liking the community vibe here. Seems like with internationals the rival players stop fighting each other is like how TSR people stop getting into club arguments at every opportunity.

Original post by scrawlx101
I currently do English Literature,Psychology and Economics and EPQ.

Any idea what jobs i could do with these which provide a good salary?

I need to widen my horizons i guess since ive struggled to think of careers.I guess my main aim is to help people and assist people with their problems.Im at a loss for what i can do in the future in terms of jobs

Grad schemes means that you will get a good salary as long as you are able to get onto one, you should be eligible for them. Management would get you a good salary e.g. or recruitment.

Also have you considered going into law? Eco you're probably not going to get a place at uni unless you have done at least Maths AS level.
**** uni doe. Wish I never went. Should have finished my education at 18, learned The Knowledge and become a black cab driver. Would be bringing in decent bucks right now and for the rest of my life, and can work my own hours. I think I'd prefer it that way. I'm not cut out for education and high pressure jobs.
Original post by jam277

I'm liking the community vibe here. Seems like with internationals the rival players stop fighting each other is like how TSR people stop getting into club arguments at every opportunity.

I concur.

Have we just agreed on something Jam?

Miracles do happen eh :tongue:
Original post by hayles101
I concur.

Have we just agreed on something Jam?

Miracles do happen eh :tongue:

Not spending my football posts trolling United thread any more. Got boring since you lot are getting into good form. Plus mutual interests I'd rather you lot there than another specific club but those slime-balls weasel their way in every season :frown:

Also concur with what people are saying wrt university. There are better ways to make money than being in high pressure jobs but you need a plan for that. Only in my last year did I find out how much money I'd realistically be on if I don't get grad scheme and it's really a waste of time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kenan and Kel
**** uni doe. Wish I never went. Should have finished my education at 18, learned The Knowledge and become a black cab driver. Would be bringing in decent bucks right now and for the rest of my life, and can work my own hours. I think I'd prefer it that way. I'm not cut out for education and high pressure jobs.

Starting salary: 12k+ per year

srs?
Original post by Juan Mata
Starting salary: 12k+ per year

srs?

You what.

I thought black cab drivers are raking it in. They're all tax dodgers but still.
You what.

I thought black cab drivers are raking it in. They're all tax dodgers but still.

12-20k based on a 40 hour week apparently. You might be thinking of train drivers, think that's a well-paid job that people don't expect to be.
Original post by Isometrix
Still, A-levels are piss when you compare them to uni exams. You can pass A-levels by just reading the textbook or doing past papers the week before. LP man....

True say.

My D1 exam(my lowest maths mark) I got a B when I'd only started learning the module two days before the exam. No lie bunked off all D1 lessons. It's effort when you have to commit stuff to memory than commit it to logic. Probably why my degree was so boring. Should have just done a maths degree tbh. Probably would have failed medicine if I got onto it anyway.
12-20k based on a 40 hour week apparently. You might be thinking of train drivers, think that's a well-paid job that people don't expect to be.

Na in London you'll get much more if you're motivated enough, commission based jobs is uncapped potential, also you can get paid tips. If you do night jobs you'll make more money. If you worked hard enough, little to no breaks in a 40hr week you can get close to 50k in London.

Nah. I know train drivers are well paid. But so are black cabbies.
Btw. Anybody knows how to voluntary cause goosebumps? Been trying meditation etc. the past week, can only do it when listening to music, when there's a lot of synth etc and there's an amazing chord/series of chords played. E.g. when I listen to Jamiroquai Scam, the final bit gets me goosebumps sometimes.

Also who plays a musical instrument here?
Original post by jam277
Btw. Anybody knows how to voluntary cause goosebumps?

Stand in the cold with a light T on?
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Stand in the cold with a light T on?

Na the comfortable one. When you're listening to music and feeling euphoric.
Original post by jam277
Btw. Anybody knows how to voluntary cause goosebumps?

The **** kind of question is that?

There's a point at the around the 1:40 mark that'll make it happen though:

Original post by jam277
Na the comfortable one. When you're listening to music and feeling euphoric.

Right I see, that hedonistic feeling.

Jam btw how old are you?
Right I see, that hedonistic feeling.

Jam btw how old are you?

40 years old. I'm a catfish srs.

Na I'm 21. :smile:
The **** kind of question is that?

There's a point at the around the 1:40 mark that'll make it happen though:

Weird question but supposedly people can make it euphoric and full bodied experiences. Buddhist monks e.g. do this practise a lot and it makes them feel great.

Lord of the rings- the one ring song does that too :biggrin:
Original post by jam277

Grad schemes means that you will get a good salary as long as you are able to get onto one, you should be eligible for them. Management would get you a good salary e.g. or recruitment.

Also have you considered going into law? Eco you're probably not going to get a place at uni unless you have done at least Maths AS level.

care to elaborate? also any specific jobs i could do with my alevels?
Original post by jam277

Na I'm 21. :smile:

I swear you were 18 just a year ago. Where does the time go....
Original post by Lúcio
guys, i don't know what to say.
psychology is one of those that if you put the work in, you'll do well.
but a U in A2 level in any subject whatsoever is unheard of tbh
LP yet again surprising us all :tongue:

Alright guys no need to be rude about the whole psychology thing... I did AS and A2 psychology in one year in my second year of sixth form because at the start of A levels I picked English Literature, Media Studies and Gov and Politics (yes only 3 subjects I know), the G&P teacher was diagnosed with cancer and left the school and there was nobody else to teach the subject at A level standards there was only 6 of us in the class so we were given the option of either doing Sociology or Psychology to carry on in one year and thus I chose psychology. So imagine how difficult it was juggling all that in my second year alone, that's still no excuse for the grade but still. I'm still happy with my A and B.

There's really no need to be mean about it guys seriously :frown:

No hate on her, fair enough trying it all in one year. I did AS FM in half a year, it was a bitch.

I dropped Psychology at AS, I did it at AS knowing I was going to drop it and only picked it because I heard it was easy. Only subject I dossed about in, it was just me and a really good friend (and some other random guy I can;t remember), the rest were all girls, best thing about psychology really.

It's AS level structure was awful and I can understand why at that point it was regarded as a "soft" subject (can't talk about what it's like now, I'm talking 2008), I don;t want to rip into it too much and upset Lukeyboi but suffice to say I average 94 and all I did was recall some studies, the exam was purely recall. Remember a study, one mark, remember the the date, one mark, the outcome, one mark etc Two of the most ridiculous exams I've ever sat. The teacher predicted me a C and constantly tried catching me out but after the results came out and I was signing off Psychology he's trying to persuade me to stay on :bird:

Original post by Isometrix
Yeah so your application is based on academics and a separate test everyone does called the situational judgement test. The academics is based on your decile ranking from your year, any extra undergrad degrees, and any publications you have. That's all worth 50% of your application, the SJT the other 50%. Your overall score is out of 100, so the top dogs with scores of like 85+ will more or less get their top choices and so they work down the list in order of total score allocating people to their choices based on availability. But those with higher scores get priority which is fair enough.

If your bro got into London he must have done pretty well. It's generally very competitive to get in, especially north-west thames and north-central thames.

He was at Imperial and in some modules was in the top 5%, suffice to say he's pretty clever and got most of the brains in the family, he's at St George's I believe. Even with all that money though if you were to work it our hourly it wouldn't be that amazing. His normal days tend to be 8am-6:30pm and when he's on call 8am-9pm sometimes later. Unless you love medicine I don;t see how you can make it as a doctor. Earning potential off the charts but too get there you have 6 years of med school and then all this other stuff before you start earning the big bucks. Insane.

Latest