The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by confusedspecimen
Hey guys,

I've got my UKCAT tomorrow and just sat a mock on Medify in which I got VR-570 QR-570 AR-550! I'm so so so worried and I don't know what to do...Does anyone have any advice on how to practice and try to improve in the next 12 hours? I think I'm going to be sick I'm panicking so much.

VR I struggle completely, I can rarely find key words
QR I always run out of time or misinterpret the data
AR I'm just can't see the links :/

Are medify mocks easier or harder than the real thing? What about the maths questions in the actual test- what are they like?
Please, any advice will be of great help
Thank you!!

Where abouts u doing ukcat?
Original post by Cal1234
Hi guys,

Just finished the UKCAT:
VR: 580
QR: 770
AR: 700
Average 683, Band 1

I would say the VR was a lot harder than Medify, Kaplan and the official tests, the passages were very long, I had to scroll down for three of the sets to finish reading. The questions for the comprehension were also surprisingly long to read and understand, in a few of the questions, the actual question being asked was 4 lines long!

QR is not as easy as I expected it to be, I had no pie charts but quite a few percentage Qs. My advice in this section would be to just relax and read the question even if it does look like a lot of data, some questions with a lot of data actual had fairly simple calculations, but the majority of questions required 2 or 3 step calculations. There were quite a few graph questions, one was very difficult relating to supply and demand.

AR seemed very hard so I was surprised with this score, I initially skipped all 55 Qs because I couldn't see anything! But when I came back to it, quite a few of the patterns were just counting the number of shapes, I would say I actually guessed 3 sets, so 15 questions, which is why I was surprised with my score, if you can't see a pattern after spending a while on it, just choose the set that looks most similar to the test shape.

With SJT, just stick to your initial choice, don't go back and overthink, just do every question, don't review would be my advice as it can lead to you overthinking too much.

I used Kaplan self study and Medify, I would say the VR was much harder than any mock, QR was very similar to Medify and AR was similar to medify but maybe a little bit harder. Overall, the test did feel quite hard compared to mocks but my main advice would be just relax during the exam and don't panic.

Hi, congrats on your results!! Especially for QR, AR and SJT! Would you say that the exam is comprehension heavy for VR? Also, was QR mostly percentages? Did you find timing okay? Sorry for bombarding you with questions! I'm super nervous for my test tomorrow!

Thank you! :smile:*
Original post by YouHaveProblems
Where are you doing it?

London! Do you have yours tomorrow, too?
UPDATE: I managed to get through to Pearson VUE and in a last minute change, I am sitting it 25 miles away from me :/
Original post by YouHaveProblems
Where abouts u doing ukcat?

London
Original post by theonecenter
UPDATE: I managed to get through to Pearson VUE and in a last minute change, I am sitting it 25 miles away from me :/

Oh gosh! :frown: Good luck!! Hope it goes well.
Original post by Saraah_1
Oh gosh! :frown: Good luck!! Hope it goes well.

Thank you Saraah_1! I have been all over the place today physically and emotionally -_-
I sat my ukcat today, I did pretty decent with an 806 average:

VR: 790
QR: 830
AR: 800

But I got a band 3 in sjt 😞 is it all over? Do any schools actually take anyone with below band 2??

Posted from TSR Mobile
in the QR section for the real exam, where the questions easy to understand.. were there a lot of conversions or data questions?? how much different from medify was it?

in AR, were the patterns easy to identify?? how much different from medify??
Original post by Saraah_1
Hi, congrats on your results!! Especially for QR, AR and SJT! Would you say that the exam is comprehension heavy for VR? Also, was QR mostly percentages? Did you find timing okay? Sorry for bombarding you with questions! I'm super nervous for my test tomorrow!

Thank you! :smile:*

Hi! Thank you!

I would say that the VR was definitely comprehension heavy, I had two or three T/F/CT sections, nearly all passages were 5 paragraphs long with lots of detail, the shortest passage was 3 paragraph and that was only one out of all of them. The timing was an issue in the VR, normally in practice I would finish just in time but I did have to completely guess 2 sets and work extremely quickly through a few sets.

QR there were a decent amount of percentage Qs, timing again is key in this section, I didn't have time to finish, meaning I had to completely guess 11 questions. Just make sure you don't spend too long on a Q which I did once or twice. The rest of QR was made up of area Qs, quite a few data sets, one table I just couldn't understand what the data represented so I skipped it, a few bar charts, line graphs, no speed distance questions which was a shame.

AR timing is always quite hard, but if you can't see a pattern after 30 seconds move on, the complete the sequence Qs were easy but be careful not to spend too long on these as one of these questions can take more than 30 seconds, remember they are worth the same as a Set A/B question meaning you could get 5 extra marks if you spend more time on set A/B.

SJT timing isn't an issue.

Hope that helped!
Original post by Pawini

But I got a band 3 in sjt 😞 is it all over? Do any schools actually take anyone with below band 2??

Oh my gosh what no way thats A M A Z I N G CONGRATS!!!!! Could I please ask if you have any tips on how to improve? How did you revise? What were the questions like in comparison to Medify?

I know that St George's, UEA and Southampton definitely take in with band 3- in fact most schools do because sjt isn't that seriously looked at!
Just did my ukcat got
590 verbal (very disappointed)
800 quantitative
620 abstract
Band 2 sjt

Quantitative is very easy compared to medify and 1000 ukcat question book
Verbal was harder- answers were very similar, not as distinct
Abstract is about equal to medify and the ukcat book
Sjt is equal to medify (practised least for it and didnt use the book)
If u have any other questions hit me up
Original post by ThrowawayMike
Congrats on your score. Your message on VR seems to match every other post-test report I've seen. I'm not looking forward to it.

Could you please post your mock scores for Medify/Kaplan/UKCAT Official if possible?

Thank you! Yeah, honestly I did expect VR to be hard but not as hard as it actually was, so quite disappointed with the VR score but hopefully the average will be ok going forward.

My mock scores:

Medify 1
VR: 730
QR: 650
AR: 750
Average: 710, Band 1

Medify 2
VR: 650
AR: 670
Average: 657, Band 1

Medify 3
VR: 550
QR: 730
AR: 750
Average: 677, Band 2

UKCAT A
QR: 550
AR: 650
Average: 643, Band 2

UKCAT B
VR: 670
AR: 630
Average: 650, Band 2

UKCAT C
AR: 600
Average: 660, Band 2

In kaplan, my lowest VR was 600, highest 730
QR lowest was 550, highest 700
AR lowest was 600, highest 630
Averaged around 645 on the 6 kaplan mocks
would you say that the official mocks are more representative of the exam or is medify the most representative?????
my exam is tomorrow and i've been doing terribly in the medify mocks and the ukcat official exams!!!! what can i do to improve???

how much harder are the real exams to these??
Original post by Pawini

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a band 3 aswell. Alot of schools dont give a damn about sjt. Its extremely stupid. How can a 17 year old school student understand the ethics and knowledge required in everyday medical scenarios.
Congrats on your score. Your message on VR seems to match every other post-test report I've seen. I'm not looking forward to it.

Could you please post your mock scores for Medify/Kaplan/UKCAT Official if possible?

I finished mine 45 mins ago. Vr mock was 700 670 and 850. All medify. Got 590 for Vr...
Original post by thatoneguy123
Just did my ukcat got
590 verbal (very disappointed)
800 quantitative
620 abstract
Band 2 sjt

Quantitative is very easy compared to medify and 1000 ukcat question book
Verbal was harder- answers were very similar, not as distinct
Abstract is about equal to medify and the ukcat book
Sjt is equal to medify (practised least for it and didnt use the book)
If u have any other questions hit me up

I messed up vr as well. 590. But made up for it with 890 in qr. Perhaps not doing the offical mock and relying on medify was a bit daft. I scrolled through the official vr this morning. Thought it would be easy but nope. My advice to any future candidates would be learn from our mistakes and dont screw up vr no matter how simple it seems.
Thanks for that. How many questions did you guess and flag in VR and QR. Did you have time to go back to them?

Guessed about 6 in vr. And 4 in qr. Got 890 in qr though.
Hi guys!

Just finished the UKCAT!

VR:590
QR:830
AR:750
SJT: Band 2
Average:723

Last year I got 623 average so that was great!:smile:

In all honesty, the exam was much simpler than all of the mocks I did.

The VR passages were longer than all the mocks I did on Medify and the UKCAT official mocks, but the questions weren't too bad, but I still only got 590.

The QR was simpler than Medify mocks, but on par with the UKCAT official mocks.

The AR was simpler than the UKCAT official mocks, but there were a few questions that I had to guess and flag and never got back to.

I would like to say thank you to those on the forum giving tips and motivation before the exam and hopefully we all get into med school!:u:

Quick Reply

Latest