Private Schools Ought to be Abolished Watch

Complex Simplicity
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DougieG)
So it would be a BAD thing for rich but stupid children to go to bad schools but it is a GOOD thing for poor clever children to go to bad schools...
I highly recommend you read the book: All Must have Prizes by Melanie Philips. It tackles all the issues you've raised, adds a complete explanation of the history of british education (like the influence of nietzsche and rousseau and the second world war on the change in eduction policy) the impact of society and possible solutions.
Slick-Jay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ziggycj)
I went state school. Private school should stay because the more people thatt are paying for their own education the more money (taxes) that can be put into state schools. If rich kids go state school, more will have to open and taxes will have to increase. And there will still be divides as the rich kids will just go to the BEST school, whether theyre smart or not, so poorer smartt kids will be forced into lower performing schools. At least if they go to private school, they'll be spaces available (to a certain degree) at good state schools.

If private schools are abolished the rich kids will still get the best education, everyone else will just be force to worst schools. Look at what David Cameron is talking about moving so his kid could get into a good state school, what about lower earners that dont have that choice?
A very true point.:rolleyes: Wouldn't it be funny if Camerons kid got into a really crap school.
sarahmaloney
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I go to a grammar school and I completely disagree with this there is a reason that the privet and grammar school section do so well. They let in children who want to work and who are willing to put in a lot of effort. It is not a question of rich parents, I go to a free grammar school, it is a question of attitude. Often teaching is better at comprehensives but the children in them do not want to work. We do so well because we want to not because we have rich parents. going to a grammar school or a privet school allows people the chance to work in a environment that allows them to be successful.
ziggycj
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Slick-Jay)
A very true point.:rolleyes: Wouldn't it be funny if Camerons kid got into a really crap school.
Exactly, but he would never send them to a low school, even with extra tuition. If his kids dont get into the best state school in his area, not doubt he'll change his mind about private education.

Private schools should stay. If they close, taxes will just go up (for everyone).
junkee
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We should abolish all rich premier league football clubs and turn them into our average sunday-league-in-your-backyard 10th division 'have-a-laff' footies. :rolleyes:

Every school is 'fee-paying' - it's called the tax-payer funds. Just that some schools are badly managed for the money that is poured in. Politicians acknowledge that meddling and micro-management of schools is a major problem .. not the funding in most cases.

For every public service there is a parallel private one.... NHS vs private health care. Education is no different. Some services did much better when privatised (BA, BR, ...). They even increased the job market.

The parallel services are only doing good in reducing the burden on public services. It is laughable to suggest they should all be abolished and make the country worse.
tinywings
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If anything, it's the state schools that need a huge overhaul. Disruptive/violent children need to be segregated from those that actually do want to learn. Until then I'd do everything in my power to stop my kids going to school with Wayne, Callum and Destiny-Jayde.

If bright children from poorer families that go to state schools aren't doing as well as those from well off families, then the fault is with the state schools and not the private ones.
jedpea
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surely it would be better to tax them heavily say £3000 a year per child and spend the money on the state schools. Otherwise the state will have to pay to educate posh/rich kids when there parents should be paying for it.
The Referee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jedpea)
Surely it would be better to tax them heavily say £3000 a year per child and spend the money on the state schools. Otherwise the state will have to pay to educate posh/rich kids when there parents should be paying for it.
The parents of the children in private school are already paying taxes to fund state schools that their children don't use - I fail to see why they should be taxed more on top of that.
Bungo
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jedpea)
This is a fantasic idea apart from the fact that private school fees contribute to taxes... but alas to my main point.
I personally go to a grade 1 private school but i only started here in the sixth form and the difference is vast. Having gone to a state "Community College" for 5 years i found that the 2 schools could not differ more. In my old school you were called a "boff" etc... if you worked hard and if you possesed any sporting talent you would be teased heavily unless infact it was football... like the Tom Daley incident. In certain state schools success is rewarded with petty jealouses and personal snipes. But at private schools its the complete contrast, with encourgement and nuturing in anything the child wants to acheive or enjoys.

But what i find astounding is that private schools do not pay the 17.5% VAT tax because they are regarded as "charities" in my year and a half here i have seen no evidence of charity, such as letting local sports clubs use the facilites, instead they insist that a struggling amateur club must pay £55 for a 2 hour session on an astro turf. This is appalling, private schools must do more to keep their charitable status, and this is coming from someone who benefits from the private school system.

The simple fact is this, if parents have alot of money to send their kids to fancy school thats fine but in the end you cannot polish a turd. Take the princes for example, 7 years at eton and he comes out with one A level in art.
C.Davy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by *Sparkle*)
No they shouldn't. If parents want to buy their children an education they have every right to do so.

They should bring back more grammar schools & add more funding (which isn't really poss) in the worst state schools.
i actually agree, the grammar system is pretty good idea to be frank.
Complex Simplicity
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by C.Davy)
i actually agree, the grammar system is pretty good idea to be frank.
only for those who get in; so about 10% of pupils. The rest should rot, right?
Harris
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Private Schools should always exist as they hold public schools to a higher standard
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by graffic)
@Harris

Private schools are not necessarily a "higher standard". State schools are unpretentious learning institutions where you make your way on merit, aspiration and hard work. I would be ashamed of my parents if they were putting capital into separating me from peers in an attempt to fast track my way to a more financially rewarding career

Since we are on the subject they actually affect state schools in an opposite way that you describe. They cream off able students and aspirant parents from the state system and reduce every other child's chance of being educated in a genuinely comprehensive school
Harris is right.

Private schools will always be of a higher standard because of their 'philosophy'. If you want me to further explain this, then I shall.
Rubbaduckzilla
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I dont think your point is straighfoward, i mean not all state school students suffer. i think what your doing here is under estimating the state school pupils the major factor that affects the pupil's education isn't whether your school is private or state but whether you work hard, self motivation and courage to achieve the best academic results.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise