Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    :ninja:

But seriously, no, I have a problem with medical school societies that exist only to pad peoples CVs. We have currently have a whole swath of them here at Cambridge e.g. the Obs/Gyn soc, Neuro Soc, ID and epidemiology Soc, Cambridge Research Soc.....
    Yeah I know what you mean... quote a few popped up just recently.

That said - when I was in pre-clin, Surgical Society really did help me learn stuff I probably wouldn't have otherwise - I didn't do it for CV, rather actual interest. And they are quite well established now, but yes some seem rather :/ and like people only started them so they could write it on their CV...

ReputationRep:
    Our surgical soc seems really good- they put on a teaching session for 1st years every Tuesday evening to prep us for dissection and anatomy assessment on Thurs/Fri.

Still haven't gotten around to paying for my membership though. :ahee:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Our surgical soc seems really good- they put on a teaching session for 1st years every Tuesday evening to prep us for dissection and anatomy assessment on Thurs/Fri.

Still haven't gotten around to paying for my membership though. :ahee:
    Tbf our membership is only a couple of quid, I can just never be bothered to go to any of the events they put on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Tbf our membership is only a couple of quid, I can just never be bothered to go to any of the events they put on
    Ours is £15 for the 5 years. I will probably have to join at some stage.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    This makes me feel better about not joining any of the UEA ones :yep: Although I do worry that I really should...... :s:
    I try to avoid doing any thing more to do with medicine/medics, I see them enough as it is and tend to go for socs like jiu jitsu where I get to throw people about :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    I try to avoid doing any thing more to do with medicine/medics, I see them enough as it is and tend to go for socs like jiu jitsu where I get to throw people about :yes:
    Good choice :yes:

*like*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Good choice on the King's front :P

If I decide to intercalate (unlikely), neuroscience will be the one.
    I realised that half the modules I picked for Physiology were actually Neuroscience based so it made sense to apply for it instead. The systems neuroscience and mechanisms of development modules very much appeal to me the most. I opted for a library based research project (option C) in the end, rather than an actual lab research project. If I get it, that's great. If not, I really don't think I'll give it a second thought. I'd happily stay at George's and intercalate or even carry straight onto T-Year.

(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    :eek: I haven't even sent mine yet! I'm still minus a reference and a class ranking!
    There's still a good week to get it in. Have you picked your modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    I realised that half the modules I picked for Physiology were actually Neuroscience based so it made sense to apply for it instead. The systems neuroscience and mechanisms of development modules very much appeal to me the most. I opted for a library based research project (option C) in the end, rather than an actual lab research project. If I get it, that's great. If not, I really don't think I'll give it a second thought. I'd happily stay at George's and intercalate or even carry straight onto T-Year.

There's still a good week to get it in. Have you picked your modules?
    No there isn't - it's due Wednesday and since I live pretty much as far away as humanly possible whilst still being in the UK, I have to send it on Monday to have any chance of Royal Mail getting it there on time. I picked the extra-long research project (fingers crossed for a clinical/lab one) and Biology of Ageing, cos I'm not sure what options I actually have, so I just went with one of the example ones that was on the course webpage I'm trying to resign myself to the high probability of not getting in, but the project options for here are just not what I want to do at all, so I guess I'll be going into 4th year (argh, finals!) if I don't get a London place (and probably try again next year, if I'm not too traumatised by the process). My friend is applying for the Physiology one, so I'm kinda grateful you're not now - less competition for her! :tongue:
    • PS Helper

do any other first years feel absolutely bombarded with work?! i've had a really bad case of the flu as well for the past two weeks which hasn't helped though

ReputationRep:
    :ninja:

But seriously, no, I have a problem with medical school societies that exist only to pad peoples CVs. We have currently have a whole swath of them here at Cambridge e.g. the Obs/Gyn soc, Neuro Soc, ID and epidemiology Soc, Cambridge Research Soc.....
    Is LH-D's NEJM club still going? That one was actually pretty good.

Oh, and in case you and visesh haven't seen my moan in the doctors thread/on fb, I strongly advise you get hold of an official copy of your grade transcript (esp for your BA) before you leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    No there isn't - it's due Wednesday and since I live pretty much as far away as humanly possible whilst still being in the UK, I have to send it on Monday to have any chance of Royal Mail getting it there on time. I picked the extra-long research project (fingers crossed for a clinical/lab one) and Biology of Ageing, cos I'm not sure what options I actually have, so I just went with one of the example ones that was on the course webpage I'm trying to resign myself to the high probability of not getting in, but the project options for here are just not what I want to do at all, so I guess I'll be going into 4th year (argh, finals!) if I don't get a London place (and probably try again next year, if I'm not too traumatised by the process). My friend is applying for the Physiology one, so I'm kinda grateful you're not now - less competition for her! :tongue:
    Oh I thought it was due next Friday! If you're sending it on Monday, I'd send it as special recorded delivery just in case.

I am pretty clueless about how competitive it is to get a place as an external applicant but hey, the less competitive the better! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    Oh I thought it was due next Friday! If you're sending it on Monday, I'd send it as special recorded delivery just in case.

I am pretty clueless about how competitive it is to get a place as an external applicant but hey, the less competitive the better! :p:
    I'm fairly sure King's is Wednesday and Barts is Friday, tho I'm so frazzled with all of it that it could be a month next Tuesday... I'm gonna send it Guaranteed Next Day Delivery or whatever it is, and keep the proof of postage just in case. If I thought I was leaving it late, my friend is in the same situation (no reference, no class ranking) but also without a transcript til Monday. I wish they'd publish the stats for external entry! Tho Imperials 5 places, 55 applicants thing had me a little bit scared, so it's probably for the best :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

Oh, and in case you and visesh haven't seen my moan in the doctors thread/on fb, I strongly advise you get hold of an official copy of your grade transcript (esp for your BA) before you leave.
    NJEM club? Most of our Bscs have journal club, but pre-clinical NEJM is a wee bit heavey isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    NJEM club? Most of our Bscs have journal club, but pre-clinical NEJM is a wee bit heavey isn't it?
    This was for clinical school - one of the consultants ran it, and did a summary of the articles he thought were important/interesting, then got a guest speaker to do a presentation on one of the main papers. It was set up by a couple of students, no doubt for CV points, but was actually quite interesting. Completely agree it would have been way over the head over most pre-clinical students.

ReputationRep:
    This was for clinical school - one of the consultants ran it, and did a summary of the articles he thought were important/interesting, then got a guest speaker to do a presentation on one of the main papers. It was set up by a couple of students, no doubt for CV points, but was actually quite interesting. Completely agree it would have been way over the head over most pre-clinical students.
    Nah, no sign of it this year. Gutted.

And ta for the heads up re the transcript. I think I've got a copy somewhere- needed it for my elective.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    do any other first years feel absolutely bombarded with work?! i've had a really bad case of the flu as well for the past two weeks which hasn't helped though
    Yesyesyesyes. I don't understand those saying that year 1 is nothing - I don't think I could be more stressed out. Granted, I'm sure it's easier that year 2+, but it's by no means a walk in the park.

ReputationRep:

Apparently it ended due to lack on interest (presumably on the part of the students running it...).

I'm curious - what did you need an official transcript for?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently it ended due to lack on interest (presumably on the part of the students running it...).
    Once they'd got it on their CV you mean?

ReputationRep:
    EVIDENCE

I'm feeling melodramatic... & slightly bored.

ReputationRep:

For CT1 interviews - apparently my BA certificate is (perhaps not surprisingly, in a region which doesn't see so many Cambridge grads) not acceptable proof that I have a 2.1, so I only got 1 measly point for an "unclassified" degree. And it's probably easier for you to sort out with your college office while you're still there; you never know when you might need it in the future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.