University of Leeds Accomodation 2011 Watch

This discussion is closed.
dmz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Prose Before Hoes)
It's alright I suppose but the rent for an en-suite room is expensive. I'm not particularly fussed sharing if I went for standard but between three/four people sharing a bathroom I'm a little bit wary, especially if people need to use it early in the morning. Plus, they only have baths in standard and I am 100% a shower person.

Why must it be in my nature that I find fault in everything? :mad:
Haha i'm the same, wish there was one perfect one

I was thinking about the price as well, i wasn't bothered at first but it's a bit silly when there's something possibly better for £10 cheaper a week, i'd probably get a bus pass going to either anyway (for the first week at least :sigh:)
Prose Before Hoes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dmz)
Haha i'm the same, wish there was one perfect one

I was thinking about the price as well, i wasn't bothered at first but it's a bit silly when there's something possibly better for £10 cheaper a week, i'd probably get a bus pass going to either anyway (for the first week at least :sigh:)
I think the only thing really deterring me is the distance and that really irks me because I know the bus can take minutes to get to campus. It's really pathetic that I'd rather walk.

I'm going to do what I do best and make a list.

Lists are good.

(setting myself up for an impossible ask here)
accomoffice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dmz)
by attributes do you mean things like location, room type....

which 4 are mandatory? (probably not allowed to tell?)
Not exactly. The mandatory ones are gender, single sex or not, smoking or not, noise. The discretionary ones are age, international/domestic, course contact (i.e. whether your course has a lot of contact hours e.g. medicine or engineering, and average amount e.g. maths or more private study time like English or Philosophy) and "en suiteness".
So an example 5 person flat might have 3 females and 2 males; be mixed sex (clearly!); be non-smoking; and be non-quiet. So if you're the 4th girl it tries to put in there, or you've said you want single sex, or you're a smoker or you're quiet, the system won't put you in that flat, it will look for another. Likewise, it may be for all 18/19 year olds; be for 4 domestic and 1 international student; be for 3 people with high course contact hours and 2 with medium; and be en suite. It will first of all try to put in someone who has all 4 of those; if it can't find someone, it will try to match 3 and if it can't do that, it will try to match 2. If it can't match even 2 discretionary, it will move on.
So it ensures that, wherever you get housed, you're not going to be the only girl with 4 boys, the only non-smoker with 4 smokers, in mixed sex when you said you needed single and be with a bunch of noisy people when you said you wanted quiet. It's also unlikely that you'll be the only engineer with 4 people who do History, the only UK student with 4 international students, the only 18 year old with 4 21 year olds and in an en suite when you said you didn't want it. Because after the system has done it's auto-allocation, we go through, with the Warden for the residence, and make sure the make-up of each flat looks OK. And if it doesn't, we move people around before they get their offer.
Because we think that who you live with is more important than where you live and, although it's never going to be 100%, that seems to give the best chance. And if you do end up with people you don't get on with, we try to make moving flats (either by swapping or applying for a transfer to a vacant room) as easy as possible.

Now that really was too much information!!!!! Congratulations if you made it to the end!

(Original post by dmz)
e: Oh also, the ones without wi-fi can you buy a router to plug into it
errr, I don't know. This might help http://iss.leeds.ac.uk/resnet

(Original post by dmz)
are you allowed to bring heaters into the room assuming you get one of those you can't control,
There is some degree of control over all the heating - it will just vary over how much control there is from residence to residence. We're actually looking at our heating policy at the moment - I'll try and ensure it goes up on the website when it's completed. We need to balance everyone being comfortable with the need to cut our carbon emissions or we'll be fined. And there's nothing more annoying than going into a flat to find the heating on full and all the windows open.

(Original post by dmz)
and why photoshop the pictures on the site, only makes it dissappointing when we see it for real
We don't. They are done by professional photographers and we obviously make sure that the rooms are clean, neat and tidy but there's nothing else done as far as I know (do professional photographers photoshop stuff? I suspect they don't need to). Which pictures do you think are photoshopped? (actually, we did once photoshop out a skanky tea towel hanging on a cupboard door in North Hill Court but that's it! ........... in fact, I've just checked the website and it's still there, we obviously just picked the photo where it looked least skanky)
accomoffice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RJW193)
thanks for the reply, i might just risk it then, it's always worth a shot yes? :rolleyes:
The way I look at it is that if you don't put it down, you're certainly not going to get there. The most important thing is that to remember that you will almost certianly have good time wherever you go, so not to set your heart too much on one place.
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by accomoffice)
Not exactly. The mandatory ones are gender, single sex or not, smoking or not, noise. The discretionary ones are age, international/domestic, course contact (i.e. whether your course has a lot of contact hours e.g. medicine or engineering, and average amount e.g. maths or more private study time like English or Philosophy) and "en suiteness".
So an example 5 person flat might have 3 females and 2 males; be mixed sex (clearly!); be non-smoking; and be non-quiet. So if you're the 4th girl it tries to put in there, or you've said you want single sex, or you're a smoker or you're quiet, the system won't put you in that flat, it will look for another. Likewise, it may be for all 18/19 year olds; be for 4 domestic and 1 international student; be for 3 people with high course contact hours and 2 with medium; and be en suite. It will first of all try to put in someone who has all 4 of those; if it can't find someone, it will try to match 3 and if it can't do that, it will try to match 2. If it can't match even 2 discretionary, it will move on.
So it ensures that, wherever you get housed, you're not going to be the only girl with 4 boys, the only non-smoker with 4 smokers, in mixed sex when you said you needed single and be with a bunch of noisy people when you said you wanted quiet. It's also unlikely that you'll be the only engineer with 4 people who do History, the only UK student with 4 international students, the only 18 year old with 4 21 year olds and in an en suite when you said you didn't want it. Because after the system has done it's auto-allocation, we go through, with the Warden for the residence, and make sure the make-up of each flat looks OK. And if it doesn't, we move people around before they get their offer.
Because we think that who you live with is more important than where you live and, although it's never going to be 100%, that seems to give the best chance. And if you do end up with people you don't get on with, we try to make moving flats (either by swapping or applying for a transfer to a vacant room) as easy as possible.

Now that really was too much information!!!!! Congratulations if you made it to the end!
Damn but wow! thanks. People are more important than place. JB'd probably be more reasonable seeing as i'm doing engineering right? But it seems like a pretty cool system. If only JB had a bar like CD

With info like that i can basically get wherever i want (kind off)

errr, I don't know. This might help http://iss.leeds.ac.uk/resnet
There is some degree of control over all the heating - it will just vary over how much control there is from residence to residence. We're actually looking at our heating policy at the moment - I'll try and ensure it goes up on the website when it's completed. We need to balance everyone being comfortable with the need to cut our carbon emissions or we'll be fined. And there's nothing more annoying than going into a flat to find the heating on full and all the windows open.
I was told in Clarence it's completely in your control as an individual

That's fair enough, just that a lot of my friends in uni complain about the cold.

We don't. They are done by professional photographers and we obviously make sure that the rooms are clean, neat and tidy but there's nothing else done as far as I know (do professional photographers photoshop stuff? I suspect they don't need to). Which pictures do you think are photoshopped? (actually, we did once photoshop out a skanky tea towel hanging on a cupboard door in North Hill Court but that's it! ........... in fact, I've just checked the website and it's still there, we obviously just picked the photo where it looked least skanky)
Ha right, Clarence didn't look the same, especially outside, and the bar inside was completely different from what was in the picture though i liked the actual one better
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Prose Before Hoes)
I think the only thing really deterring me is the distance and that really irks me because I know the bus can take minutes to get to campus. It's really pathetic that I'd rather walk.

I'm going to do what I do best and make a list.

Lists are good.

(setting myself up for an impossible ask here)
Everytime it's about to become resolved i'm pulled to the other side, the sensible choice is JB atm, but give me a couple of minutes and my mind'll be changed :lol:

It really is, maybe i should go again, lol
accomoffice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Xabi17)
Accomoffice, hope you don't mind answering a couple more questions!
Not at all

Which halls have WiFi in their halls and which don't? I know all have Internet, but wondering which have to be plugged in and which don't, and whether my phone can connect to it! It won't make a difference to my choice I imagine though.
Stormy J definitely. In a lot of the others, it will depend where you are in the residence because there is wirelss in a lot of the communal areas which will stretch to some blocks but not others. But as I said above, this may help http://iss.leeds.ac.uk/resnet

Also, if you're allowed...if you were a first year undergraduate...which would be your first choice and why?
I think Lupton. The reason being is that its location is about perfect (right in the middle of Headingley); having shared bathrooms before, I know that you're only sharing with strangers for the first day or so, after that, you're sharing with 4 people who have become your mates; I'd quite like to conserve as much of my money as possible to spend on other stuff and its such a big residence, there's always going to someone who wants to do/go what you want to.
That said, half of the staff in the office who were students in Leeds lived in Bodington and they reckon it's absolutely the best place you could ever be. So that would probably be my second choice.
accomoffice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dmz)
Clarence didn't look the same, especially outside, and the bar inside was completely different from what was in the picture though i liked the actual one better
Hmm, just had a look at them and apart from the shot where the photographer is clearly lying flat on his back in the doorway, the other extrnal shot is of the other side of the river so that's the view from your window. Thatcould be a bit deceptive, couldn't it? (although that wasn't our intention - actually, I think our buidlings are nicer than those overpriced flats on the other side of the river) I'll try and make sure we put a different one up.
And there's another kitchen photo with a skanky teatowel!! (in the gallery bit)
I think the bar might have been refurbished since that picture was taken - photographers are so expensive that we can't retake everywhere every year.
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hmm, just had a look at them and apart from the shot where the photographer is clearly lying flat on his back in the doorway, the other extrnal shot is of the other side of the river so that's the view from your window. Thatcould be a bit deceptive, couldn't it? (although that wasn't our intention - actually, I think our buidlings are nicer than those overpriced flats on the other side of the river) I'll try and make sure we put a different one up.
And there's another kitchen photo with a skanky teatowel!! (in the gallery bit)
I think the bar might have been refurbished since that picture was taken - photographers are so expensive that we can't retake everywhere every year.
Yer, that one threw me, cos it looked newish there but in actual it was a lot older!
Very

Yer, the price makes it hard to ignore as well, i'm never going to make a decision
Haha yer. Oh right, you could just get a student to do it cos everyone has an honest perspective of it and no-one'll be disappointed when they go down. Photographers need to make money though i suppose
Mask Of Sanity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RJW193)
yep self catered too :bigsmile:, the rooms were really nice and the kitchen was HUGE compared to the other ones i went to. I liked North Hill Court aswell but i think it might be too small and that puts me off a bit, where else are you looking at?
It was a lot bigger than I expected! Definitely a good thing. Plus the rooms themselves are a good size as well. I didn't see North Hill Court, but I did like Clarence Dock as well.
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
-
Another question If you applied to James Bailie for en-suite, are there chances of you getting non-ensuite?
RJW193
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
It was a lot bigger than I expected! Definitely a good thing. Plus the rooms themselves are a good size as well. I didn't see North Hill Court, but I did like Clarence Dock as well.
oh i never saw Clarence Dock, what's it like? well North Hill Court was like Dev on a smaller scale, massive rooms and a one in four chance of getting a balcony on your room, HOWEVER the kitchens were diddy, well the kitchen in the flat i saw was anyway
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Forget it i'm going with JB ...i think
dmz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame)
-
According to this HP doesn't have wireless either
http://iss.leeds.ac.uk/info/270/resi...8/about_resnet
- Major -
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
-
Hey, just to let you know you're doing a great job with helping people here, much appreciated.

I have one question, I applied for accommodation on the website and recieved the email confirming my choice. Later on i relogged in to change something on my application but at the bottom it said complete my application again and i recieved another email confirming my choice....Is that how it's suppose to be? and it's done now? I don't want it to come to july to find out it was done wrong...
alevels
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Accomoffice I have a question please:

If I choose James Baillie and put Location as my number 1 does that mean that I have a low chance of getting it? And does that mean that I have a higher chance of getting something closer like the tannery? (which i dont really like the sound of)
accomoffice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by - Major -)
Hey, just to let you know you're doing a great job with helping people here, much appreciated.

I have one question, I applied for accommodation on the website and recieved the email confirming my choice. Later on i relogged in to change something on my application but at the bottom it said complete my application again and i recieved another email confirming my choice....Is that how it's suppose to be? and it's done now? I don't want it to come to july to find out it was done wrong...
You definitely get an email that confirms everything (rather than just what you've changed). And if you have that email, then that means that your application is complete.
girlwithsharpteeth
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Any thoughts about my previous question regarding tenancy lengths?
accomoffice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alevels)
Accomoffice I have a question please:

If I choose James Baillie and put Location as my number 1 does that mean that I have a low chance of getting it? And does that mean that I have a higher chance of getting something closer like the tannery? (which i dont really like the sound of)
When you're being considered for James Baillie, the system doesn't even look at what you've put as your important features so it doesn't matter what you put - you and the other 4 million applying have the same chance
But, if it can't put you in James Baillie, that's when it starts to look at your important features, to determine what other hall to try.
- Major -
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You definitely get an email that confirms everything (rather than just what you've changed). And if you have that email, then that means that your application is complete.
Thanks, I got it :P
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (515)
37.56%
No - but I will (107)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed