Psychology Applicants (2012 entry) Watch

Flippin-Mad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mademoiselleida)
Ok, the placement year sounds really interresting, but it's already quite expencive being a overseas student, so I don't know how I feel about a extra year....
I know for UK students the placement year fees are much less. Currently about £1200 or £1500ish, irrespective of if you're paying the £3000ish or £9000ish fees, I'm not sure how this applies to overseas students but I imagine it would still be reduced a lot, obviously still got living costs etc, but worth checking if it would effect your decision
mademoiselleida
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Flippin-Mad)
I know for UK students the placement year fees are much less. Currently about £1200 or £1500ish, irrespective of if you're paying the £3000ish or £9000ish fees, I'm not sure how this applies to overseas students but I imagine it would still be reduced a lot, obviously still got living costs etc, but worth checking if it would effect your decision
I'll definately check it out
darwinwant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xChelseyChelsey)
Again 2011 but willing to help anyone that wants advice.

Applied for psychology at

durham
york
newcastle
leeds
teeside

wow thats's amazing! What were your grades? Did you get offers from all those Unis?
blue-lagoon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have offers from Glasgow and Cardiff (with placement year) but I really can't decide which one to firm...Please, please tell me what you think, I would really appreciate it
Flippin-Mad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey if anyone has a spare min could you please do this survey for a second year research project:

http://drianwalker.com/vehicles/

You can stop whenever you want so doesn't have to take long.

Thanks
Tay594
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a dilemma... All of my offers so far are AAB and I am yet to hear from my first choice who are probably going to offer me AAA. In order to get AAA I need to do one resit and the deadline for resits (before they double in price) is Wednesday. Do you think it is worth me emailing York to ask them if there is a chance my application can be speeded up because of the resit deadline?
Or do you think this will jeopardise my chances of getting an offer?
HELP HELP HELP

I'm putting this in two threads because I advice asap since I will email them soon if I decide it is the best option.
darwinwant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What are your predicted grades and what subjects are you doing? Wondering if mine are adequate
darwinwant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's to everyone btw
Jackkkkk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by darwinwant)
What are your predicted grades and what subjects are you doing? Wondering if mine are adequate
Predicted AAA (Psychology, Geography, Religious Studies).

Firming Bristol/Exeter
Jackkkkk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tay594)
I have a dilemma... All of my offers so far are AAB and I am yet to hear from my first choice who are probably going to offer me AAA. In order to get AAA I need to do one resit and the deadline for resits (before they double in price) is Wednesday. Do you think it is worth me emailing York to ask them if there is a chance my application can be speeded up because of the resit deadline?
Or do you think this will jeopardise my chances of getting an offer?
HELP HELP HELP

I'm putting this in two threads because I advice asap since I will email them soon if I decide it is the best option.
You could just put yourself down for a re-take and then if you get the offer take the exam and if you don't get the offer don't take it

If you don't turn up to the exam you just get an 'x' on your exam script and your old mark will still remain

GOOD LUCK
darwinwant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jackkkkk)
Predicted AAA (Psychology, Geography, Religious Studies).

Firming Bristol/Exeter
That's amazing - well done!
darwinwant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I'm predicted AAA for Economics, Biology and Psychology what University do you think I could go to? Would this be good enough for Bristol?
catoswyn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I'm predicted AAA for Economics, Biology and Psychology what University do you think I could go to? Would this be good enough for Bristol?
Bristol wants 3 A's and two sciences so you'd be good for that. However even with those grades and subjects it can be hard to get a place.... over a thousand students for 80 places. Why not give it a go though as one of your choices? Someone has to be succesful and it could be you!

Other places to consider:

Exeter (AAA to AAB)
York
Oxford (check grade requirements as I can't remember but they are experiemental psych. like Bristol so might be your thing)

Kent (offers extra bursaries etc to low income AAA students)
Cardiff
both have placement years.

Unfortunately you'd be excluded from Bath as it requires an A* as does Cambridge.

Look on line at somewhere like Guardian Guide to universities subject tables to get ideas of places to research. Also try to include one place that will offer lower grades as a back up choice.

Don't forget to consider what bursaries and scholarships are on offer and whether you are eligible.

Good luck.

darwinwant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by catoswyn)
Bristol wants 3 A's and two sciences so you'd be good for that. However even with those grades and subjects it can be hard to get a place.... over a thousand students for 80 places. Why not give it a go though as one of your choices? Someone has to be succesful and it could be you!

Other places to consider:

Exeter (AAA to AAB)
York
Oxford (check grade requirements as I can't remember but they are experiemental psych. like Bristol so might be your thing)

Kent
Cardiff
both have placement years.

Unfortunately you'd be excluded from Bath as it requires an A*

Look on line at somewhere like Guardian Guide to universities subject tables to get ideas of places to research. Also try to include one place that will offer lower grades as a back up choice.

Good luck.

Thank you so much! Do you know how hard places like Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham and Sussex are? Really would love to do Psychology but worried about not getting a place.
catoswyn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you so much! Do you know how hard places like Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham and Sussex are? Really would love to do Psychology but worried about not getting a place.
All psychology courses are popular. You can usually tell roughly how difficult they may be to get a place on by the grades they offer.... ie AAA courses are very competitive, BBB courses like Gloucestershire are not so competitive and so forth and/or their place in the table.

It sounds as if you are looking at city universities... try also reading about the alternative universities in cities (such as UWE for Bristol.)

Durham Applied Psychology Stockton (ABB) is interesting because Durham's psychology at the other campus is AAA. They offer ABB as Stockton is a less popular place to study as a campus. However to get Durham on your CV with an ABB is pretty nifty. It is also attached to the Wolfson Research institute. Not a great location though hence the lower grades to tempt people in.....

Some universities tell you their applicant rate to places ratio on line.

Maybe create an A and B list for yourself. What grades do you think you are going to achieve yourself?

darwinwant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All psychology courses are popular. You can usually tell roughly how difficult they may be to get a place on by the grades they offer.... ie AAA courses are very competitive, BBB courses like Gloucestershire are not so competitive and so forth and/or their place in the table.

It sounds as if you are looking at city universities... try also reading about the alternative universities in cities (such as UWE for Bristol.)

Durham Applied Psychology Stockton (ABB) is interesting because Durham's psychology at the other campus is AAA. They offer ABB as Stockton is a less popular place to study as a campus. However to get Durham on your CV with an ABB is pretty nifty. It is also attached to the Wolfson Research institute. Not a great location though hence the lower grades to tempt people in.....

Some universities tell you their applicant rate to places ratio on line.

Maybe create an A and B list for yourself. What grades do you think you are going to achieve yourself?

Thank you so much for your help. I think I will achieve at least AAB judging from my January exams but going to try and work really hard and push it up to AAA.
catoswyn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you so much for your help. I think I will achieve at least AAB judging from my January exams but going to try and work really hard and push it up to AAA.
No problem. Between now and your results you can do lots of research into the different places and then your results may give you an idea of where would be best to head for.

Open days start over the summer for lots of universities.

These are some things to bear in mind:

Psychology courses all cover the same basics as they have to meet the criteria for BPS registration. However they also have house styles and different strengths and weaknesses as psychology is a broad field so can cover social psychology through to neuroscience.

There is also a slight divide between courses concentrating on experimental psychology and a heavy emphasis on science and biological aspects (Bristol, Oxford, Nottingham etc), applied courses and general psych. degrees.

Applied courses could be called 'Applied' as at Durham or Exeter (clinical) or Kent (clinical) or may have an extra in their title such as Lincoln Psychology- Forensic. Or they may not be called 'applied' ie they will just be called 'Psychology'. However they can be identified by the fact they offer placements, maybe even a four year course with a year in the NHS or prison service, or they have many modules in the third year that are in applied areas... education etc. Bath, Cardiff, Kent, Exeter, Loughborough all have such courses but there are many more. The advantage that placements etc confer is that they may give an advantage in applying for work or further study in an applied area afterwards. Applied courses often want you to put some relevant voluntary work or shadowing experience in your statement so if you are interested in these you would need to look at what you are doing to fulfil this requirement.

If you think that you wish to be an applied psychologist afterwards (ie clinical, forensic, educational) it is not strictly neccesary to have been on an applied course though as a general or experimental course does give access.

The experimental courses or those with a science emphasis often require two science A levels (one can be psychology) and/or maths at AS like Birmingham and I think, Edinburgh. Their research teams are often concerned with neuroscience etc. The training is very good for those who wish to go into research afterwards.

General psych. courses can have many different house styles from those most interested in social psychology to those with a clinical or cognitive expertise. Research needed to check what they are about and the research that the lecturers and professors do in each department can give some guide as to where the expertise lies. Some have unusual things like Exeter Psychology still has an animal psychology module whereas animal studies have been dropped in most other places. A broad course allows you to explore all aspects to find out which you like best.

Its all a bit complicated but having a delve into it all is worth it so that you can find the type of place that suits you best.

Good luck
darwinwant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No problem. Between now and your results you can do lots of research into the different places and then your results may give you an idea of where would be best to head for.

Open days start over the summer for lots of universities.

These are some things to bear in mind:

Psychology courses all cover the same basics as they have to meet the criteria for BPS registration. However they also have house styles and different strengths and weaknesses as psychology is a broad field so can cover social psychology through to neuroscience.

There is also a slight divide between courses concentrating on experimental psychology and a heavy emphasis on science and biological aspects (Bristol, Oxford, Nottingham etc), applied courses and general psych. degrees.

Applied courses could be called 'Applied' as at Durham or Exeter (clinical) or Kent (clinical) may have an extra in their title such as Kent: Psychology with clinical or Lincoln Psychology- Forensic. Or they may not be called 'applied' ie they will just be called 'Psychology'. However they can be identified by the fact they offer placements, maybe even a four year course with a year in the NHS or prison service, or they have many modules in the third year that are in applied areas... education etc. Bath, Cardiff, Kent, Exeter, Loughborough all have such courses but there are many more. The advantage that placements ete confer is that they may give an advantage in applying for work or further study in an applied area afterwards. Applied courses often want you to put some relevant voluntary work or shadowing experience in your statement so if you are interested in these you would need to look at what you are doing to fulfil this requirement.

If you think that you wish to be an applied psychologist afterwards (ie clinical, forensic, educational) it is not strictly neccesary to have been on an applied course though as a general or experimental course does give access.

The experimental courses or those with a science emphasis often require two science A levels (one can be psychology) and/or maths at AS like Birmingham. Their research teams are often concerned with neuroscience etc. The training is very good for those who wish to go into research afterwards.

General psych. courses can have many different houe styles from those most interested in social psychology to those with a clinical or cognitive expertise. Research needed to check what they are about and the research that the lecturers and professors do in each department can give some guide as to where the expertise lies. Some have unusual things like Exeter Psychology still has animal research available.

Its all a bit complicated but having a delve into it all is worth it so that you can find the type of place that suits you best.

Good luck
Oh you've been so much help thanks for putting so much time into helping me! This information has been really useful. Do you have any advice in getting work experience, everyone has said that it's quite difficult to get for Psychology.
Thank you thank you thank you
catoswyn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh you've been so much help thanks for putting so much time into helping me! This information has been really useful. Do you have any advice in getting work experience, everyone has said that it's quite difficult to get for Psychology.
Thank you thank you thank you
No problem, really, glad to help.

Okay work experience is tricky. Direct psychology work is virtually impossible due to the nature of the work and client privacy. For lots of stuff you need to be eighteen or over.

However universities understand that and take it into account. So they look for things related rather than direct experience. The thing to remember is that it is what you draw from your observations while doing the stuff that they are interested in. So a day or a week in a school would involve you thinking about child development etc

1. Any volunteer or work with client groups such as experience with elderly people who may have dementia, or volunteer work with those with special needs. This can be anything from helping with trips or local organisations, to visits and talking to staff, to knowing a family or person and providing informal support. Try organisations such as the volunteer bureau or age concern or look on line for advice for medical students who have to do the same sort of thing and see the organisations available for them. You can use them too.

2. Volunteer or work or visit to schools, playgroups, prisons, etc Any work with under represented or minority groups in the community....

3. Interview or shadow someone in the health services. This doesn't have to be a psychologist. You could interview a pharmacist about psychotropic drugs, or observe in a GP surgery or at a local hospital. Clinical psychologists work as part of the NHS and in teams so getting any overview of the NHS is good.

4. If you have the chance to do an extended project you can do it in a psychology related subject and tie this in to your visits or experience. For example a project on child development might include a visit to or experience with a playgroup. A project on pharmacological aspects of psychology might involve your interview with a psychiatrist or pharmacist or a visit to a drugs company to find out how drugs are brought to market. A project on mental health issues in prisons might involve an interview with a probation officer to find out about their work, a study into post traumatic stress disorder could cover refugees or the armed forces and involve talking to relevant people like refugee organisations or shelter or the salvation army blah blah.... Look locally. For instance here we have the national centre for brain damaged children so that is an obvious place to start for people in this area. You may have something in your area of interest.

5. Make the most of anything you've got. If you have a personal interest you can develop this. For example if you love cricket or football or sport you can look into things like sports psychology or the effect of physical injuries on mental health or the behaviour of football crowds or a report on the 'Hillsborough Disaster' from a psychological/social psychology perspective.
If you are in a music club you could research the use of music in therapy etc etc.
If you are into Yoga you could look at how holistic approaches are used in some fields of therapy like 'mindfulness'.
The list is endless really.

6. Start reading and following threads that involve people with depression or other problems supporting each other. This can give you an insight into such conditions from an individuals point of view.

7. If you have a p/t job think about what it can teach you about organisational psych. issues.

You don't have to do all these things!!! You need to have something you can talk about with enthusiasm in your statement and it does depend where you are applying. For instance Bristol won't care so much.. Exeter clinical regard it as central to your application.

Good luck
PM me if you want to run any of your own ideas past me for expansion
Leonie_Kavanagh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've just firmed my offer for Nottingham Trent to do Psychology anyone else going? x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (355)
37.57%
No - but I will (74)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise