Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Names which you mispronounced for years, before eventually realising... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Cheyenne - The first time I heard this pronounced I thought it was an American person pronouncing 'Sian' incorrectly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDubs)
    I got it wrong during a game of trivial persuit. I kept saying arkansas (the way it Should be pronounced) and everyone was saying "ive never heard of that", i then preceded to call them idiots and uncultured, until my granny read the card, pronounced it right, everyone mocked me
    Haha, oh dear! I probably would have been the same. I still can't believe it's pronounced like that...I've been reading it wrong for years

(Original post by Dagnabbit)
    Cheyenne - The first time I heard this pronounced I thought it was an American person pronouncing 'Sian' incorrectly.
    I'm gonna have a guess and say "Shay-enn"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mequa)
    And in the movie "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" they pronounced "Socrates" as "Sah-cratez."
    Playing Articulate a while back and my friend (probably about 15/6 at the time) was trying to describe the person on her card to me.
    Her: "The first bit is the first bit of my name" (Sophie)
    Me: "So"
    Her: "Yeah, the second bit is like what milk comes in" (She meant crate)

Time ran out before I could guess and after I asked her what it was and she replied "So-crates"
    I nearly wet myself when I realised she meant Socrates, I had no chance of getting the right answer!!

ReputationRep:
    bronagh

i pronounced it bro-nag

but it's like bro-nuh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDubs)
    Arkansas. Its actually Ark-in-saw, what the hell america?!
    Try getting an American to pronounce "Gloucestershire". Usually it comes out as "Glauwz-ester-shiyer".

ReputationRep:
    A guy I know's girlfriend is called Siobhan and a few of his friends had been calling her See-oh-ban
    They call her seabiscuit now (I don't know why?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mequa)
    Try getting an American to pronounce "Gloucestershire". Usually it comes out as "Glauwz-ester-shiyer".
    Try getting anyone non-British to pronounce "Loughborough"

American attempt(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv4vRbwSlBI

And then there's the classic Australian "Looga-bu-rooga"...

ReputationRep:
    If I saw the name Niamh written down I thought it was pronounced Niama and not like Nieve.
    Eoghan I didn't know that was the irish spelling for Owen .
    and Yvette.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysteriouschic)
    If I saw the name Niamh written down I thought it was pronounced Niama and not like Nieve.
    Eoghan I didn't know that was the irish spelling for Owen .
    and Yvette.
    I still get called Niama D:!

Aoife - eefa

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so it's not a PERSON'S name, and it's intentional as opposed to misinterpreted/mispronounced, but I always refer to Bahlsen's "Choco Liebniz" biscuits as "Choco Lesbians".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Village Whisper)
    I'm gonna have a guess and say "Shay-enn"?
    It's pronounced 'shy ANNE' (stress on 2nd). It's Native American I think. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My name's Magdalena
    People keep pronouncing it Magda-lee-na, when actually it's Magda-le-na (le as in leg). It used to annoy me very much, so now I use my nick name (Magda) rather than a full name

ReputationRep:
    Sian, Sean, Anthony, Deriek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Village Whisper)
    Try getting anyone non-British to pronounce "Loughborough"

American attempt(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv4vRbwSlBI

And then there's the classic Australian "Looga-bu-rooga"...
    There's an area in Edinburgh called Sciennes, pronounced "sheens". A tourist at a bus stop asked me which bus to take to get to "skinnis" and I told him I'd never heard of it, I only worked it out later

Still not as funny as the American who asked my boyfriend for directions to "ly-ses-ter square" :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I thought Sci-fi was was Sky-fi until about 15.

ReputationRep:
    I used to teach a girl called Angharad, which everyone pronounced Ann-harrad. Years later, I discover that her name was actually pronounced Ang-a-rad and she was just too shy to correct us all... poor kid!

ReputationRep:
    When I was in primary, I'd address my friend, Sophia, as "soph-I-a". Until a very short time before she moved away, she finally caved and told me it was in fact pronounced "soph-ee-a".

To this day, I can never quite get the D and J in "Mahmoud Ahmedinejad" the correct way around, and I change my pronunciation of "Phnom Penh" about five times daily.

Another is the country adjacent to Vietnam, Laos. I always pronounced it "lay-os" until my brother pointed out that it's pronounced "louse". I also used to say Suriname as "surname" with an extra I, Kyrgyzstan "cargizistan", and Addis Ababa with the stress on the "bab".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lenina)
    When I was in primary, I'd address my friend, Sophia, as "soph-I-a". Until a very short time before she moved away, she finally caved and told me it was in fact pronounced "soph-ee-a".

To this day, I can never quite get the D and J in "Mahmoud Ahmedinejad" the correct way around, and I change my pronunciation of "Phnom Penh" about five times daily.

Another is the country adjacent to Vietnam, Laos. I always pronounced it "lay-os" until my brother pointed out that it's pronounced "louse". I also used to say Suriname as "surname" with an extra I, Kyrgyzstan "cargizistan", and Addis Ababa with the stress on the "bab".
    I still say Layos, Louse creeps me out as it makes me think of head lice

ReputationRep:
    Most people mispronounce 'Dylan' - its 'Duh-lahn', not 'Dillon' ...

ReputationRep:
    Also heard Thailand as 'Thigh-land' a few times

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: August 13, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.