Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    Can someone help me out with this question? I always mess up statics of rigid bodies when it comes to angles:
    2b:
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...e_20110128.pdf

Thanks.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The c.o.m must be on the axis OA 'cos symmetry. The toy hanging with OB at 30 degrees from the vertical implies the c.o.m lies rtan30 along OA. However there is also another way to work out the c.o.m, this allows you to equate the two formulas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma09)
    Hi, hopefully this is the right place to post this, I have a question regarding the m3 `prove that` questions:
    does anyone happen to know if you have to have exactly what they have in the mark schemes in the questions that ask you to prove something?

Sometimes I still get to the right answer, but its different from the method in the mark scheme - for example, I just did a question where you had to prove something by resolving forces, and I used cos x, found the angle, and used this to get to the right answer, but they didn't have any angles in their answer as they eliminated the angle straight away so my working wasn't exactly the same as any of the marking points; would I still get the marks?

thanks
    As far as I know, as long as no wrong working ie error, omission is seen, they can't reduce a mark for a different method. But as I said, the method shouldn't be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mashmammad)
    As far as I know, as long as no wrong working ie error, omission is seen, they can't reduce a mark for a different method. But as I said, the method shouldn't be wrong.
    Okay, that's good, thank you

ReputationRep:
    could somone explain the best way to do 3b on january 2010 please

EDIT: its ok, I did it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma09)
    Hi, hopefully this is the right place to post this, I have a question regarding the m3 `prove that` questions:
    does anyone happen to know if you have to have exactly what they have in the mark schemes in the questions that ask you to prove something?

Sometimes I still get to the right answer, but its different from the method in the mark scheme - for example, I just did a question where you had to prove something by resolving forces, and I used cos x, found the angle, and used this to get to the right answer, but they didn't have any angles in their answer as they eliminated the angle straight away so my working wasn't exactly the same as any of the marking points; would I still get the marks?

thanks
    probably yes....I think as long as they didn't ask for it to be worked out using a certain method, and valid working should give you the marks (otherwise that'd be really unfair on us!)

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone with M3 tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constance2013)
    Hello Fellow math prodigies--I have a problem(its long but please help) I just got released from the hospital for health issues that I had, and it hit me that I am completely unprepared for FP3,!!!not even the first chapter, and I have other exams like FP2, C4 C3 and unit 4 and 5 of aqa physics that I need to pump up for...is it possible for me to withdraw from the exam? I could cram everything in but I will not do good, and my other modules will be dragged down too from being obsessed over fp3... am taking a gap year next year because of health reasons but I realized that you cant do fp3 in jan(or can you?) What other A2 maths modules can you do in jan(can you do m3)...jan next year is the only time I can take exams as ill be in hospital most of the summer...

I am also freaking out that there has to be a specific combo of maths modules you choose is this right?
    So far I have C1 C2 S1 S2 D1 FP1 M1 M2 and will be sitting fp2 and c3 4 within the next two weeks

I know that if I sat fp3 from less than 2 weeks revision (for the hardest maths module!!) I will end up retaking which isnt favoured by unis

Thank you for reading my ramble
    any help/advice appreciated.

Love from London
    There are no more january exams unfortunately... you could do the exams now and get special consideration via a doctor's letter saying you were ill on the day. Or you could just wait til next summer?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

How well do you think you can do in the other modules, because you could still get an A with a bad fp3 if you do well in the other modules....?

There are quite a lot of options actually, but its hard to pick relevant ones without you giving us more information

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kettlechips)
    There are no more january exams unfortunately... you could do the exams now and get special consideration via a doctor's letter saying you were ill on the day. Or you could just wait til next summer?
    From what I've heard special consideration will get you next to nothing extra ums, sorry buddy

I mean if you would be able to do extraordinarily better if you took it next year then take a gap year, it's a sacrifice worth making

ReputationRep:
    guys i think i am gonna fail this exam !!!!!! its tooooo hard !!!!!!

plz help, how do i go to university?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, does Arsey do M3?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•)
    Guys, does Arsey do M3?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Usually I like to think that these exams rely on skill more than luck.

But given the other Edexcel maths exams this year, I think we're going to need luck as well.

So best of luck to everyone taking M3 tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miken Moose)
    Usually I like to think that these exams rely on skill more than luck.

But given the other Edexcel maths exams this year, I think we're going to need luck as well.

So best of luck to everyone taking M3 tomorrow!
    Have the other exams really been that bad :O?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•)
    Guys, does Arsey do M3?
    I don't think so, but I'll do it as soon as I can get my hands on it. Unfortunately, the exams officer at my college is a lot less cooperative than Arsey's, so that might be in several days time.

Of course, if Arsey or anyone else can post the QP any earlier, that could speed things up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    yes
    I stand corrected. But the offer still applies for M4.

ReputationRep:
    i am screwed

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    sooo, how did everyone find it??

ReputationRep:
    Will anyone post the solution of international M3 paper?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.