Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanbam)
    Hi DC251,This may not help as I was part of cohort 2 and ours was 18 months as opposed to 14 months and we got paid (£22,500 tax-free for the 18 months which in reality was actually 17)We got paid £5,000 every four months and then the remaining £2,500 two weeks after our last instalment.

I was part of the Greater Manchester Partnership although I do know that two other partnerships also paid students like GMP paid us.It may be different now as you do 14 months now, however when I was doing it. We generally had 2/3 days at uni per week, the other days were self-directed study days, where the onus was on us to use as reading relevant material. Whilst on placement we did four days per week on placement with the outstanding day either at uni or doing self-directed studying.

We got 2 weeks over xmas off however were on placement during easter so just got the three stat days off then.Hope this helps, but please do bear in mind that it may be somewhat different since when I did it.

Good luck
    Hi, I hope you can help offer a bit of advice. I've read from a previous student of the SUTSW post grad that they were at uni or placement from 9 to 5 then they studied at home until 11pm plus studying all day on Saturday and Sunday. I am wondering if this was your experience of it too. I do not mind hard work and I expect it to be just that, but I've got children and need to still be a mum. I have a supportive partner, but he works too. Any information on your experience of this would be very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have applied to Step up to Social work 2015 in Hampshire. I have the assessment centre next week and wondered how I should prepare for it? Any tips much appreciated! Are you working as a social worker now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare72)
    Hi, I hope you can help offer a bit of advice. I've read from a previous student of the SUTSW post grad that they were at uni or placement from 9 to 5 then they studied at home until 11pm plus studying all day on Saturday and Sunday. I am wondering if this was your experience of it too. I do not mind hard work and I expect it to be just that, but I've got children and need to still be a mum. I have a supportive partner, but he works too. Any information on your experience of this would be very much appreciated.
    Hi Clare, I want to reduce your fears. Yes whilst on placement you do have to work from 9-5 but I only recall spending some evenings doing some reading and essays when due in. I certainly did not spend the whole of weekend doing my work and I have three children too so had to fit it round childcare commitments as my wife works full time too. Yes at times it will be demanding but you should have the support from uni and placement suprvisors who actually want you to succeed for the time any money invested in you. Actually above all the biggest support to you will be your peers on the course who will be going through exactly the same thing as you. I ended up with 66% as a average mark, which is at Merit level and I did not spend every hour god sent on the programme. Please do do do apply, it's a great chance to gain the qualification without all the student loan expenses and you actually are getting paid to do it! Result. Although I was on cohort 2 and it may be different now, please do contact me regarding any info I may be able to share with you regarding assessment center, and if you are successful further then I have all my assigments to hand which I am happy to share with you too, so please please please do not worry and get applying. Sarfraz

ReputationRep:
    Hi mandk well done and congratulations for getting through to the assessment centre

Facets of the assessments process may differ for each regional partnership. We at Greater Manchester partnership had a written assessment, group interview and then a panel interview. I know from chatting to candidates from the Yorkshire & humberside partnership that they also had to do a role play assessment over the phone.*

I would say don't worry yourself too much about reading and prep as they are more interested in your values, ethics and morals associated to SW. All of who got through last year would echo this. Although I would suggest that you read up on your own examples and answers given in the competency sections of the application. Additionally although I haden't but I would suggest if you really wanted to then I would just say read up on munro's 2011 report as she is considered the leading pioneer for changes to SW practice.*

The following is what took place at the assessment centre when I attended. ( but it may have changed this time round. )*

Written assessment: a young person is in need of services due to issues at home, *in line with the children act what factors and issues would you need to consider. ( you will be given parts of the children act and other relevant literature you will be required to refer to- so please do not read up on the the children act, and itl take for ever) summarise main points, bullet point if that makes it easier. Underline sections that are relevant when you reading through if this makes it easier for you.*

Group interview; we were given an example of a young group of people who weren't engaging with services and we as a group had to discuss ideas which may engage them. This may get a bit dog eat dog as everyone will want to get they point accross. Please don't get into all that. Make sure you contribute to the discussion, but also listen to others, don't overpower your views on others and dont overtake the discussion. All of us who got through played a active role in the discussions but probably spoke the least. Remember they are assessing you r active listening skills as well as communications skills. If you like soneones idea then compliment then on it, make sure you remain engaged tgoroughourt.*

Panel interview. Will prob include a serving SW, a young person and a university lead. *You will be given a copy of the questions half an hour before giung into the interview: questions for us were *like: why have you applied to susw? Give us an example when you challenged anti-discriminatory practice? What are your strengths and weaknesses? ( when chatting about your weaknesses make sure you chat a bit to what you doing to to improve on them.) why do you want to become a social worker? I think they was one more but I can't quite remember. the

We didn't do this but another partnership also did a role play over the phone taking details from a referral - if you do this make sure u ask them relevant questions to obtain further info and probe further to ensure you have as much info from them as possible.*

And also try to smile as you can throughout the day.*

I wish you all the best, hope you get through through. Keep me informed with how you get on

Good luck.*

If you want further info then feel free to ring or text me ( 07533088952- because this has taken forever to write lol)*

Sarfaz.*

ReputationRep:
    Hi mandk well done and congratulations for getting through to the assessment centre

Facets of the assessments process may differ for each regional partnership. We at Greater Manchester partnership had a written assessment, group interview and then a panel interview. I know from chatting to candidates from the Yorkshire & humberside partnership that they also had to do a role play assessment over the phone.*

I would say don't worry yourself too much about reading and prep as they are more interested in your values, ethics and morals associated to SW. All of who got through last year would echo this. Although I would suggest that you read up on your own examples and answers given in the competency sections of the application. Additionally although I haden't but I would suggest if you really wanted to then I would just say read up on munro's 2011 report as she is considered the leading pioneer for changes to SW practice.*

The following is what took place at the assessment centre when I attended. ( but it may have changed this time round. )*

Written assessment: a young person is in need of services due to issues at home, *in line with the children act what factors and issues would you need to consider. ( you will be given parts of the children act and other relevant literature you will be required to refer to- so please do not read up on the the children act, and itl take for ever) summarise main points, bullet point if that makes it easier. Underline sections that are relevant when you reading through if this makes it easier for you.*

Group interview; we were given an example of a young group of people who weren't engaging with services and we as a group had to discuss ideas which may engage them. This may get a bit dog eat dog as everyone will want to get they point accross. Please don't get into all that. Make sure you contribute to the discussion, but also listen to others, don't overpower your views on others and dont overtake the discussion. All of us who got through played a active role in the discussions but probably spoke the least. Remember they are assessing you r active listening skills as well as communications skills. If you like soneones idea then compliment then on it, make sure you remain engaged tgoroughourt.*

Panel interview. Will prob include a serving SW, a young person and a university lead. *You will be given a copy of the questions half an hour before giung into the interview: questions for us were *like: why have you applied to susw? Give us an example when you challenged anti-discriminatory practice? What are your strengths and weaknesses? ( when chatting about your weaknesses make sure you chat a bit to what you doing to to improve on them.) why do you want to become a social worker? I think they was one more but I can't quite remember. the

We didn't do this but another partnership also did a role play over the phone taking details from a referral - if you do this make sure u ask them relevant questions to obtain further info and probe further to ensure you have as much info from them as possible.*

And also try to smile as you can throughout the day.*

I wish you all the best, hope you get through through. Keep me informed with how you get on

Good luck.*

If you want further info then feel free to ring or text me ( 07533088952- because this has taken forever to write lol)*

Sarfaz.*
    (Original post by mandk)
    Hi, I have applied to Step up to Social work 2015 in Hampshire. I have the assessment centre next week and wondered how I should prepare for it? Any tips much appreciated! Are you working as a social worker now?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Clare, I want to reduce your fears. Yes whilst on placement you do have to work from 9-5 but I only recall spending some evenings doing some reading and essays when due in. I certainly did not spend the whole of weekend doing my work and I have three children too so had to fit it round childcare commitments as my wife works full time too. Yes at times it will be demanding but you should have the support from uni and placement suprvisors who actually want you to succeed for the time any money invested in you. Actually above all the biggest support to you will be your peers on the course who will be going through exactly the same thing as you. I ended up with 66% as a average mark, which is at Merit level and I did not spend every hour god sent on the programme. Please do do do apply, it's a great chance to gain the qualification without all the student loan expenses and you actually are getting paid to do it! Result. Although I was on cohort 2 and it may be different now, please do contact me regarding any info I may be able to share with you regarding assessment center, and if you are successful further then I have all my assigments to hand which I am happy to share with you too, so please please please do not worry and get applying. Sarfraz
    Hi Sarfraz,
    Thanks so much for your long and reassuring reply, it's has boosted my confidence as I was seriously beginning to doubt if I could make it work for me with the commitment of my family. I also read your reply about the assessment day you wrote to someone else, which was very informative. 2 weeks until my assessment day, so time enough to get ideas together for the interview etc. I'm a recovery worker with substance misuse clients so have years of experience of working with challenging, marginalised people to encourage/support them to make positive changes, which hopefully I will draw on effectively. Once again, thanks for the reply. 😊

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sarfaz, that is so kind of you to take the time to reply to me in detail. I'm going to take your advice and I'll let you know how I get on! Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    ]Hi Sarfaz, that is so kind of you to take the time to reply to me in detail. I'm going to take your advice and I'll let you know how I get on! Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Clare,

I'm glad you feel a bit more relaxed, you've got years of relevant experience to draw upon. I wish you the best of luck, do let me know how you get on

ReputationRep:
    Your very welcome.

Do have a look though, if there are any threads though about the assessment Stage for SU2SW Cohort 3. as this may give a more updated insight. I wish you the best of luck, do let me know how you get on

Sarfraz

ReputationRep:
    Hi Clare,

I'm glad you feel a bit more relaxed, you've got years of relevant experience to draw upon. I wish you the best of luck, do let me know how you get on
    Thanks a lot, I will let you know the outcome

ReputationRep:
    Your very welcome.

Do have a look though, if there are any threads though about the assessment Stage for SU2SW Cohort 3. as this may give a more updated insight. I wish you the best of luck, do let me know how you get on

Sarfraz

ReputationRep:
    Your very welcome.

Sarfraz[

ReputationRep:
    Hii

I have got through to the assessment centre at Sheffield. Nervous!! But the information everyone has been adding on here has been great as I have been worried about what I've got ahead of me!! Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!

Alix

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

Congrats to everyone who made it through to the next stage. I have been invited to the Assessment centre for the West London Alliance Region. Please can anyone advice on what to expect and what kind of questions will be asked. Those who have done this last year or few years back. Hook us up

ReputationRep:
    Your very welcome.

Sarfraz
    Hi Sarfraz,
    Just thought I'd let you,know that I was successful and got in. Very happy news for me though I'd better be ready for a lot of hard work. Roll on January. Thanks for your support x

ReputationRep:
    Hi, congratulations those who got through and good luck in next endeavours to all those not accepted this time. Im wondering if any past/current students have any book recommendations or better still old books they used they want to pass onto a new step up student? Happy to make payment in amazing cupcakes, phenominal carrot cake or delightful devilish chocolate cake! Lol Only kidding. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Can you give me some advice about what the course entails in terms of time commitment and workload and also what the assessment day includes.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    2 months in and it's great but pretty full on. In our area, we started with a 4 day residential then 2 further weeks of 5 full uni days before we had our readiness to direct practice assessment prior to starting our placement. Felt very quick to suddenly find yourself as a social work student, but we are all coping with this transiston.
    Now I am a student social worker in the statutory looked after children and moving on team for 4 days a week and at uni for 1 day. Just finished week 5 in placement. First placement is 70 days, then it's 2 exams and some assessment then 3 week "holiday" but it's not really holiday, before the second 100 day placement starts. Most step up students are in voluntary service placements.
    It's hard work for sure, but you put in what you want to get out. It's tiring working pretty much full time then needing to study at nights, but I usually study for 3 hours 3 times a week in the evenings and 1 days at the weekend if I'm being good. This will obviously increase towards exam time and essay times.
    I have 2 young ish children 8 and 11) and 4 step children, so I am busy. It's hard. But if you want to do it, you will find a way. It's really important to get that balance of work, study and family life. The support you get from your uni tutor, placement supervisor, educator and mentor are fantastic. I had not been in education for 21 years prior to this course, so if I can do it, so can you. if you seriously want to be a children and family social worker, go for it. I love my placement.
    If you get through to assessment stage, message me on here and I will explain what happened in my area, but it's different in different areas. It was 4 hours and a real test of your abilities, as we has a interview, role play, exam and speed interview by 5 ex service users for 5 minutes each. Yes, definitely recommended if you want to be a social worker, but be ready to be tired and work very hard. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am planning to apply again for step up for the 2018 cohort do you have any advice for the application process? I have worked in a range of settings with children and young people for 4 years. What was your background?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.