ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishkmistry)
    How do you solve this ?Attachment 215804 Q8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright. Here is what you do.

You have to change the equation to be in form of sin

sin^2 + cos ^2 = 1

cos^2 = 1 - sin^2

Substitute that into the equation and you have a quadratic equation.

You solve the quadratic. And find the basic angle.

0< theta <360 and since it is sin, your answers would be the basic angle and 180 - the basic angle.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I'll sit M3 FP3 and S2 in year 13... So I have maths modules left... Because there's no a.f.maths...

FP1, FP2 and M2 in yr 12.

Chemistry I think... Or NatSci... Depends... And yeah, I absolutely love languages :moon:
    I see. Well you have a lot of time to decide still!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    More challenging, but not outlandishly so.
    Exam Pressure mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reubenkinara)
    I see. Well you have a lot of time to decide still!
    Yep! Essentially I can apply for any course... I was thinking of doing STEP I, in year 12? :dontknow:

Except medicine, but even that apparently I could study with chem

ReputationRep:
    Partly why I'm glad I did it early, next year hopefully I'll get 95+ in M2 (naive?) and then show M1 was a bad day
    Personally, I did better in M2 than I did in M1, mostly because M1 didn't contribute to the A* for Maths and M2 does for Further Maths, a week before the exam I destroyed all the past papers and solomons and got 94/100, very chuffed with that
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by krishkmistry)
    How do you solve this ?Attachment 215804 Q8

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Use the identity sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1
    Once you get it in the requested form, solve it like the quadratic so that you have sin(x)=something, then use arc sin and your knowledge of the periodicity of the sine curve to solve
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anythingoo1)
    Personally, I did better in M2 than I did in M1, mostly because M1 didn't contribute to the A* for Maths and M2 does for Further Maths, a week before the exam I destroyed all the past papers and solomons and got 94/100, very chuffed with that
    Hopefully that will be the case for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anythingoo1)
    Well done! I was annoyed because I was hitting 70+ in my past papers, then bam! Hard paper and got 65 raw marks...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Yep! Essentially I can apply for any course... I was thinking of doing STEP I, in year 12? :dontknow:

I don't see why you couldn't apply for medicine if you're planning on taking Chemistry. I've no knowledge on Step but I suppose if you do I early then you can do II and III the subsequent year.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why you couldn't apply for medicine if you're planning on taking Chemistry. I've no knowledge on Step but I suppose if you do I early then you can do II and III the subsequent year.
    No Biology?

I'm not doing any more step I is enough if I do it :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAyman12)
    Exam Pressure mate.
    I am full well aware of that, but I was asked objectively as someone who did not have to sit the exam what my opinion of it was. Based on what I've seen, my point still stands. I am not trying to put anyone down, I just disagree with the people who think that this paper was a nightmare comparable to the likes of M2 Jan 2010 (Not M1 but the first paper that comes to mind which genuinely was that hard.)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    No Biology?

I'm not doing any more step I is enough if I do it :mmm:
    Biology isn't necessary which is a bit ironic as the Bio-chem in Medicine is more Biology weighted. From what I've been told, Chemistry is meant to be the harder Alevel and is thus used as the indicator of the applicant's aptitude in addition to the BMAT/UKCAT.
    So, remind me. What Modules in maths will you have completed this year? I remember you expressing interest in various areas but I can't remember what you're actually sitting!

ReputationRep:
    Biology isn't necessary which is a bit ironic as the Bio-chem in Medicine is more Biology weighted. From what I've been told, Chemistry is meant to be the harder Alevel and is thus used as the indicator of the applicant's aptitude in addition to the BMAT/UKCAT.
    So, remind me. What Modules in maths will you have completed this year? I remember you expressing interest in various areas but I can't remember what you're actually sitting!
    Maths modules...

C2, C3, C4 and S1.

ReputationRep:
    Do it - it's good fun
    Yep you can, but there's no point in taking STEP if you want to do medicine :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    I am full well aware of that, but I was asked objectively as someone who did not have to sit the exam what my opinion of it was. Based on what I've seen, my point still stands. I am not trying to put anyone down, I just disagree with the people who think that this paper was a nightmare comparable to the likes of M2 Jan 2010 (Not M1 but the first paper that comes to mind which genuinely was that hard.)
    Just a little question, since you saw the moments question which was worth 14 marks in total.

How much do you think I would lose if I did everything right in part (a) but wrote the final answer incorrectly because of an calculation error I did 250/12 instead of 250/10 hence got part (b) wrong because of the last part but I did also use the right methods in part (b)?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Maths modules...

C2, C3, C4 and S1.
    Thanks. So you've done C1/M1 meaning you're doing the same modules as me this yr?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    For you perhaps
    I salute you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Do it - it's good fun

Yep you can, but there's no point in taking STEP if you want to do medicine :eek:
    Okay

I don't want to, just saying I could apply for any course competitively... (not English actually) I should have:

Spoiler:
    Show

Mathematics and F.Mathematics
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Geography
    French
    History AS
    Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. So you've done C1/M1 meaning you're doing the same modules as me this yr?
    I guess so

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how to do q4 part (b)(ii) on this paper? It's the only 4 marks I lost on the entire paper.
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JUN10.PDF

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.