Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckarr)
    In 'Apply 1' you apply for 3 (for secondary, I don't know about Primary) - the only trouble with this is you apply for them all at the same time, so have to hope that all three of the ones you want to apply for open at the same time! Bit of a stupid system.

You need two references, if you work in a school or volunteer then one reference must be the headteacher (I'm a TA and know for a fact that my Assistant Head who is also my SENCO will write it and the head will just put her name on it). If you've been to Uni within the last 5 years another reference must be from someone at Uni.

From what I can gather, you sign up to UCAS and fill out the application and input the contact details of your two references, and then when you send your application off your referees will be contacted and they then have two weeks to do your reference - it's not sent off until they do.

The personal statement is 47 lines (UCAS - same as when applying for Uni I think) - or 4,000 characters. I'm writing mine at the minute - stressful!
    Hi there, I am going to start my school volunteering soon, do I need to wear a specific type of clothes? Are jeans with a shirt okay? Jeans with sweater okay? Is it smart casual ok?

ReputationRep:
    Where I did mine jeans were a big no if you wanted the headteacher to like you. Wear black trousers if you are male for sure, with a shirt would be fine, maybe a jumper if it is fairly smart. If female you can wear skirts/dresses instead of trousers as long as they are a suitable length. Definitely black trousers/similar for men. No jeans unless you are specifically told you can wear them - like at my school I was told we could wear them for trips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Hi there, I am going to start my school volunteering soon, do I need to wear a specific type of clothes? Are jeans with a shirt okay? Jeans with sweater okay? Is it smart casual ok?
    I wouldn't wear jeans. Trousers and shirt or something. I wore trousers and blouse, or a smart looking dress. There was a male work exp there who was wearing a shirt and tie plus trousers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckarr)
    Hi!

I'm applying for Secondary PGCE in History - in the middle of writing my personal statement! So stressful.

I currently work as a TA in a secondary school which is providing loads of useful experience. I am wanting to get onto a course at York Uni where there are only 12 places, so competitive I am unsure if being a TA is even enough experience, but I'm not sure what else to do???

The other Uni's I've been looking at are Leeds and Hull - anyone else applying for History PGCE?

Loving this forum - loads of great advice!
    I am applying for Post-Grad History PGCE, in Cardiff Met though. The amount of places sounds about right (15 in Cardiff Met) and it's supposed to be very competitive. My understanding is that they have circa 150 applications for the 15 places. I am not going to bother worrying about that, you can only do the best application possible and hope it's good enough. I have however already accepted that the numbers involved make it statistically difficult to get on the course, so don't throw all your eggs in one basket and just worry about doing all that you can to stand out. I have done 16 days school experience in a secondary history environment - but the fact is that I work full time and used all my holiday days to make this happen, so hoping it shows my commitment. We shall see - best of luck to you all.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys - another thing on UCAS. Basically I am pretty much certain to only apply for one course at one Uni (there are only two providers of the course in Wales), so I literally just fill out the application, give the reference details and await a response? I know people are talking about how the choices has changed, but I assume this would not affect me given if I am going to only apply for one uni? Secondly, there is the potential for me to apply for two universities. It wouldn't be beyond me to go to Swansea rather than Cardiff, but it's not ideal, so would I just be better served applying for one? What I wouldn't want to do is in anyway jeopardise my chances of getting into Cardiff met, so I was nervous reading about the choices system changing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcusian)
    Hi Guys - another thing on UCAS. Basically I am pretty much certain to only apply for one course at one Uni (there are only two providers of the course in Wales), so I literally just fill out the application, give the reference details and await a response? I know people are talking about how the choices has changed, but I assume this would not affect me given if I am going to only apply for one uni? Secondly, there is the potential for me to apply for two universities. It wouldn't be beyond me to go to Swansea rather than Cardiff, but it's not ideal, so would I just be better served applying for one? What I wouldn't want to do is in anyway jeopardise my chances of getting into Cardiff met, so I was nervous reading about the choices system changing.
    Applying for more than one place won't jeapordise your chances of getting an interview to either of them... I believe it will work like undergrad and they won't know if you've applied to more than one. There is a possibility you will have to prepare for two interviews at once, and also a chance you will get two offers and have to make a choice quite quickly.

I personally would go for just the one, the place where your heart is. But it depends on how MUCH you like it. Imagine if you didn't get in, which is statistically likely; would you be gutted that you didn't get in there and wanting to try again next year, or would you be more upset that you aren't training this year and wishing you could go somewhere else?

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah some good advice there - the main thing is that my first choice is close enough to get rid of my car, and the school placements include schools on my doorstep. It also operates the one day in uni/four days in school system, my second choice (I believe) does it in blocks, which isn't really helpful as travelling 100 miles round trip for weeks on end will be hard.
    To be fair, I am comfortable (well I am not naïve to not accept it's statistically likely) not getting in this year as it's very competitive and my first time applying, it also means another year of saving, which would be no bad thing. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseyElla)
    Hey, I am going to be applying for Reading
    Great! Me too.

I went to a general teacher training get together yesterday at the uni, approx 100 places for approx 700 applications - I didn't realise it was going to be so tough .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    Great! Me too.

I went to a general teacher training get together yesterday at the uni, approx 100 places for approx 700 applications - I didn't realise it was going to be so tough .
    Awesome Ouch! It is a very popular uni though! Good luck to us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcusian)
    Yeah some good advice there - the main thing is that my first choice is close enough to get rid of my car, and the school placements include schools on my doorstep. It also operates the one day in uni/four days in school system, my second choice (I believe) does it in blocks, which isn't really helpful as travelling 100 miles round trip for weeks on end will be hard.
    To be fair, I am comfortable (well I am not naïve to not accept it's statistically likely) not getting in this year as it's very competitive and my first time applying, it also means another year of saving, which would be no bad thing. Thanks.
    Just pointing out, just because they have placements near you does not mean you'll get them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    Great! Me too.

It is tough but there are two things to bear in mind:

-----Some people will fall at simple hurdles. Making applications to multiple age ranges. SPAG mistakes in their PS. Not having the minimum grades or experience. Not talking about their experience in their PS. So those people will make up a proportion of the 700. Then there are those who make similar simple mistakes at interview - wearing inappropriate clothing, not following instructions sent beforehand etc.

-----Not getting in one year doesn't mean the course/uni/career is not for you. It just means the uni decided you need to get more experience/maturity/skills etc for a little while and try again

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I'm having a slight problem with the references for my application.

Basically, I have worked in a nursery for years and have since moved on to a primary school. I feel these two could provide me with much better references than a university lecturer could. Even though we had tutorials etc, I feel like they don't have enough personal knowledge of me to give me a really good reference. Would you maybe suggest contacting the unis I'm going to apply to directly?

Thanks xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiebath12)

Basically, I have worked in a nursery for years and have since moved on to a primary school. I feel these two could provide me with much better references than a university lecturer could. Even though we had tutorials etc, I feel like they don't have enough personal knowledge of me to give me a really good reference. Would you maybe suggest contacting the unis I'm going to apply to directly?

Thanks xxx
    We have to have two references so an academic and personal reference should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiebath12)

Thanks xxx
    In addition to what alabelle said above, one of the references has to be academic if you graduated within the last 5 years. This reference is not about knowing you (that's what the other one is for). It's about showing you have the academic skills needed to cope with a PGCE, so the main thing is that they have access to your grades. Hopefully they can also comment on your commitment through e.g. attendance, participation etc.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    It is tough but there are two things to bear in mind:

-----Some people will fall at simple hurdles. Making applications to multiple age ranges. SPAG mistakes in their PS. Not having the minimum grades or experience. Not talking about their experience in their PS. So those people will make up a proportion of the 700. Then there are those who make similar simple mistakes at interview - wearing inappropriate clothing, not following instructions sent beforehand etc.

-----Not getting in one year doesn't mean the course/uni/career is not for you. It just means the uni decided you need to get more experience/maturity/skills etc for a little while and try again

xxx
    Aw thank you, how lovely of you to reply with such a lifting comment.

You are right though, and all I can do is give it my best shot (like all of us). This is what I want to do so if it takes longer than 1 year then it wasn't meant to be this year.

Positive thinking people, it counts for a lot

Thanks again, and good luck for your future. x

ReputationRep:
    Can you use slight humour in your personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And can quotation marks be used? Would it seem too informal to quote something my dad used to say to me as a child..it is defo relevant to education

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you and the rest of you do during class experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you and the rest of you do during class experience?
    What, you mean during the actual class? Most teachers have just let me sit at the back and observe, then I ask if I can take notes which is always fine. Sometimes I walk round the class and help or talk to the students about what work they're doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    Can you use slight humour in your personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Fabay)
    And can quotation marks be used? Would it seem too informal to quote something my dad used to say to me as a child..it is defo relevant to education

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It depends on the quote but in principle it's fine. Just remember words are limited so make the most of them!

For humour I'd steer clear for now, you never know what the sense of humour will be of the person reading. Don't get me wrong, a gsoh is important as a teacher! But the characters in your PS are so valuable I'd avoid it there, and be very careful with it at interview.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.