Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAD Phil)
    Both!

The idea of skewness only really makes unequivocal sense for "nice" distributions. Various different ways of measuring skewness have been developed which will broadly agree for such nice distributions, but when you apply them to distributions which aren't particularly nice, they often don't agree.

I had some fun once creating a spreadsheet that would create a new set of random data each time you pressed a particular key, It would then produce a histogram, box-plot etc, and would calculate whether the data was positively skewed several different ways - comparing mean with median, median with mode, mode with mean, Q3 - Q2 with Q2 - Q1, and Q4 - Q3 with Q1 - Q0. My students were amazed how rare it was for all 5 tests to agree about whether the data was positively or negatively skewed.
    So S1 is designed to be straightforward. So the examined will just ignore the positive and negative words. But it was a bad idea.. could have easily confused a student and ruined his day.

I wanted to ace this exam but unfortunately went pretty late and skewed it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Xx4L3x)
    In Core 2 for trapezium rule when it says " 6 intervals" does that mean 6 ordinates?
    No 7. Normally says strips doesn't it. I am fairly sure on every current spec they have given the table. However, I can see one coming up without a table sooner it later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If i did the right method for the standard deviation and mean , but I got the wrong answer how many marks would I get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    No 7. Normally says strips doesn't it. I am fairly sure on every current spec they have given the table. However, I can see one coming up without a table sooner it later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Arsey, have you got my quote about uploading C4 Notes?
    I'm really struggling with C4 Vectors and application bit of Differentiation, so I would really appreciate your help please. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I got the whole of question 2 wrong because of such careless mistakes. I got 11 as my interquatile range making my whole question wrong. what do you guys reckon 50/75 or 55/75 is? a C maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Thanks for putting up the answers! I messed up this paper so badly, most likely to scrape a C or a high D, but i think got 85% in C1, so what do you think i need to ge in C2, to come out with an A overall??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SILHAM)
    If i did the right method for the standard deviation and mean , but I got the wrong answer how many marks would I get?
    If its just due to calculator error then you should lose the accuracy mark which is just one mark for each, which is not that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoldenRatio)
    i drew three circles obviously with wrong values do you think i will get a 1 mark
    I expect three nonintersecting circles for F, H and C would get a mark, yes. It shows that you have understood one way of showing that sets are disjoint on (what Edexcel calls) a Venn diagram.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Have you seen the video of him sitting while a sculptor makes a bust of him, pigtail and all?
    I was blissful in my ignorance of this artifact.

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAqa12345)
    Hey Thanks for putting up the answers! I messed up this paper so badly, most likely to scrape a C or a high D, but i think got 85% in C1, so what do you think i need to ge in C2, to come out with an A overall??
    About 240 ums to get an A out of 300

C1- 85 ums
    S1-60 ums ( bang on a C)
    C2-240-(85+60)= 95 ums

95 ums in C2 for an A in AS-Level Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eviey)
    About 240 ums to get an A out of 300

C1- 85 ums
    S1-60 ums ( bang on a C)
    C2-240-(85+60)= 95 ums

95 ums in C2 for an A in AS-Level Maths
    Thanks for replying back! Okay! Ive got to smash the C2 paper now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Is Graham a revered and legendary character in Edexcel A Level threads? I've met him. Can I claim a prize?
    Can I have one too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoldenRatio)
    i drew three circles obviously with wrong values do you think i will get a 1 mark
    Generally, you will be awarded 1 (method) mark for "any" Venn diagram, any other marks would depend on any further working/notation.

ReputationRep:
    For question 1 I did do it to 3sf but using standard form, is that ok in stats?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, would i lose any marks for parts 4a and 4b if i used 100.5 as the position of the median instead of leaving it as 100 and the same for the upper quartile but i still got the right answers of 24.2 and 9.29 and 22.7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heizenburg)
    For 3 (b) is your answer definitely correct?

P([F n W]') means an employee who isn't full time and doesn't walk. So shouldn't it be 75+50 = 125/200?
    That's what I did

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicalMaureen)
    I got the whole of question 2 wrong because of such careless mistakes. I got 11 as my interquatile range making my whole question wrong. what do you guys reckon 50/75 or 55/75 is? a C maybe?
    A high c / low b

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid that's very unlikely to be enough for full marks, because it doesn't show that {F, H, C} is a partition, i.e. that the three sets do not overlap, but together make up all the space.

You need to either draw those three sets so that they take up the whole of the rectangle, or explicitly show that there is nothing outside them by putting in the two zeros. (I much prefer the former option, because the later is inconsistent; it shows some empty areas of the diagram are empty by making them non-existent, and others by labelling them as empty.)
    ive done exactly the same diagram as Arsey has done pretty much , but i think i included a zero in the Bus circle but in the rest of the sample space ( rest of the box ) i think i left it blank rather than 0 , so maybe 3/4 for that ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    If you were on about putting in zero in the empty regions, then I doubt that matters. If you meant something else then I didn't read it properly.
    u mean if i didn't put zeros it is okay ?

ReputationRep:
    Wow I thought I did better than I actually did on this paper! Hopefully I just scrapped an E! But I probably failed. Looks like I'm definitely not doing maths next year

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 2, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.