Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukip72)
    Theresa May would be my pick for next Tory leader. I'm just hoping it's not Osborne, probably my most hated Tory after Ken Clarke.
    Wouldn't you want someone unelectable to try and split the Tory vote and gain more for UKIP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukip72)
    Theresa May would be my pick for next Tory leader. I'm just hoping it's not Osborne, probably my most hated Tory after Ken Clarke.
    Let's hope that Cameron and Osborne don't have an 'agreement' just like Blair and Brown did or didn't have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Let's hope that Cameron and Osborne don't have an 'agreement' just like Blair and Brown did or didn't have
    Boris! Boris! Boris! Boris!

>_>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    Wouldn't you want someone unelectable to try and split the Tory vote and gain more for UKIP?
    Without a PR electoral system, is doesn't look like UKIP are going to get very far in 2015, no matter how high the vote share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    At least Cameron and Osborne might be on the same wavelength as to when Osborne takes over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    Well, he doesn't appeal to the country. Hence why he was unable to win an outright majority in 2010.
    It's truer to say that he did not appeal to the North East, Scotland or Wales. I'd have to check the figures again but i think we got a small majority in England which was destroyed by the net gain of 6 in the regions mentioned (primarily where Labour and lefty nationalists won significant proportions of seats).

(Original post by Qwertish)
    No, he doesn't :/. Neither does Ed, or Clegg, or whoever UKIP have. The entire Government cabinet are a bunch of idiots - especially Gove, and the Shadow Cabinet simply don't seem to have any ideas besides "the Government is bad".

It's a mess
    I think that Hague is probably the best person in the cabinet largely because he's one of the few that appears to be competent (but then he did get to handpick his role since Cameron wanted him in the Shadow Cabinet at the time) and he's also experienced and adaptable with experience. Gove and May have impressed me in superficial ways but their policies have been horribly implemented and IDS should probably be sacked for the lack of skill he's shown in the implementation of his policies (a lot of which i agree with in principle). There's certainly prospective leader though, Boris even if he were in parliament would say anything for a vote, Hague already lost, Gove would pander to Ukip more than Cameron is forced to and May would destroy us in an election campaign.

(Original post by Qwertish)
    Clearly they both seem to have some kind of personal stake in this matter... I mean, I was upset at the result, but really... Did you hear what Gove was reportedly shouting at the Tory rebels?
    Being fair to Gove in this case he's probably right. There was a feature on the Daily Politcs before the summer showing that some Tory MP's had voted against the government over 60 times (presumably this includes amendments ect...). There is a small group of people like Baron and Bone who want Cameron gone and with a larger group of MP's who have nothing to lose they've collectively fought him at every turn and sadly Cameron lacks the resolve to ever make an example of them.

Let's remember that Major went into the 97 election with high growth, falling unemployment, low inflation and not too bad crime rates. He lost so badly because (among other factors) the party was perceived as weak and divided, ring any bells. Not a good omen for this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    It's truer to say that he did not appeal to the North East, Scotland or Wales. I'd have to check the figures again but i think we got a small majority in England which was destroyed by the net gain of 6 in the regions mentioned (primarily where Labour and lefty nationalists won significant proportions of seats).
    Yes, had the election been contested just in England, Cameron would have a majority of 63.

ReputationRep:

I think that Hague is probably the best person in the cabinet largely because he's one of the few that appears to be competent (but then he did get to handpick his role since Cameron wanted him in the Shadow Cabinet at the time) and he's also experienced and adaptable with experience. Gove and May have impressed me in superficial ways but their policies have been horribly implemented and IDS should probably be sacked for the lack of skill he's shown in the implementation of his policies (a lot of which i agree with in principle). There's certainly prospective leader though, Boris even if he were in parliament would say anything for a vote, Hague already lost, Gove would pander to Ukip more than Cameron is forced to and May would destroy us in an election campaign.

Being fair to Gove in this case he's probably right. There was a feature on the Daily Politcs before the summer showing that some Tory MP's had voted against the government over 60 times (presumably this includes amendments ect...). There is a small group of people like Baron and Bone who want Cameron gone and with a larger group of MP's who have nothing to lose they've collectively fought him at every turn and sadly Cameron lacks the resolve to ever make an example of them.

Let's remember that Major went into the 97 election with high growth, falling unemployment, low inflation and not too bad crime rates. He lost so badly because (among other factors) the party was perceived as weak and divided, ring any bells. Not a good omen for this year.
    Any old stupid Tory and his dog will probably appeal to the South more than a Labour leader unless it's someone like Blair - it's a bit of a given. If he wants to win, he's going to have to do much better than last time. And who really thinks he can? It was all there for an easy grab in 2010.

ReputationRep:
    Hague is a career politician, with little to no experience in the real world. He's been tailored to appear to be competent - whether he is or isn't is a different matter.

As foreign secretary, I struggle to think of what he has achieved. We've now got Spain making a mockery of us and he's done very little. He's weak and conciliatory, a reminder of Chamberlain's weakness and frankly he doesn't appear able to make a decisive intervention without risking his job, and with all politicians you have to wonder if they're in it for themselves or for the country. Career politicians it is most likely the former.

Ring any bells, mister you're calling and disputing with out your own party in public on party policies, DING DONG.

ReputationRep:
    Any old stupid Tory and his dog will probably appeal to the South more than a Labour leader unless it's someone like Blair - it's a bit of a given. If he wants to win, he's going to have to do much better than last time. And who really thinks he can? It was all there for an easy grab in 2010.
    Oh i don't think he can win, the best case scenario is for a Tory minority but the point is that he did make significant gains in most areas of England (even breached 30% in Yorkshire and Humber).

It's a sad reality but the party has lost its way and does not know how to appeal to anybody but its core voter base. While we can never win in areas like the North East, Scotland or Wales the fact that we failed to even reach 30% (which would have given us a handful more seats) is pretty damning. To win 100+ majorities again we need to be an inclusive party that appeals to the young, aspirational professionals and upper working classes (C2/B voters) so that we can make significant progress in large aspirational cities like Manchester, Edinburgh or Leeds. Instead however we have a party which is crapping itself about Ukip because it can't see beyond the rural shires and panders to pensioners (internet censorship, lack of support for gay marriage, banging on about Europe ect..), none of which do it any favours with the voters we need to target who largely want a fairly liberal, economically conservative government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    Hague is a career politician, with little to no experience in the real world. He's been tailored to appear to be competent - whether he is or isn't is a different matter.

As foreign secretary, I struggle to think of what he has achieved. We've now got Spain making a mockery of us and he's done very little. He's weak and conciliatory, a reminder of Chamberlain's weakness and frankly he doesn't appear able to make a decisive intervention without risking his job, and with all politicians you have to wonder if they're in it for themselves or for the country. Career politicians it is most likely the former.

Ring any bells, mister you're calling and disputing with out your own party in public on party policies, DING DONG.
    Fair enough. Perhaps its just the way he comes across then but i think he's made all the right moves over Libya and Syria though i do agree, he was earning huge sums before he went back to the shadow cabinet.

Ha, yeah but i have the luxury of being on an online forum where my decisions have no real consequences.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. Perhaps its just the way he comes across then but i think he's made all the right moves over Libya and Syria though i do agree, he was earning huge sums before he went back to the shadow cabinet.

Ha, yeah but i have the luxury of being on an online forum where my decisions have no real consequences.
    Heh yeah, although us Tories are Tories and as a party we've always had and always will have a diverse range of views, so whether it's student politics or real politics the same dynamics take place and it's always interesting how the dynamic can spill outside the party - the impression of a united party is always the most important thing I think as like you say that perception of being weak and divided doesn't help things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)

One wonders what the great Lady would have done about about Gibraltar :heart:

ReputationRep:
    Damn. I just wasted a day playing around with my Desktop on my Laptop... Damn you post your desktop thread!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hmph.

ReputationRep:
    Seamus Heaney RIP. Hope his work is studied for GCSE English Literature as one of the poets selected. Many children will not know about rural life in the last century which some of his poems celebrate.

ReputationRep:
    I don't about May really. She did impress me with her stance on Abu Qatada, but I haven't really seen much else from the Home Office to be honest. Gove. Well. He's just an idiot. Everything he does pisses me off. I saw him in Westminister once (by which I mean he walked into me), and overheard him chatting about education reform. It ruined my day.

True. The ultimate problem is that I think the leadership is attempting to move the party forward, but most of the MPs still think that the only people who vote for the Tories are our grandparents, and are pandering to their vote, rather than listening to what the electorate is saying.

ReputationRep:
    Potentially of interest to anyone still in education tat wants a job in politics one day.

http://www.w4mpjobs.org/JobDetails.aspx?jobid=41881

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any suggestions for politics/IR related topics that I could do for my A2 History coursework? I am thinking of possibly doing something on 20th century British politics, although I'm not sure at the moment. Anything to do with politics/IR stuff would be of interest

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any suggestions for politics/IR related topics that I could do for my A2 History coursework? I am thinking of possibly doing something on 20th century British politics, although I'm not sure at the moment. Anything to do with politics/IR stuff would be of interest
    We did extension of the Franchise in Britain if that's any good? Half on womens voting rights and fights from roughly 1900 to say 1930 and the rest on the various reform acts that created a modern voting system from the 19th C.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.