Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Oops! Just looked at their last activity :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hudl)
    I didn't really revise for general studies, but people do revise for it...by looking at some previous essay questions and seeing what the marks are awarded for is enough revision for general studies. I didnt really do that either last year tbh. We have one lessons a week in general studies but its so unrelated to the exam, discussing about art etc
    Only 42-49 marks for an A grade such low boundaries. Plus the pre lease case study makes it way easier

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconuthead--)
    Only 42-49 marks for an A grade such low boundaries. Plus the pre lease case study makes it way easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What is a pre lease case study?

ReputationRep:
    I went from a D in English Lit to an A*. I did no revision either time (even for my AS resit) so I must have got lucky somehow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hudl)
    What is a pre lease case study?
    It's for AQA A . What board did you do? *pre release case study-soures

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank1996)
    I went from a D in English Lit to an A*. I did no revision either time (even for my AS resit) so I must have got lucky somehow
    Did you have coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you have coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, in A2. It counted for 25% of the total mark, and I got full marks. That must have helped, no? Still, I got 94% overall, so I'm pretty pleased with myself.

ReputationRep:
    It's for AQA A . What board did you do? *pre release case study-soures

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ohh thats a shame, I am OCR, could you link me to the pre release case studies and do you know of any OCR resources?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hudl)
    Ohh thats a shame, I am OCR, could you link me to the pre release case studies and do you know of any OCR resources?
    Ocr may not have the pre released case study for unit 4. But, Aqa a exam board does-it's the easiest board for general studies

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyianna'Tamekaa.)
    Hi, I'm currently in A2, studying Psychology, Sociology & History. My AS results were AABC which I found was good but also mediocre because I didn't like C's but anyway the C was in English which I hated so I dropped that quick smart (ASAP) & was left with AAB. I found that quiet decent for AS as everyone in my year done so bad. My problem is this year, I'm having difficulty applying even a fraction of the effort applied in AS. For example, in AS, I could smash 2/3 hours a day easy in terms of revision. This year, I literally haven't done any revision & I'm falling behind. Not to mention this year is ten times harder than AS, at least in psychology. If anyone studies any of those subjects, would you mind helping me out on some revision techniques, notes or revision guides. Anything that you think might make life easier.
    Hey! I am currently doing A2 sociology and would recommend sitting down and basically just highlighting all the important sociologists and researches that should be included in your question. Make sure you understand all the major perspectives (Marxism, functionalism, etc...) really well for each topic. It's worthwhile going through mark schemes and actually noting down the sociologists and theories they have mentioned for specific questions. Other than that good luck and I really hope you do well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank1996)
    Did you complete some additional reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackstah)
    Did you complete some additional reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One of the plays I'd done for AS wasn't available the next year, so I read another one about 6 months before the exam in my own time. Otherwise, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    AAC at AS.
    A*A*AA got me into LSE yesterday.
    I can't say that I worked hard.
    Can I ask how you went from a C to an A.
    I need to do this to get into my firm University choice.

Congratulations

ReputationRep:
    I have failed over and over and over again.... but that is why i succeed the most

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyNameIsRay)
    Turned BBB into AAB. not a huge leap I guess
    Did you do it with re-sits? I got ABB at as and am only retaking one chemistry AS unit 2 and I need AAB for my offer. Unfortunately, didn't resit one of my biology AS units to achieve a higher grade

ReputationRep:
    What degree are you doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibby1997)
    Is it possible to turn a D grade into an A grade in maths with one resit? Anyone previously tried it?
    Defo possible I got E/D in maths and resat in my mocks i got A like (90%)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A girl who is a year older went from a D to an A* in history. Did not know her personally but news just gets round when something like that happens.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully i can be saying the same things about improving grades this August coming.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, can I just ask one question? Thanks... and no, that wasn't it...

I have just finished my AS Levels and I am hoping for 4 As, but I'm very worried that I will get AAAB/AABB, who knows, maybe lower, I don't know... the exams weren't that bad, I think on the whole they went sort of well, but so many silly errors when I look back on it.
    Anyway, I am hoping to apply to Oxford later this year, so I'll need to be predicted A*AA, do you think the school would predict me that if I got the AS grades mentioned? And is applying with a B at AS to Oxbridge/other great Universities a hindrance?

Thank you! (I am very content with my GCSEs, but I don't think I can just live off them forever...)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.