The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chukkeigh
True that.

Any other Somali peeps in your class?

No, most are asian with some white students me and a sudanese guy are the only chocolate coloured peeps in there:s-smilie:
Original post by Geronimo!
i havent started it yet lol, but hopefully gonna go to somalia for a while and maybe get a job. mum wants me to get dhagancelis and all that hahaha. she still sees somalia like it was in the 70s/80s. kinda would've liked to see how it was back then you know. might get a job also. what did you do on your gap year?

ohh nice. i did mainly volunteer work (I worked at a mental health centre for 3 months and also did some volunteer work at islam channel.). I also worked with a woman who had personality disorder. I went dubai too which I loved. Lately, I haven't been doing much, just chilling until uni begins :biggrin:
Original post by Secretnerd123
I make the BEST lasange gurll. its honestly so easy to make! i very recently learnt how make pasta and rice with chicken/fish. I need to learn canjeero and malawax and look for other recipes too.

btw did you start your practical lessons? I remember you passing your theory test in like winter

Make me sommmeeee haha.

No I have not sadly. I am gonna start soon insaAllah tho, but honestly I am not too fussed about it. I will just ride the bus all day erryyy day or walk it. But Hooyo wants me to do it soon insaAllah.

How about you?
Original post by Al-farhan
No, most are asian with some white students me and a sudanese guy are the only chocolate coloured peeps in there:s-smilie:

Damn. That is harsh. I am the only Somali girl in my class but there are a handful of Somali guys tho.
Original post by Al-farhan
The soc is very active today, chuks inject the soc with some energy! :lol:

Thank ya, thank ya.
ohh nice. i did mainly volunteer work (I worked at a mental health centre for 3 months and also did some volunteer work at islam channel.). I also worked with a woman who had personality disorder. I went dubai too which I loved. Lately, I haven't been doing much, just chilling until uni begins :biggrin:

Gurllll you went Dubai?? When? How come I didn't know about this. Ya have family ova there? I am so jellyyyyy!! MasaAllah!! TabarakaAllah tho!!

How did ya find it? What did ya do? Details!

Sorry but Dubai makes me feel some typa way.
Make me sommmeeee haha.

No I have not sadly. I am gonna start soon insaAllah tho, but honestly I am not too fussed about it. I will just ride the bus all day erryyy day or walk it. But Hooyo wants me to do it soon insaAllah.

You're better off on foot once you get a car and start driving you'd never go back on a bus.
Haven't set a foot on a bus for over 2 years, either train car or taxi:frown:
Make me sommmeeee haha.

How about you?

will your theory certificate ever expire?

nope, I might start in 2nd year. not too bothered either. It will be much faster to go uni by train and I just take buses everywhere else so its not necessary. my 18 yr old bro is into it though and hoyo promised him a car if he passes his practical this year lol

nope, I might start in 2nd year. not too bothered either. It will be much faster to go uni by train and I just take buses everywhere else so its not necessary. my 18 yr old bro is into it though and hoyo promised him a car if he passes his practical this year lol

Lol
Boys and cars ehh.
Gurllll you went Dubai?? When? How come I didn't know about this. Ya have family ova there? I am so jellyyyyy!! MasaAllah!! TabarakaAllah tho!!

How did ya find it? What did ya do? Details!

Sorry but Dubai makes me feel some typa way.

yesss I went towards the end of march till like mid April (my mum had to lie to the teachers to get time off my 2 sisters the week before Easter hols :wink: ) so almost a month. it was absolutely AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG and it is totally worth the hype. nope we don't have family there so we stayed at a somali owned hotel (not the jubbah one they advertise constantly on universal tv lmao). i dont know if you know this but I banned myself for like 3 months on tsr which is why i never posted on here haha

we went at a good time so the weather was really nice. it gets extremely hot around this time i hear. me and my family went almost everywhere. we stayed right near the gold souk and the places they sell abayahs (abayas are very cheap too) so it was nice. I'm so glad we stayed in that area and not the centre because I find that they've 'westernized' it abit too much. the area we stayed had masjids everywhere and nothing could beat hearing the beautiful adhan go off for every salah.

and don't get me started on the beach girl!!!! they have days when only women and kids can go to the main beach so we just chilled out there. I've never seen a proper beach irl before so you can imagine how excited I was :biggrin: they even have women only musems :O

the one thing I didn't like is that the men there are such pervs. I got asked for my number 2 times in that period and some of the men have no respect. they will stare at every woman who goes past and so its crucial to never go anywhere alone or you'll be made to feel quite uncomfortable lol. my family hopes to go again in december inshaAllah

shall i post some pics on here for you to see? :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
yesss I went towards the end of march till like mid April (my mum had to lie to the teachers to get time off my 2 sisters the week before Easter hols :wink: ) so almost a month. it was absolutely AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG and it is totally worth the hype. nope we don't have family there so we stayed at a somali owned hotel (not the jubbah one they advertise constantly on universal tv lmao). i dont know if you know this but I banned myself for like 3 months on tsr which is why i never posted on here haha

we went at a good time so the weather was really nice. it gets extremely hot around this time i hear. me and my family went almost everywhere. we stayed right near the gold souk and the places they sell abayahs (abayas are very cheap too) so it was nice. I'm so glad we stayed in that area and not the centre because I find that they've 'westernized' it abit too much. the area we stayed had masjids everywhere and nothing could beat hearing the beautiful adhan go off for every salah.

and don't get me started on the beach girl!!!! they have days when only women and kids can go to the main beach so we just chilled out there. I've never seen a proper beach irl before so you can imagine how excited I was :biggrin: they even have women only musems :O

the one thing I didn't like is that the men there are such pervs. I got asked for my number 2 times in that period and some of the men have no respect. they will stare at every woman who goes past and so its crucial to never go anywhere alone or you'll be made to feel quite uncomfortable lol. my family hopes to go again in december inshaAllah

shall i post some pics on here for you to see? :biggrin:

That sounds amazing boo. Plzzzz upload picsss!! Preferable of ypir face :wink: hahaha just kidding. Your mum sounds like a G! Hahaha. Gurrrrl when I went Egypt it was the first time I saw a beach too, so I know how ya feel hahaha. But only women and kids days, like damn. You can chill there with no scarf on like damn, make sure your roots get some well deserved vitamin D. I had to go inside the ocean with my abaya on, the struggle hahahaha. Me not care boo, me was gonna chill like craycray.

Yeah I knew you banned yourself but didnt know the reason behind. There are Somali hotels ova there??? Like damn. Did the make baasto and bariis tho? If so, they are the man! Take me with you tho? Pretty please? Haha. InsaAllah you will go again! Loads of people from my city have gone about now, not gonna lie if I went there I would have gotton a little bit craycray and hit all the touristeey spots so I feel ya home gurl.

Pretty please upload pics sis :smile:
That sounds amazing boo. Plzzzz upload picsss!! Preferable of ypir face :wink: hahaha just kidding. Your mum sounds like a G! Hahaha. Gurrrrl when I went Egypt it was the first time I saw a beach too, so I know how ya feel hahaha. But only women and kids days, like damn. You can chill there with no scarf on like damn, make sure your roots get some well deserved vitamin D. I had to go inside the ocean with my abaya on, the struggle hahahaha. Me not care boo, me was gonna chill like craycray.

Yeah I knew you banned yourself but didnt know the reason behind. There are Somali hotels ova there??? Like damn. Did the make baasto and bariis tho? If so, they are the man! Take me with you tho? Pretty please? Haha. InsaAllah you will go again! Loads of people from my city have gone about now, not gonna lie if I went there I would have gotton a little bit craycray and hit all the touristeey spots so I feel ya home gurl.

Pretty please upload pics sis :smile:

PM me your number and i'll send you them on whatsapp. me and my fam are in some so dont feel comfortable uploading them on here lol :biggrin:

yeaah lol there are somali owned hotels there and theres a phone in every room so you can order bariis, baasto, suqaar and all that jazz!
(edited 9 years ago)
PM me your number and i'll send you them on whatsapp. me and my fam are in some so dont feel comfortable uploading them on here lol :biggrin:

yeaah lol there are somali owned hotels there and theres a phone in every room so you can order bariis, baasto, suqaar and all that jazz!

Hey girlie, I totally would wallahi if i had a smart phone but I don't at the minute so don't have whatsapp. I have those brickyy samsung phones we used to rock back in 2002. I am still rocking it at the minute. Dont have £££££ now to replace my broken iphone.

MasaAllah! Speaking of driving lessons, my dad randomly said to me this morning that he thinks it is about time I get some lessons. He is usually not that fussed about it. Buuut gurlll I tell ya, might book some lessons but first need to find a good instructor , preferably a guy so I can learn how to drive like a duuuuude. I mean, once I start I might aswell be pro ya know? And obvs I need to sort out the £££ cause don't wanna bother my folks for it insaAllah.

It is valid for two years boo.
Anyone else here agrees with the statement that veggie samboos or tuna samboos should be illegal and the only one we should all eat is hilib samboos.

My baby samboos. The halal illuminate food- I miss ya already.
Btw do any of you work and if so where?
Btw do any of you work and if so where?

Yes..

..in a building.
Hey girlie, I totally would wallahi if i had a smart phone but I don't at the minute so don't have whatsapp. I have those brickyy samsung phones we used to rock back in 2002. I am still rocking it at the minute. Dont have £££££ now to replace my broken iphone.

Ohhh its no probz. I'll just attach a few on here. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1406830056.153612.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1406830102.442899.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1406830132.199327.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1406830157.816404.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1406830189.933477.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1406830249.529763.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1406830280.618273.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1406830316.248946.jpg[ATTACH]306821[/ImageUploadedByStudent Room1406830395.851557.jpgATTACH]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Enjoy girl. There are hundreds more but these are the ones of some of the main attractions. Damn i miss dubai :frown: <3333

Posted from TSR Mobile
Enjoy girl. There are hundreds more but these are the ones of some of the main attractions. Damn i miss dubai :frown: <3333

Posted from TSR Mobile

I shall!!!

Original post by Abdul-Karim
Yes..

..in a building.

Soz meant Somali people, innit? No offence tho.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending