Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcrlawstudent)
    That sounds good to me. I agree with what TykeDragon said, people who say 'they're a perfectionist' aren't really giving a weakness at all, they're dressing up a strength as a weakness (from the mouths of recruiters).
    Thanks for your help I agree - best to be honest! Recruiters must receive thousands of applicants with the same "perfectionist"/"I work too hard" weaknesses. I think people are afraid of offering a real weakness because normally an application/interview is where you have to sell yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    The perfectionist answer is the worst response anyone can give to those type of answers anyway. It isn't a "strength" at all, it's a load of rubbish. With most "perfectionists" you can easily highlight where they haven't been perfect in the past or in their application.

Self awareness is a vital characteristic to being a lawyer. As long as you recognise what aren't your strengths but show how you compensate for this or how you are looking to improve on the areas that need developing, it doesn't really matter what the answers are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you I have also come across a lot of firms that state "honesty" as one of their core values/trainee requirements, so I like to demonstrate this through my answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I've never seen it on an application as it isn't a question I've posed. But in interviews I've asked similar questions. Answers have been things around not doing well in exams/assessments, struggling to understand topics they are studying, mistakes at work, not enjoying something, working in a team that was ineffective/getting on, even failing to get vac schemes/TCs.

It's not the example you have to focus on though, it's the story behind it. When have things not gone well and when have you had to work hard/take a different approach to ensure success. When have you shown determination to succeed in a time where on the face of it, you weren't going to. If you can't think of an example, I am not sure I can be much more help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Interviews for what kind of roles?

I am a paralegal at the moment, so I could definitely find a low point, though it will miniature. Do you think that matters at all?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swimmer)
    Interviews for what kind of roles?

I am a paralegal at the moment, so I could definitely find a low point, though it will miniature. Do you think that matters at all?
    Vacation schemes, TCs, when I recruited people for my team.

What's the example?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Vacation schemes, TCs, when I recruited people for my team.

What's the example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I private messaged you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I private messaged you.
    Responded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotMikeRoss)
    My efforts so far, mix of winter and summer vac schemes (I forget exactly which is which..!). I'm a final year non-lawyer:

Hogan Lovells - WG test --> Phone interview --> Final assessment day --> Rejection
    CMS Cameron McKenna - WG test done
    Jones Day - Interview --> Waiting for result
    HSF - Tests done, waiting on outcome
    Weil - Waiting
    Skadden - Waiting
    Cleary Gottlieb - They asked for my results transcript..don't know if that's good or bad
    Mishcon de Reya - Video interview --> Assessment day to come probably in the new year
    Travers Smith - Interview booked for in a few days time
    White and Case - Waiting
    DLA Piper - Waiting but they're not rolling so will be a while

If anyone has questions which I might be any help with feel free to ask
    I have a video interview with Mishcons and would be very grateful if you could let me know what type of questions they ask.

ReputationRep:
    PFO from Weil, first straight up rejection so far. Hopefully there aren't too many more of them to come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcrlawstudent)
    PFO from Weil, first straight up rejection so far. Hopefully there aren't too many more of them to come.
    Commiserations

May I ask when you applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    Commiserations

May I ask when you applied?
    Last Monday, I didn't think my application was that bad! :dontknow:

Oh well, I'm not too fussed about them anyway. It was more of an application for the sake of it.

Onwards and upwards!

ReputationRep:
    When answering questions which specifically ask to explain where you did good, how you managed a team etc, is it a good idea to refer back to the firm and say how the skills I learned would be of good use at the firm? Or is this just a waste of words?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    When answering questions which specifically ask to explain where you did good, how you managed a team etc, is it a good idea to refer back to the firm and say how the skills I learned would be of good use at the firm? Or is this just a waste of words?
    Just wasting words unless the question specifically asks you to apply to it how you would work as a lawyer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ashurst and Freshfields interview in January. Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated - will do the same for any who pm me after my interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Application been put on hold by Kirkland & Ellis, anyone knows what that means or also heard back from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maythelawbewithu)
    I have a video interview with Mishcons and would be very grateful if you could let me know what type of questions they ask.
    PMed you

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask when you applied and heard? Best of luck! .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotMikeRoss)
    Application been put on hold by Kirkland & Ellis, anyone knows what that means or also heard back from them?
    Same with me! I guessed that its not an instant rejection so they will just compare all the applications on hold after the deadline and decide who to invite to interview. I don't know if that's actually what it means though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrainingChopeful)
    Can I ask when you applied and heard? Best of luck! .
    Applied mid November, heard today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Applied mid November, heard today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how flexible firms tend to be when it comes to changing your preferred vac scheme dates?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.