Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifescomplexity)
    Yep English AS exams started second week of May-ish, and I was lucky enough to finish on the 20th! Just chilling now until we go back to sch on the 8th of June

Haha thanks, you too!! I'm glad I've found someone else applying for History on this thread, there's been no one so far!! It's weird :O good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, you'd think there'd be more on the thread? Mind you, I'm doubting whether I'll get the grades this year to apply (Higher Maths may have put paid to that...).

How did you feel your exams went?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Our students generally say that they had a go at some questions from past papers and asked if their teachers would give some feedback. You can find some past papers here:

http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prospect...tude-test.html

The important feature of the HAT is that is an Oxford-only test that is set and marked by members of the History Faculty (although not necessarily the Tutors who may end up interviewing you since marking is centrally organised). The marking is moderated to ensure consistency between markers.

Tip: ask your teachers nicely for feedback!
    Thank you haha, I'll start doing that after exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    Wow, this thread is so quiet in comparison to the Cambridge one :lol:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    More so when you strip out the discussions about why the Oxford thread is so much quieter than the Cambridge one!

As time honoured tradition dictates, it's time to answer some questions and get to know each other! This thread will be much more fun if you start chatting and spamming a little more....

1. If you don't mind saying, what is your real first name?
    2. What are your hobbies of the sort that you really can't put on the personal statement?
    3. Most surreal thing you have ever done?
    4. Any particularly eccentric academic interests (not "I love Earth Sciences". Or history, or maths. Things that aren't your subject.)
    5. Favourite Harry Potter character?
    6. Best thing to combine with peanut butter?
    7. Opinions on Gangnam Style?
    8. Who on the thread would you like to have children with?
    9. Tea or coffee?
    10. Favourite TSR smiley?
    11. How do you prove that the real numbers are uncountable? And why is this proof like skiing/Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged from Douglas Adams?

Answer as many or as few as you wish, but for goodness' sake start talking to each other.

ReputationRep:
    I'm most likely not applying to Oxford (Cambridge gal over here ) but I might as well answer some of these xD

1. If you don't mind saying, what is your real first name?
    My real (well, my preferred) first name is Suzy.

2. What are your hobbies of the sort that you really can't put on the personal statement?
    Hmmm. There's a lot of hobbies that I have that would seem weird to mention on my personal statement. I'm a casual dancer, in that I watch loads of choreographed dances on YouTube and then teach myself the choreography. I do a lot of walking and exploring, read quite a lot and I'm a serial TV watcher :lol: I also write a few movie reviews on my blog- or if they're not good enough to be published, just in my journal. And I listen to a lottttt of K-Pop- I spend a lot of time on it.

3. Most surreal thing you have ever done?
    Can't say I've really done anything surreal tbh :lol: I feel that my life is lacking in that respect xD

4. Any particularly eccentric academic interests (not "I love Earth Sciences". Or history, or maths. Things that aren't your subject.)
    Not eccentric, but I absolutely adore languages- I'd love to have enough time to learn a load of new languages. Summer plans maybe?

5. Favourite Harry Potter character?
    Probably Fred and George- they seem pretty chill and down to have a good time.

6. Best thing to combine with peanut butter?
    Nothing BECAUSE IT'S DISGUSTING

7. Opinions on Gangnam Style?
    Annoying because people assume that it's what all of K-Pop is like, which it really isn't. Soooo many better artists under YG- Try Bigbang or 2NE1

8. Who on the thread would you like to have children with?
    Nobody :lol: since I don't really know anybody on here xD

9. Tea or coffee?
    Neither. Hot beverages should be illegal. And yes, that includes hot chocolate.

10. Favourite TSR smiley?
    :lol: I over use it xD :lol:

11. How do you prove that the real numbers are uncountable? And why is this proof like skiing/Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged from Douglas Adams?

I'm not even going to attempt to word and explanation to that question :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    x .
    Do you mind if I steal some (or all) of your questions for the Cambridge thread? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply this year for entry in 2016!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnstrumentality)
    Has anyone done the BMAT? How hard it is?
    It's not too bad, people will tell you that you cant revise for it-that's a lie. Prepare hard and with a little bit of luck it will be fine One things for sure its about a billion times harder than the ukcat

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs: 5A*s 4As
    AS: Predicted AAAA in maths, biology, chemistry and history (dropping history to do an AS in further maths next year)

Thinking of applying for chemistry, do I have a realistic chance of making a competitive application?
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    Thank you haha, I'll start doing that after exams!
    I have an offer for history and I panicked so much about the HAT! All I really did was a couple of past papers and in hindsight there isn't a huge amount to worry about because I found the sources understandable and good to pick information out from. It's like any exam really - go in and stay focused on the questions and try to do your best good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelfthnight)
    I have an offer for history and I panicked so much about the HAT! All I really did was a couple of past papers and in hindsight there isn't a huge amount to worry about because I found the sources understandable and good to pick information out from. It's like any exam really - go in and stay focused on the questions and try to do your best good luck!
    Thank you!
    They also ask for one piece of written work at A2 level, what sort of thing should I be sending in? Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    They also ask for one piece of written work at A2 level, what sort of thing should I be sending in? Thanks again
    I just sent in a homework essay from my A2 course - we had only just started so I got an A rather than a top A* but they didn't seem to mind. I did it timed as well - 1 hour (you can put that on the form you send in with it.) As long as it is a piece which shows off your ability to put together some sort of essay, and one which you'd be comfortable talking about and expanding on at interview, it should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelfthnight)
    I just sent in a homework essay from my A2 course - we had only just started so I got an A rather than a top A* but they didn't seem to mind. I did it timed as well - 1 hour (you can put that on the form you send in with it.) As long as it is a piece which shows off your ability to put together some sort of essay, and one which you'd be comfortable talking about and expanding on at interview, it should be fine
    Thank you I was really worried about that! Well done for getting an offer btw

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I was really worried about that! Well done for getting an offer btw
    Thank you! Good luck throughout the process and if you have any more questions do just ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)

I am conducting a long term study which I hope will become the definitive work on semi-rigid celluloid underwater dynamics (SR-CUD)
    If this doesn't get you guys talking I don't know what will :lol: Would you care to expand?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamY)
    If this doesn't get you guys talking I don't know what will :lol: Would you care to expand?!
    Yes, well.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I've been looking for an Oxford applicants thread for ages! Hey everyone! :flower2::flower2:

GCSE grades: 9A*s in English Language, English Literature, French, Double Science (Chemistry, Physics, Biology) Mathematics, Music, Art, Latin and an A in Religious Studies (one mark off an A*, I'd never been so annoyed in my life!)
    A-Levels: English Literature, Religious Studies, French, Art
    Course: Law or English Language and Literature - I swing like a pendulum daily between each course, I just cannot decide! I'd find them both interesting.
    College: Possibly Balliol, although I'm not that fussed about which college I end up in!

ReputationRep:
    What made everybody pick Oxford over Cambridge?

My reasons were:
    - My dad lives in Oxford and I've always loved the city
    - I've been to Cambridge University 4/5 times and I just don't like it, the area is pretty but very dull and almost dreary
    - I want to study History & Politics and Cambridge only does single honours History or HSPS which is just too broad for me
    - After visiting the actual University I fell in love haha it's incredible!

ReputationRep:
    What made everybody pick Oxford over Cambridge?

My reasons were:
    - My dad lives in Oxford and I've always loved the city
    - I've been to Cambridge University 4/5 times and I just don't like it, the area is pretty but very dull and almost dreary
    - I want to study History & Politics and Cambridge only does single honours History or HSPS which is just too broad for me
    - After visiting the actual University I fell in love haha it's incredible!

Cambridge is ridiculously dead, and oxford is older

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoldOnTheCeiling)
    Cambridge is ridiculously dead, and oxford is older
    It is quite dead haha, is Oxford better for the course you want to do?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.