Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absorbaloff)
    Physiotherapy is only slightly less harder to get into than graduate medicine. Do you think you have the necessary experience to look like the perfect physio candidate, because if you do you most likely will look like a good medical candidate as well. If you do get into the physio programme, you'll work alongside a lot of doctors and that will probably frustrate you. And that GAMSAT is done by people from totally non science backgrounds, and if they can do it and get a place for medicine then so can you. There were people at my St George's interview who studied English or Economics many years ago but still got to the interview stage, so I don't think you should let the difficulty of getting into the course turn you off.

I understand how difficult it is to be in limbo, working minimum wage jobs and not feeling you're going anywhere. But I don't believe you should settle either. In a few years GEM may not exist and you might regret not have applying. I would say get experience in both area's to really make your mind up, but I don't think getting physiotherapy or medical work experience is the easiest thing in your part of the world. Can I also point out, I've met lots of physio's and OT's who have really struggled to get a foot into the NHS once they qualify, sometimes they have to work privately or in similarly related jobs in the fitness world or healthcare. Allied professional work really depends on how the job market is doing.
    I started working in a well known hospital where there are a lot of physio graduates doing assistant or admin roles. They are also reducing the number of physio staff in accordance with cost measures. Think wisely.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, on ucas..to apply for medicine..do I go on postgraduate apply?
    as I will leave with a degree (biomedical science), therefore I no longer apply through undergraduate way right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princess271)
    Hi, on ucas..to apply for medicine..do I go on postgraduate apply?
    as I will leave with a degree (biomedical science), therefore I no longer apply through undergraduate way right?
    GEM is still an undergraduate course, so you have to apply the usual way through UCAS, just make sure you select the 4 year courses, the course code is normally A101/A102 instead of A100 for 5 year medicine, but they're all listed in the same place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Going_To_California)
    GEM is still an undergraduate course, so you have to apply the usual way through UCAS, just make sure you select the 4 year courses, the course code is normally A101/A102 instead of A100 for 5 year medicine, but they're all listed in the same place.
    okay thanks, I am also going to apply for masters medical science in Newcastle, just in case I don't get into medicine.. would that be okay to apply the undergaduate way also? and are we not allowed to apply for the 5 year programme.

ReputationRep:
    okay thanks, I am also going to apply for masters medical science in Newcastle, just in case I don't get into medicine.. would that be okay to apply the undergaduate way also? and are we not allowed to apply for the 5 year programme.
    I'm not sure about the application for masters degrees, I think it may be done directly through universities?

You are allowed to apply for the 5 year courses, but there's no funding for tuition fees in years 1-4, so most people apply for GEM courses only, as the funding of a 5 year course is far from ideal.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know when our ucas application has to be sent of by?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Going_To_California)
    I'm not sure about the application for masters degrees, I think it may be done directly through universities?

You are allowed to apply for the 5 year courses, but there's no funding for tuition fees in years 1-4, so most people apply for GEM courses only, as the funding of a 5 year course is far from ideal.
    Hmm, I though we could apply for a bursary to pay for the tuition fees?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I though we could apply for a bursary to pay for the tuition fees?
    There are no bursaries for the 5 year course, only a maintenance loan. You could apply to charities etc., but the funding they could offer is nowhere near the region of £36k. I got an alternative offer from King's, having applied for the GEM course, for the 5 year course, so I explored some of the funding on offer, but it is pretty minimal unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    Just as an FYI, I'm starting a gem course in September with a classics degree, 6 months of St. John ambulance stuff and a week of shadowing consultants....hardly extensive but it's really more about what you get out of it than the time you've spent doing it.

Of course if you feel that you would enjoy Physio go ahead and do it, but it seems a bit odd to me to do Physio with a view to moving out of it into gem in a few years! Why not just go for gem now? Sit UKCAT and gamsat to give yourself the full 4 options and have a go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by am1992)
    I'm going in with a law degree (and a masters in international law, so technically med is my 3rd degree!) and no science background at all beyond GCSE biology! I just stuck to UKCAT and have started the pre-reading for med. now so I'm fairly up to scratch by September.

6 years in the Red Cross first aid and ambulance teams, bit of army medical contact (though I was infantry), HCA and shadowing are my background medical wise.

That said, if you're not 100% set on GEM it may not be the best option. At risk of sounding a bit of a pansy, medicine is generally a calling rather than a job choice in my view, especially for us mad 2nd/3rd degree lot! Depends whether its the lack of certainty at getting in that's putting you off or a lack of certainty as to whether it's the right career for you.

Appreciate that you don't want to apply forever but may as well apply once. If it doesn't work out then you can still go for physio - apply for it as your 5th choice on UCAS and send a separate PS; some unis let you do that.

Also, if you can afford a 3rd degree feel free to donate some money to the "let Alex eat" fund! As a Scot I don't get any student finance!
    Physiotherapy is only slightly less harder to get into than graduate medicine. Do you think you have the necessary experience to look like the perfect physio candidate, because if you do you most likely will look like a good medical candidate as well. If you do get into the physio programme, you'll work alongside a lot of doctors and that will probably frustrate you. And that GAMSAT is done by people from totally non science backgrounds, and if they can do it and get a place for medicine then so can you. There were people at my St George's interview who studied English or Economics many years ago but still got to the interview stage, so I don't think you should let the difficulty of getting into the course turn you off.

I understand how difficult it is to be in limbo, working minimum wage jobs and not feeling you're going anywhere. But I don't believe you should settle either. In a few years GEM may not exist and you might regret not have applying. I would say get experience in both area's to really make your mind up, but I don't think getting physiotherapy or medical work experience is the easiest thing in your part of the world. Can I also point out, I've met lots of physio's and OT's who have really struggled to get a foot into the NHS once they qualify, sometimes they have to work privately or in similarly related jobs in the fitness world or healthcare. Allied professional work really depends on how the job market is doing.
    (Original post by risser 5)
    I started working in a well known hospital where there are a lot of physio graduates doing assistant or admin roles. They are also reducing the number of physio staff in accordance with cost measures. Think wisely.
    Thanks for these responses. I want to do Medicine, I'm just really overwhelmed by it all at lately. I gave up my job back in January and re-located to my parents place so I could pursue GEM and focus on it for a whole year - since then I haven't been able to find relevant work or even work experience/voluntary work. I managed to secure 2 days in Physio but I had to travel back to my uni town for that.

I have a voluntary role in July but I don't have a start date/hours yet. I've tried everywhere and been really pro-active. GPs won't let me shadow because I'm not a current student, my local hospital advertises work exp but once you actually go through the application process it turns out to be just a 'taster day' (for school kids) because they've stopped work experience placements. I've applied to charity organisations and they have no current roles available and I've been applying on NHS jobs for Domestic roles and Band 2 jobs with no success at all (tried applying with and without my degree on the form).

I managed to get an interview at a care home last Monday, most of them stipulate an NVQ2 in care but for this one the advert stated ''NVQ2 in care desirable but not essential'' so I applied and was really happy to get the interview. The manager told me they had interviewed 2 other people with care experience and NVQ2/3 in care - so she was not willing to take me on. This is not the first time - I apply to such roles and for the ones I get interviews for they seemingly don't read my CV and then tell me what I already know at interview (that I don't have previous care work experience or NVQ2 in care) and basically waste my time. I've tried ringing up care homes regarding work and they all want previous experience and and NVQ2 in care. I've rang up all of the local care homes and they won't take on volunteers. I would actually try to get the NVQ2 but due to having a degree I can't get funding and I think you need to train on the job and without a job....well, you know the rest.

So I feel like I'm running in circles and getting nowhere. Without the work experience my application to GEM is worthless. I could have the best GAMSAT/UKCAT score and interview well, but without work experience I won't be taken seriously. So 2016 entry is looking less and less likely as the days/weeks pass. It's just so frustrating - no one will take me on because I don't have experience but I just need one chance to get that experience.

It's made me feel like I'm pursuing something totally beyond myself because if I can't get a part time role doing night work in a care home or cleaning wards as bank staff...then how can I even imagine myself being a doctor or getting into med school. This whole year has just torn apart my self belief and I'm finding it difficult to see how applying for GEM 2016 is really going to benefit me at all. I just really want my life back on track - I gave up everything this year to pursue something that is now totally eluding me and looking at my Plan B of Physio doesn't seem too promising now that I'm learning that jobs aren't plentiful. This wouldn't be so bad if I had a career to fall back on but I don't - I'm just left with min wage roles and living back at the 'rents place...seemingly indefinitely. I'm just starting to think Medicine is a silly pursuit...I tell people I want to be a Doctor whilst getting rejection updates for band 2 roles in the NHS. I feel like I'm deluding myself.

(As for whether I can afford a 3rd degree - I can't even afford my own rent right now so, no, I guess I was just being hopeful.)

I think I'm going to have to accept that I'm going to be in this for the long haul. I'll make a 2016 application, but I'm not going to kid myself about my chances. Hopefully 2016 will bring more opportunities for work/voluntary roles and my 2017 application will be at least marginally competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Thanks for these responses. I want to do Medicine, I'm just really overwhelmed by it all at lately. I gave up my job back in January and re-located to my parents place so I could pursue GEM and focus on it for a whole year - since then I haven't been able to find relevant work or even work experience/voluntary work. I managed to secure 2 days in Physio but I had to travel back to my uni town for that.

I have a voluntary role in July but I don't have a start date/hours yet. I've tried everywhere and been really pro-active. GPs won't let me shadow because I'm not a current student, my local hospital advertises work exp but once you actually go through the application process it turns out to be just a 'taster day' (for school kids) because they've stopped work experience placements. I've applied to charity organisations and they have no current roles available and I've been applying on NHS jobs for Domestic roles and Band 2 jobs with no success at all (tried applying with and without my degree on the form).

I managed to get an interview at a care home last Monday, most of them stipulate an NVQ2 in care but for this one the advert stated ''NVQ2 in care desirable but not essential'' so I applied and was really happy to get the interview. The manager told me they had interviewed 2 other people with care experience and NVQ2/3 in care - so she was not willing to take me on. This is not the first time - I apply to such roles and for the ones I get interviews for they seemingly don't read my CV and then tell me what I already know at interview (that I don't have previous care work experience or NVQ2 in care) and basically waste my time. I've tried ringing up care homes regarding work and they all want previous experience and and NVQ2 in care. I've rang up all of the local care homes and they won't take on volunteers. I would actually try to get the NVQ2 but due to having a degree I can't get funding and I think you need to train on the job and without a job....well, you know the rest.

So I feel like I'm running in circles and getting nowhere. Without the work experience my application to GEM is worthless. I could have the best GAMSAT/UKCAT score and interview well, but without work experience I won't be taken seriously. So 2016 entry is looking less and less likely as the days/weeks pass. It's just so frustrating - no one will take me on because I don't have experience but I just need one chance to get that experience.

It's made me feel like I'm pursuing something totally beyond myself because if I can't get a part time role doing night work in a care home or cleaning wards as bank staff...then how can I even imagine myself being a doctor or getting into med school. This whole year has just torn apart my self belief and I'm finding it difficult to see how applying for GEM 2016 is really going to benefit me at all. I just really want my life back on track - I gave up everything this year to pursue something that is now totally eluding me and looking at my Plan B of Physio doesn't seem too promising now that I'm learning that jobs aren't plentiful. This wouldn't be so bad if I had a career to fall back on but I don't - I'm just left with min wage roles and living back at the 'rents place...seemingly indefinitely. I'm just starting to think Medicine is a silly pursuit...I tell people I want to be a Doctor whilst getting rejection updates for band 2 roles in the NHS. I feel like I'm deluding myself.

(As for whether I can afford a 3rd degree - I can't even afford my own rent right now so, no, I guess I was just being hopeful.)

I think I'm going to have to accept that I'm going to be in this for the long haul. I'll make a 2016 application, but I'm not going to kid myself about my chances. Hopefully 2016 will bring more opportunities for work/voluntary roles and my 2017 application will be at least marginally competitive.
    I really sympathise with you. I struggled to find any work after leaving sixth form, even very low grade, menial work. Have you tried private home care agencies? They're usually dying for employees, especially ones with cars or a means of transport. If you are able to get access to your closest city then it would be worth it. Pay isn't all that and you usually end up on a zero hours contract, but you get to meet a variety of people with differing illnesses and it's great fodder for personal statements.

You can always apply next year if you don't feel prepared enough this year round. You've got to really want this to happen, otherwise you'll just give up

ReputationRep:
    How about the Bank Technical Instructor (Physiotherapy) or the full-time one at your local board/trust advertised on NHS jobs?

ReputationRep:
    I really sympathise with you. I struggled to find any work after leaving sixth form, even very low grade, menial work. Have you tried private home care agencies? They're usually dying for employees, especially ones with cars or a means of transport. If you are able to get access to your closest city then it would be worth it. Pay isn't all that and you usually end up on a zero hours contract, but you get to meet a variety of people with differing illnesses and it's great fodder for personal statements.

You can always apply next year if you don't feel prepared enough this year round. You've got to really want this to happen, otherwise you'll just give up
    Thanks, I have looked into home care work - problem is I have no car and live in a rural area. But there is a bus through my village and it goes to one 'major' city so that's the best place to look.

I really wanted to apply this year - I feel like if I don't apply to uni then my life is still in limbo. I just need some sense of stability back again - hopefully if I can get a related job, even P/T, then that will give me the focus I need and help me to feel more positive about GEM.

(Original post by NHSFan)
    How about the Bank Technical Instructor (Physiotherapy) at Bangor or the full-time one at Bodelwyddan (Betsi Cadwaladr Health Board), currently on NHS jobs?
    Hi, thank you - I applied last week (my Mum notified me of the vacancy - she works in Phys/OT). The original close date was last week, I applied before the close date and now they've extended the application deadline to the 25th....so I'm assuming they didn't think too highly of any of the applications they received (including mine). To be honest, I've been applying relentlessly to the BCHB for months and keep getting rejected without interview so I'm really not expecting anything - I hate to sound so pessimistic but it's just not looking great.

ReputationRep:

Hi, thank you - I applied last week (my Mum notified me of the vacancy - she works in Phys/OT). The original close date was last week, I applied before the close date and now they've extended the application deadline to the 25th....so I'm assuming they didn't think too highly of any of the applications they received (including mine). To be honest, I've been applying relentlessly to the BCHB for months and keep getting rejected without interview so I'm really not expecting anything - I hate to sound so pessimistic but it's just not looking great.

Try to stay positive! Perhaps there were not enough applicants to bother with interviews yet!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHSFan)
    Try to stay positive! Perhaps there were not enough applicants to bother with interviews yet!?
    Thanks, hopefully that's the case - I'll let you know if something good comes of it. Thanks for your encouragement .

ReputationRep:

I appreciate the medicine related work experience thing must be incredibly frustrating. Remember that you realistically have until Dec/Jan to get some though (i.e. interview time – though watch Warwick as they require 70ish hours to be shown by December.). The PS isn’t formally marked in terms of getting to interview and at best will be looked at briefly for things to talk about at interview or to ensure you have at least some potential. At interview stage you can easily go on to include the extra stuff you’ve done.

Experience also doesn't need to be in medicine. At my interviews obv my med stuff came upbut I also spoke a lot about other roles.

Self-doubt is natural - I was utterly convinced I hadn't got into Warwick when the 1st offer came out (they gave out offers individually so there were 200 plus to go at that stage!). It's definitely not a reason to give up. Indeed, I imagine most of your career as a doc will involve some level of doubt as to whether you're doing the right thing.

In terms of getting rejected for band 2 roles – I just got rejected from the local cinema selling popcorn as a summer job! I have a 1st in law and masters distinction in international law. But it’s not a reflection of my academic or ‘higher professions’ ability, they just don’t want someone who is clearly bogging off in September (talking in interview about how much I was looking forward to starting med prob wasn’t the best idea!)! Or in your case, they just cba training you when they can avoid the expense. It’s not a reflection on you, it’s a reflection on them and nothing more.

If you fancy doing first aid I’m pally with the national trainer for the Red Cross, Lyn Covey, so will happily lobby for you to get onto a training course.I’m also one of their volunteer enhanced skills trainers so have a fair number of contacts about the place. Lots of direct hands on experience, relevant skills (teamwork, dealing with stress etc.) and chances to work alongside med. professionals. Feel free to PM me to exchange emails if you’re interested.

Finally, be careful with money; while (if you’re English) most of it is covered you’ll still need some level of savings. If you have to quit due to lack of money thatreally is the end of the road.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, hopefully that's the case - I'll let you know if something good comes of it. Thanks for your encouragement .
    Think about experience in mental health too. That would be excellent for a medicine application. Is there a MIND or Rethink Mental Illness group in your area?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know when our ucas application has to be sent of by?
    October 15th

ReputationRep:

DONT GIVE UP!!!!! Seriously, you can do it!!! I have been applying for care home jobs and hospital jobs since the end of March/start of April and it's only now that I've caught a break!! Just keep on trying, look on www.carehome.co.uk for jobs in your area, they add new jobs all the time!! Look for activity coordinator jobs at the care home too!! I uploaded my cv and sent it off the every single job on there, most of them (like 99%) I have had no reply or have been unsuccessful, but you need to keep on applying and searching for that one job that will take you with no experience and no NVQ!! You've got this!! Keep smiling and keep trying, somewhere will take you on!!

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

I know it seems hard but don't forget that although it's helpful to have care home experience, it's not essential. They want to see you work well with people and you need to have examples to back up skills you already have. Get a Disclosure Scotland done (you don't have to live in Scotland) so you have evidence of a recent basic criminal records check and see what else is around. I taught science to children from deprived backgrounds (see if any childcare places are recruiting for summer clubs if paid work is essential), and volunteered as a dog walker but even working in a supermarket involves working with people and pays. Insight into the NHS is helpful but it doesn't have to be a clinical role, admin work might still be valuable and would pay. You have over a year before you would leave so that shouldn't be a problem with say a Band 4 job but a temp agency might be handy to get you in place faster.

I was completely honest as to why I didn't have any HCA experience and said that I couldn't afford to which was perfectly fine at interview. Keep trying, it's not too late yet!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

just a quick one about work experience. Do I need to show substantial work experience that has been completed prior to 15th October, so in my PS or can it be ongoing and as long as you have done it by the interview?

Relating more to the 70hrs min for Warwick rather than other places.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.