Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    Haha no an A in AS further maths Taught FP1, S2 and think I'm gonna do s3 next
    Did you put further maths AS in your pending qualifications on UCAS? By the way S3 is harder than m1/m2 imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainDrain)
    This does seem very unfair and almost impossible to achieve, and I agree it must feel like giving with one hand and taking away with the other. Surely after all the hurdles guys go through to even be considered for a place, once these are met it should be a level playing field for all. I does surprise me also that offers often stipulate obtaining A*grades in subjects that are irrelevant to what is applied for, but that's Cambridge I guess...... I wish your son all the best wherever he goes to university
    Thanks for this. Cambridge are a law unto themselves, I guess.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    The fact of the matter is the bar as already arbitrarily low, nearly everyone doing science exceeds their offer and i'd guess the same is true for a large proportion of arts applicants.

They only want applicants who are very able/teachable. Your marks show how able you are your interviews how teachable. If your marks were high but interviews slightly below par it seems only sensible to give a high offer as a check and balance on confirming that you are able to achieve high academic results as you many not get as much out of supervisions. If you come off as thinking in a way that makes you more teachable then they can give you an easier offer as they already believe you would do well in the supervision environment.
    If you have high GCSE and AS UMS you have proved you are both able and teachable and high A2 grades will show no different.

There seems no academic justification in requiring some to have to achieve higher A2 grades than others.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here get an offer from Corpus? Did you get a letter/email/track update? Was it for Compsci?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    And some colleges seem to be worse than others. Apparently Catz is asking A*A*A for Sciences despite their website stating:

"At present the typical conditional offer for applicants to Cambridge courses in science is A*A*A, and for arts and humanities subjects A*AA. However, the St Catharine's 'typical' A-level offer for candidates who apply in autumn 2014 will be A*AA in all subjects"

http://www.caths.cam.ac.uk/home/?m=page&id=208
    Do you think I can ask why I have been given a higher offer than the Handbook says is typical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zero to Hero)
    If you have high GCSE and AS UMS you have proved you are both able and teachable and high A2 grades will show no different.
    Cambridge has it's own academic micro-climate. Being able and teachable by Cambridge standards is not being able and teachable by exam standards.

Perhaps it is not fair in the same way lots of equally capable candidates are turned down on the basis of 90 minutes of contact time isn't fair, but you've got the better end of the stick and it is certainly a justifiable viewpoint.

I was pooled to Robinson from Kings following one horrendous interview and one reasonable interview. I was re-interviewed and got a AAAA offer for NatSci. I was delighted with it but had someone offered me a 4A* offer to kings instead id have taken it gladly.

Your complaint is incredibly self indulgent, there are lots of equally gifted people who applied who haven't got an offer through circumstance who in the end (like you) will probably exceed your offer requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    Cambridge has it's own academic micro-climate. Being able and teachable by Cambridge standards is not being able and teachable by exam standards.

Perhaps it is not fair in the same way lots of equally capable candidates are turned down on the basis of 90 minutes of contact time isn't fair, but you've got the better end of the stick and it is certainly a justifiable viewpoint.

I was pooled to Robinson from Kings following one horrendous interview and one reasonable interview. I was re-interviewed and got a AAAA offer for NatSci. I was delighted with it but had someone offered me a 4A* offer to kings instead id have taken it gladly.

Your complaint is incredibly self indulgent, there are lots of equally gifted people who applied who haven't got an offer through circumstance who in the end (like you) will probably exceed your offer requirements.
    How can asking whether it is fair that some people are given higher offers than others for the same course , even at the same college, be regarded as self indulgent?

Can nobody question Cambridge's entry policies when they patently treat people differently for the same course?

Is it really too much to ask to expect Cambridge to be as transparent in explaining the process of deciding why some people get lower offers than others as they are in explaining what the criteria is for deciding who gets them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tangletoo)
    'This is easily within your capabilities, so don't worry about it' .
    That's exactly how to think about it! the more you question why its a higher offer the more you'll over analyse it and the more likely you are to actually create some sort of inferiority complex or psychological barrier.

In my mind being told by a world leader in their academic field that such high achievement is easily within your capabilities should be taken as a great endorsement for your son.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    That's exactly how to think about it! the more you question why its a higher offer the more you'll over analyse it and the more likely you are to actually create some sort of inferiority complex or psychological barrier.

In my mind being told by a world leader in their academic field that such high achievement is easily within your capabilities should be taken as a great endorsement for your son.
    It is of course always possible to send a Freedom of Information request to the collage asking for a list of the offer requirements given out for a particular subject and to ask them to identify which were from Private school and which were International to see If there is any correlation.

After all, the purpose of the Freedom of Information Act is to uncover such bias.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    Try the list on page 6. Do you have an offer for Robinson for Engineering?

Yes I do I wanted to meet some others who also have the same!

ReputationRep:
    HI anyone know if corpus Christi has updated track on UCAS for rejections or offers - radio silence here

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys know whether we'll get another letter or something with forms or explanations of what documents we need to provide?

There's a strange condition on my offer that I need to provide evidence of having sufficient funds for the course. I thought this only for non-EU students and I'd actually like to apply for the bursary, anybody know what this is about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Folks, Christ's Admissions Tutor is inviting student feedback about the 2014/2015 application process here:

Giving feedback to Cambridge

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3081387

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esther Negbenose)
    ooh what college is this?
    Medwards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)

Indeed. I am exceedingly pleased and proud of him.

For all those who are successful in achieving an offer or those that don't, we all know that this doesn't detract from their achievements. To even be worth an interview is a great endorsement. With or without Cambridge, these young people will go on to do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    The fact of the matter is the bar as already arbitrarily low, nearly everyone doing science exceeds their offer and i'd guess the same is true for a large proportion of arts applicants.

They only want applicants who are very able/teachable. Your marks show how able you are your interviews how teachable. If your marks were high but interviews slightly below par it seems only sensible to give a high offer as a check and balance on confirming that you are able to achieve high academic results as you many not get as much out of supervisions. If you come off as thinking in a way that makes you more teachable then they can give you an easier offer as they already believe you would do well in the supervision environment.
    It still remains the case that anyone being asked to obtain 4A* is being unfairly treated when compared to his cohort, lets face it , that's almost an impossible task.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zero to Hero)
    Surely they would believe that someone they are "sure" about was more likely to achieve higher grades than those they are "not sure " about.
    If everyone was set the same academic hurdle then the best able would cross it and those who weren't would not.

What is the logic of raising the bar for those they believe are the less able and lowering it for the most able , if that is what you believe they do.
    This is not a Cambridge thing - its how all universities operate.

And its quite simple (as far as it has been explained to me) It's got nothing to do with fairness and it has to do with who the universities want. If an application is very good then the university will want them, regardless of whether they get 4A*s or not, as they have proved themselves so they get set a lower offer because the university doesnt want to lose them if they dont achieve the higher one.

On the other hand, If a candidate is borderline (by that unis standards) the uni may decide they only want them IF they can achieve high grades at A2 (ie 4A*s) and if they cant prove themselves by doing that then the uni doesnt infact want them.

Its not about whats good/fair for all students, its to ensure the uni gets who THEY want, and tbh I think thats fine, they're not obligated to make anyone an offer, and its their right to set it so they can get the people they want.

All applicants are not the same, some some are clearly more wanted than others, based on their application, so the offers reflect that. And some colleges put a different amount of importance on A2s - which is their choice

ReputationRep:
    It still remains the case that anyone being asked to obtain 4A* is being unfairly treated when compared to his cohort, lets face it , that's almost an impossible task.
    It's clearly not an impossible task, as the average no. of A*s for a science student at cambridge is 3.5, so seeing as theres probably more with 2 than 5 it follows there would be more more with 4 than 3, its quite usual to have 4 A*s at cambridge so they want to ensure the candidate is of that standard

ReputationRep:
    14/18 phys NatSci at robinson have 4A*'s... Harder but hardly impossible

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbf A*A*A*A* or A*A*A, if you're good enough you're good enough.

Although I'm not complaining about having the latter :mmm:

Plus if your interview wasn't as strong, or you were weaker on paper, it's another filter for them.

Consider yourself lucky you got an offer.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.