Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielle46)
    for part b of oman would it of been okay to write about the shooting of candy's dog? the fact that his dog was taken from him and he was left "staring at the ceiling" suggesting that candy had no control over his companions fate due to his old age/being assumed as weak?? therefore being seen as a lower class citizen as he has lost the ability to have an influence on brutality as a whole? i also wrote that the shooting of his dog foreboded his possible fate due to him having no control over some of the other ranch workers? idk if that even made sense blah, praying for low grade boundaries!
    I think you have the foundations of a really good point there. It's all about how you convey it to the examiner through your response and the techniques you used to do this.

If you linked it to context, talked about why Steinbeck does this and the effect on the reader, and backed it up with analysed quotations I'm sure your point will have the ability to reach Band 6!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by room.25)
    Stop using derogatory terms! If you think my come backs are from the internet then that just shows your mental capacity...0! By the way I can analyse but it doesn't take a goldfish to infer that you are dumbfounded and poorly educated.
    I didn't say your comebacks are I said I bet they are and not really I doesn't take Albert Einstein to work out your a p**** does it now. You just say the same thing your poorly educated because that's all you can think of wow good comeback not. At least I'm not an Obnoxious person who thinks their great unlike you. Why don't you just go away because no one likes you and your not helping anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffiee)
    I didn't say your comebacks are I said I bet they are and not really I doesn't take Albert Einstein to work out your a p**** does it now. You just say the same thing your poorly educated because that's all you can think of wow good comeback not. At least I'm not an Obnoxious person who thinks their great unlike you. Why don't you just go away because no one likes you and your not helping anyone
    Grow up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoomCha!;[url="tel:55926607")
    55926607[/url]]Grow up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Shut up you don't know what we're talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _ariane29)
    I didn't like the curleys wife extract either. I thought there was more to say about Lennie in that extract
    The question asked about how the passage conveys the death of Curley's wife so describing Lennie and the manner through which he kills her is completely valid.

In these sorts of questions, the examiner expects you to find a quotation such as Lennie's "paws", and link it to the manner through which Curley's wife is killed and the motives for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    Curley's wife's barn scene is also a possibility. The second question could link to dreams, which haven't appeared, I don't think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Extract question predicted three years in a row

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBlackHookage)
    The question asked about how the passage conveys the death of Curley's wife so describing Lennie and the manner through which he kills her is completely valid.

In these sorts of questions, the examiner expects you to find a quotation such as Lennie's "paws", and link it to the manner through which Curley's wife is killed and the motives for it.

I talked about her death is inevitable almost because the passage began with Lennie 'stroking' her hair, and this is like linked with his love to pet soft things and this always ends in death, that steinbeck is almost foreshadowing? Would that be right and i talked about how she "flopped like a fish" and described that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big_dreamer)
    I talked about her death is inevitable almost because the passage began with Lennie 'stroking' her hair, and this is like linked with his love to pet soft things and this always ends in death, that steinbeck is almost foreshadowing? Would that be right and i talked about how she "flopped like a fish" and described that.
    Pretty much what I put

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree I think its going to be the death of CW or death of Lennie at the end or fight scene. I am not so sure Candy is because he already has in some past papers..
    oh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoomCha!)
    Pretty much what I put

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank God, people were like to me oh he isn't foreshadowing anything and I was left more confused

ReputationRep:
    My teacher has told us that we shouldn't make links to the rest of the book and only to focus on the passage they give us so I'm not sure if your first point would be entirely valid. However, the foreshadowing part would be correct since it's focused within the passage.

As long as you take a quote from the passage and analyse it, marks are always available so you should be granted marks for your second point.

But am I correct in thinking these are your only two points? If so I don't think you would be able to reach the top band since around 4 developed points are necessary to reach the highest marks possible.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! Hope you all found the exam ok... the timing sucked big time for me I only wrote 3 pararaphs to do with Curley's wife in the barn scene and only 1 for the brutality of the time however when I was talking about Curley's wife and her death I linked it to opression and brutality so does that count if I included it in some bits??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBlackHookage)
    My teacher has told us that we shouldn't make links to the rest of the book and only to focus on the passage they give us so I'm not sure if your first point would be entirely valid. However, the foreshadowing part would be correct since it's focused within the passage.

As long as you take a quote from the passage and analyse it, marks are always available so you should be granted marks for your second point.

But am I correct in thinking these are your only two points? If so I don't think you would be able to reach the top band since around 4 developed points are necessary to reach the highest marks possible.
    oh i can't remember think I did something else because I did do about 3 pages for it. I think I took their advice of a lot about a little too far. I just want to make sure I get a secure B/A in this

ReputationRep:
    Guys for the Mr Birling question what were each of the points in your paragraphs about. Also did you write about structure and stage directions alot in the answer?? If so how did you incoperate it into your exam? I was going to do the second question but it encapsulated way too many characters and concepts so I thought Mr Birling would be the better question.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone help me? My English teacher didn't tell us anything about the AOs ... So I didn't think you had to write about language, structure and form. I wrote a bit about Mr Birling's long speeches (provincial and social-ladder-climbing - long monologues showing he is egotistical and this makes audience dislike him - helping priestly show that capitalism is wrong) and about the short sentences in the to Kill a Mockingbird passage (to show scout's age and disapproval at her father). Do you think this will be enough to get enough points? I got full marks in the controlled assessments and, now I know about AO2, will write about this in Thursday's poetry exam. I was hoping for an A* before now and this has really worried me. Help!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone think that the exam today was really simple? So happy with how it went!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by room.25)
    Well you my friend are turning green with envy.
    tell them to invest in adoption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alejazambrano;[url="tel:55930815")
    55930815[/url]]tell them to invest in adoption.
    What are you on about?

ReputationRep:
    earlier posts .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alejazambrano;[url="tel:55931171")
    55931171[/url]] earlier posts .
    Oh yeah I was having an argument with that person earlier

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.