The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah4262
How long would you guys recommend spending on the 12-marker? I'm gonna leave it till the end but I haven't actually done any timed past papers so I'm not sue how long to leave for it?

It's 72 marks (36 each section with research methods embedded)
It lasts for 1 hour and 30 minutes (90 minutes)

90/72 = 1.25 minutes per mark

1.25 x 12 = 15 minutes.

15 minutes for the 12 marker is what is recommended.
Original post by hannah4262
How long would you guys recommend spending on the 12-marker? I'm gonna leave it till the end but I haven't actually done any timed past papers so I'm not sue how long to leave for it?

I'm really quick so I do it straight away and dedicate 20/25 mins to it (not exaggerating) to ensure I have enough time to think about it and write everything! Then whip through rest of paper. Still finish with 16mins free and get an A :biggrin: may not work for everyone but you've got to make sure you get 10/11/12 out of 12!
can anyone give me a brief overview of content analysis??
Can anyone post some 12 mark model answers to any questions they predict will come up?
Thank you
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 664
Would this be enough for 6/6 for a01 of the strange situation

Ainswroth conducted a controllen observation recording the reactions of a child and mother who were introduced into a strange room with toys. 100 American infants and there mothers took part. Infants behaviour was observed during a set of pre determined activities which involved the child experiencing eight episodes for 3 minutes. the child is observed playing for 20 mins while the caregiver stranger enter and leave the room, Observer notes the childs willingness to explore, seperation anxiety stranger anxiety and re union behaviour. they found that 70% were securely attached and 15% were insecurely resistant/avoidant.

How many marks would this get me for a01 please
Original post by Marli-Ruth

Systematic research technique for analysing non-numerical data.
Decide upon what may emerge in text to be analysed and create a coding system based on predetermined themes. Collect a large number of examples from chosen sample and catergorise items found in material according to coding units. Such as themes, words or character.
Original post by Marli-Ruth

Content analysis is using pre-existing materials (i.e. in the media, such as TV adverts, newspapers etc). The researcher decides on a coding system, so decides on specific words/topics/behaviour they want to look for and simply measure how many times it appears:smile:
feeling ready :smile:
Original post by K3lvin
Would this be enough for 6/6 for a01 of the strange situation

Ainswroth conducted a controllen observation recording the reactions of a child and mother who were introduced into a strange room with toys. 100 American infants and there mothers took part. Infants behaviour was observed during a set of pre determined activities which involved the child experiencing eight episodes for 3 minutes. the child is observed playing for 20 mins while the caregiver stranger enter and leave the room, Observer notes the childs willingness to explore, seperation anxiety stranger anxiety and re union behaviour. they found that 70% were securely attached and 15% were insecurely resistant/avoidant.

How many marks would this get me for a01 please

Thats pretty good, I would say to ensure the full 6 marks just add the conclusion "attachment depends how quickly and sensitively mother reacts to child"
personally think 5/6
Guys don't worry. Yes many people will tell you it Tizard but I know you won't do Baddeley.

Just a few puns to lighten the mood :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did a past paper question about the effects of age on accuracy, and I wrote about Yarmey's findings, in the text book it says that he found a significant difference in the accuracy of recall between older and younger participants. In the mark scheme it says he found no differences in the ability of older participants to recall physical characteristics of a young woman. So would I not get the marks?
Original post by Shamzy25
Guys don't worry. Yes many people will tell you it Tizard but I know you won't do Baddeley.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've got a real comedian here :congrats::colonhash:
Reply 672
Original post by nobodycarescarla
Thats pretty good, I would say to ensure the full 6 marks just add the conclusion "attachment depends how quickly and sensitively mother reacts to child"
personally think 5/6

But someone said you have to talk about the 8 episodes in detail which i didnt is this true to get full marks
Original post by priya98
I did a past paper question about the effects of age on accuracy, and I wrote about Yarmey's findings, in the text book it says that he found a significant difference in the accuracy of recall between older and younger participants. In the mark scheme it says he found no differences in the ability of older participants to recall physical characteristics of a young woman. So would I not get the marks?

He didn't find a difference other than that younger adults were more confident in their recall. However, Memon found that when the delay of an incident and identification task was delayed (a week) older participants were less accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nobodycarescarla
Systematic research technique for analysing non-numerical data.
Decide upon what may emerge in text to be analysed and create a coding system based on predetermined themes. Collect a large number of examples from chosen sample and catergorise items found in material according to coding units. Such as themes, words or character.

Original post by jessicajohowe
Content analysis is using pre-existing materials (i.e. in the media, such as TV adverts, newspapers etc). The researcher decides on a coding system, so decides on specific words/topics/behaviour they want to look for and simply measure how many times it appears:smile:

Can anyone outline and evaluate the EPPE and NICHD enough for a 12 mark essay on daycare? Thanks
Original post by Shamzy25

Posted from TSR Mobile

This made my day
Original post by HanScience
Can anyone outline and evaluate the EPPE and NICHD enough for a 12 mark essay on daycare? Thanks

I would probably start off with talking about the EPPE project.
Say that it involved 3000ppts information on their parents, home environment and pre-school setting collected. Used home children as a control group and found that there was a positive effect on children's intelligence, that there's better sociability etc
Then for the AO2 i'd probably compare it and contrast it with the information found in NICHD.
Either way around, the question could still be answered well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending