Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IamLiquid)
You've been told wrong then.

DDM = 320 (120 + 120 + 80 = 320)

360 would be DDD.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...ff-tables/1161
It sounds like the grading system/UCAS points changed since I've done a BTEC. But there was a website (can't remember what one) which allowed us to put what kind of BTEC we did, and our units and grades and predicted grades. When I put it all in, it came to DDM, which was 360 UCAS points at the time

EDIT: it says teaching FROM September 2014 on the UCAS site, and I completed my BTEC this time last July and I did a couple of BTEC level 2s back at school and they even said a merit is a 'b' and a pass is a 'c', so clearly it's all changed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Incubator
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrunkie)
a-levels are harder than btec. It's simply a fact.

Something that i hate is that excellence scholarships are offered to btec students with ddd and a-level students with aaa. As if a distinction is equivalent to an a in a-level. An a is so much harder to obtain than distinctions so that's not fair at all.

Should have done a **** btec and got some extra money from it and still do the same course at the same university. What utter nonsense.
preach brother!
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ohhello92x)
Actually a merit is a 'b' and a pass is a 'c'

Posted from TSR Mobile
At level 3 youve never been able to get a B grade equiv, you are thinking of the level 2 grading system

In level 3 you can get D* (A*), D (A), M (C) and P (E)

DDM = AAC (equiv to ABB) = 320 UCAS points

And DDM has never been worth any different amount of UCAS points, i think you just have gotten yourself mixed up a bir
ohhello92x
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
At level 3 youve never been able to get a B grade equiv, you are thinking of the level 2 grading system

In level 3 you can get D* (A*), D (A), M (C) and P (E)

DDM = AAC (equiv to ABB) = 320 UCAS points

And DDM has never been worth any different amount of UCAS points, i think you just have gotten yourself mixed up a bir
I doubt it :/ idk

Posted from TSR Mobile
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I doubt it :/ idk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doubt what?
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
Doubt what?
I have put i don't know @ the end so..

Posted from TSR Mobile
millie99101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ryanx623)
I get that with certain courses, Health + Social care for example are complete knobs, However courses like Engineering are filled with A-level capable students...
Okay, coming from someone who is CURRENTLY STUDYING the HEALTH AND SOCIAL CARE EXTENDED DIPLOMA (equivalent to 3 A LEVELS), I have to honestly say that....

If you're good at English it's definitely easier then if you aren't
If you WANT TO GO DOWN THE CAREER IT TAKES YOU TO IT'S EASIER BECAUSE YOU'RE INTERESTED, IT'S DIRECT, AND YOU LIKE DOING IT!
Much of the course is practical base so instead of saying its 'easy', I'd say that you have to be the right kind of person to take the course successfully.

DON'T BE FOOLED, there is a lot of coursework!
I MEAN A LOT
Lets just give you an example:
For my first ever assignment that I did...
It was over 7000 words long AND I achieved a distinction
I worked my arse off for that distinction and I got it.
I don't see any A level students with 2 weeks to balance about 3/4 of these assignments all at once!
maybe there is other work that is hard yes, however, BTEC is A LOT OF WORK IF YOU WANT TO DO WELL!

*bearing in mind that when taking a BTEC (especially this course) they expect to you have a part time job, partake in volunteering and do your work placement whilst completing all this coursework*~ you're taking a vocational, practical course so they expect this from you as a btec student!

Personally, yes I find the course less pressuring than GCSE's,
but why should education put pressure on you in that way?
I hated the thought of exams coming up and I started to panic about it 2 years in advance!
However, THAT DOESN'T TAKE AWAY THE FACT THAT THIS COURSE IS DIFFICULT AND TIME CONSUMING AND IT TAKES A LOT OF EFFORT, YOU CONSTANTLY HAVE TO BE DOING YOUR BEST OR YOU FAIL AND THAT'S IT. I'D SAY IT'S EQUAL TO A LEVELS BECAUSE YOU'RE EXPECTED TO DO MANY THINGS WHICH WILL BOOST YOUR UNDERSTANDING. YOU GAIN EXPERIENCE IN THE REAL WORLD instead of being in 'full time all day education 5 days a week' I personally don't think this is healthy for people anymore.

(what do I do you say?
I have 2 part time jobs, my work placement and I volunteer! while balancing hours of coursework, so I wouldn't say that it's any easier if you want to make the most out of it!)
rxns_00
Badges: 13
Report 3 years ago
Because let's face it you can't really mess up a btec its a bit too easy.

Sorry not bothered what btec people come and say about how hard their stuff is, come and swap places with eg me u would cry thanks
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by millie99101)
Okay, coming from someone who is CURRENTLY STUDYING the HEALTH AND SOCIAL CARE EXTENDED DIPLOMA (equivalent to 3 A LEVELS), I have to honestly say that....

If you WANT TO GO DOWN THE CAREER IT TAKES YOU TO IT'S EASIER BECAUSE YOU'RE INTERESTED, IT'S DIRECT, AND YOU LIKE DOING IT!
Much of the course is practical base so instead of saying its 'easy', I'd say that you have to be the right kind of person to take the course successfully.

I MEAN A LOT
I don't see any A level students with 2 weeks to balance about 3/4 of these assignments all at once!
maybe there is other work that is hard yes, however, BTEC is A LOT OF WORK IF YOU WANT TO DO WELL!

*bearing in mind that when taking a BTEC (especially this course) they expect to you have a part time job, partake in volunteering and do your work placement whilst completing all this coursework*~ you're taking a vocational, practical course so they expect this from you as a btec student!

I hated the thought of exams coming up and I started to panic about it 2 years in advance!
However, THAT DOESN'T TAKE AWAY THE FACT THAT THIS COURSE IS DIFFICULT AND TIME CONSUMING AND IT TAKES A LOT OF EFFORT, YOU CONSTANTLY HAVE TO BE DOING YOUR BEST OR YOU FAIL AND THAT'S IT. I'D SAY IT'S EQUAL TO A LEVELS BECAUSE YOU'RE EXPECTED TO DO MANY THINGS WHICH WILL BOOST YOUR UNDERSTANDING. YOU GAIN EXPERIENCE IN THE REAL WORLD instead of being in 'full time all day education 5 days a week' I personally don't think this is healthy for people anymore.

(what do I do you say?
I have 2 part time jobs, my work placement and I volunteer! while balancing hours of coursework, so I wouldn't say that it's any easier if you want to make the most out of it!)
I totally agree.

I did BTEC h&s care & I'm now at uni !
I found that the tutors who taught me we firm but fair with the marking, when I did the 2nd year one of the tutors was a uni lecturer, so she basically marked how she would mark at uni level, so that honestly prepared me for uni

And good luck with the rest of the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
millie99101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Incubator)
preach brother!

yes but you have to remember that not everyone is capable of taking 3 straight A levels and the btec is hard in a different way.
It's not all research and fact based like A levels are.
It's practical so the award is suitable for the course.
and personally I think btecs give a more rounded education to students because you get to experience the real world more instead of study books learning facts all the time (not a fact just stating my opinion).

also, so you think it's fair to give someone a money scholarship just because they are cleverer than you?
What about the people who do work to the best of their abilities and still aren't a straight A student, then what?
that DDD might mean everything to someone,
I know it would mean a hell of a lot to me if I achieved that!
It's equal but in a different way! you don't know what u might achieve if u took it!
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yes but you have to remember that not everyone is capable of taking 3 straight A levels and the btec is hard in a different way.
It's not all research and fact based like A levels are.
It's practical so the award is suitable for the course.
and personally I think btecs give a more rounded education to students because you get to experience the real world more instead of study books learning facts all the time (not a fact just stating my opinion).

also, so you think it's fair to give someone a money scholarship just because they are cleverer than you?
What about the people who do work to the best of their abilities and still aren't a straight A student, then what?
that DDD might mean everything to someone,
I know it would mean a hell of a lot to me if I achieved that!
It's equal but in a different way! you don't know what u might achieve if u took it!
I agree, when I did a level 3 BTEC, it gave me an insight into the real world when I did placements, and I could easily relate to that in my assignments , I'm at uni now, and I sometimes even use my level 3 work to get ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile
spiritless98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I MEAN A LOT

(what do I do you say?
We have practical work/coursework in A levels aswell
Um potential medical students/science students/dentistry etc are required to take part in voluntary work too and quite a few have jobs too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
millie99101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RonnieRJ)

Sorry not bothered what btec people come and say about how hard their stuff is, come and swap places with eg me u would cry thanks
I wouldn't cry about the work , I'm perfectly capable of doing it, just not under pressure. (exams gave me really really bad anxiety)
I'd say that's the only difference sorry, I have so much work that I have to complete to a high standard all the time,
and as I said it's a different kind of education
you get out of it what you put in..
username2130115
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd guess it's because it's easier getting an D* in a BTEC than it is getting an A* in an A-Level because you do loads of small bitesize assignments throughout the year that contribute to the grade rather than a couple of 2 hour exams at the end of the year that determine the grade.
Ezme39
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
BTECs are for more applied subjects, A-levels are for more academic subjects. Hence, those doing BTECs tend to be less academically able... there's nothing wrong or bad about that? They have different skills. And that doesn't apply to all BTECs or all A-levels, because no two subjects are the same
millie99101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by spiritless98)
We have practical work/coursework in A levels aswell
Um potential medical students/science students/dentistry etc are required to take part in voluntary work too and quite a few have jobs too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand that, but the coursework is not going to be to the extent of what level 3 students do,
also yes I understand the voluntary and part-time job thing too, but I meant BTEC students will spend much more time focussing on jobs relating to their career that they can do, and also a flipping long time on coursework.
The course is practical because that's what it's meant to be!
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ezme39)
BTECs are for more applied subjects, A-levels are for more academic subjects. Hence, those doing BTECs tend to be less academically able... there's nothing wrong or bad about that? They have different skills. And that doesn't apply to all BTECs or all A-levels, because no two subjects are the same
I did a BTEC and I'm at uni now. The only reason why I chose a BTEC over A-Levels is because I prefer coursework over exams (exams aren't really my specialty tbh)

Posted from TSR Mobile
millie99101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Raees_Sharif)
I'd guess it's because it's easier getting an D* in a BTEC than it is getting an A* in an A-Level because you do loads of small bitesize assignments throughout the year that contribute to the grade rather than a couple of 2 hour exams at the end of the year that determine the grade.
WOAH WOAH WOAH trust me they're not 'small and bite sized' ahah i have to laugh at the one!!

My first assignment was over 7000 words!
That's over 15 pages long...
This was done along with 3 other assignments at the same time!

And that's my point, yes there is more pressure on A level students but at the end it comes down to exams for a few hours which you can't even get back and you have nothing to show for your hard work and effort (except the grade obviously)( which i think is wrong and unfair on A level students tbh)
That's also why i hated GCSE's because after doing them there was no level of satisfaction and nothing to show!

Whereas a BTEC you have so many things and documents and work placements and certificates and achievements to show for yourself at the end of it all!
And you have more time to go into the real world and utilize those skills learned in class so you can experience life more!
millie99101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did a BTEC and I'm at uni now. The only reason why I chose a BTEC over A-Levels is because I prefer coursework over exams (exams aren't really my specialty tbh)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes that's what I'm trying to say!
I do a btec and i think the way the exams are done on the A level students are unfair anyway.!!!!
sorry but how are those exams which last a few hours going to fairly test your ability on the subject?
they don't??? you could be panicking or ill or go blank??
A level students could be way better at the subject than your results reflect..
#thisiswhyihateexams
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RonnieRJ)

My btech was rally diffcult!
You should try getin grades in that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (10)
21.74%
No (36)
78.26%

Watched Threads