Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    As in how \frac {x-1}{x+1} becomes 1 - \frac{2}{x+1}?
    Yes please, I know how you'd do it by long division but on the solution for the question they changed the numerator from (z-1) to (z+1) -2, so I was just wondering how you would use this technique please? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can somone explain how:

e^ int P dx dy/dx + ( e^ int P dx *Py) = e^ int P dx * Q

d/dx( e^ int P dx *Q) = e^ int P dx *Q

is the integral of e^ int P dx - Pe^ int P dx +C ?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether partial fractions like those in question 18 here http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_..._questions.pdf could be in the exam, not seem them with quadratic powers before! Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Think I'll do the *** **** madas fp2 next Monday and Tuesday

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by economicss)
    Yes please, I know how you'd do it by long division but on the solution for the question they changed the numerator from (z-1) to (z+1) -2, so I was just wondering how you would use this technique please? Thanks
    If we had \frac{x-1}{x+1} then we can 'add 0' to the numerator like so:

\frac{x-1+(2-2)}{x+1}

= \frac{(x+1)-2}{x+1} and then use that (a+b)/c = (a/c) + (b/c) to give \frac{x+1}{x+1} - \frac{2}{x+1}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    If we had \frac{x-1}{x+1} then we can 'add 0' to the numerator like so:

\frac{x-1+(2-2)}{x+1}

= \frac{(x+1)-2}{x+1} and then use that (a+b)/c = (a/c) + (b/c) to give \frac{x+1}{x+1} - \frac{2}{x+1}
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Name:  fp2 q.png
Views: 148
Size:  160.4 KB
    Would anyone mind explaining the solution for this question? I cant understand how they have gone from the first line in the solution to the second. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lkara)
    Name:  fp2 q.png
Views: 148
Size:  160.4 KB
    Would anyone mind explaining the solution for this question? I cant understand how they have gone from the first line in the solution to the second. Thanks!
    It's integrating factors. Basically the DE is an exact DE.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know a site that has all of the IAL F2 papers? thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  504.5 KBCan anyone explain why for question one we don't differentiate the whole thing then put pi over 4 in ?in the mark scheme they just expanded cot then put then times it by the x - pi over 4. Just wondering why they didn't differiatiate both parts this time.

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 542281542283

(Original post by Tcoupe)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  504.5 KBCan anyone explain why for question one we don't differentiate the whole thing then put pi over 4 in ?in the mark scheme they just expanded cot then put then times it by the x - pi over 4. Just wondering why they didn't differiatiate both parts this time.
    I just did the expansion of cotx (by differentiating and inputting pi/4), multiplied through by (x-(pi/4))

Edit: Didn't mean to send it twice just useless with this phone
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to differentiate (dy/dx) = (e^-z) * (dy/dz). Using the product rule you know differentiating gives you (e^-z) * (the derivative of (dy/dz) with respect to x) + (dy/dz) * (the derivative of (e^-z) with respect to x) but I'm unsure how to differentiate something in terms of z with respect to x. I'd imagine it would be similar to implicit differentiation and I've gotten close to the right answer just playing around with the derivatives but I don't understand the maths behind it.

Thanks for any help/explanation/tips and sorry for the formatting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick2810)
    Does anyone know a site that has all of the IAL F2 papers? thanks very much
    There are only two but try this

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...nit%2FPaper-F2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xabier)
    I'm trying to differentiate (dy/dx) = (e^-z) * (dy/dz). Using the product rule you know differentiating gives you (e^-z) * (the derivative of (dy/dz) with respect to x) + (dy/dz) * (the derivative of (e^-z) with respect to x) but I'm unsure how to differentiate something in terms of z with respect to x. I'd imagine it would be similar to implicit differentiation.

Thanks for any help/explanation/tips and sorry for the formatting.
    I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) with the derivative of e^-z it's, like you said, similar to implicit differentiation so you get
    -e^-z (dz/dx).
    With the derivative of (dy/dz) with respect to x, you want to get an expression that means (d^2y/dz)*(d/dx) so I think it becomes (d^2y/dz^2)*(dz/dx)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)
    I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) with the derivative of e^-z it's, like you said, similar to implicit differentiation so you get
    -e^-z (dz/dx).
    With the derivative of (dy/dz) with respect to x, you want to get an expression that means (d^2y/dz)*(d/dx) so I think it becomes (d^2y/dz^2)*(dz/dx)?
    I think the derivative of (dy/dz) would just be (d^2y/dz^2)

Or at least that's what I've been doing with the exam questions and it usually works out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somevirtualguy)
    I think the derivative of (dy/dz) would just be (d^2y/dz^2)
    But it's with respect to x?

ReputationRep:
    But it's with respect to x?
    Oh my bad

ReputationRep:
    -e^-z (dz/dx).
    Thanks, just checked and your right on both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    It's integrating factors. Basically the DE is an exact DE.
    Name:  working fp2 q.png
Views: 101
Size:  361.7 KB

Thanks for your reply. I think I understand now. Would you mind checking the first few lines of my working to see if the logic follows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lkara)
    Name:  working fp2 q.png
Views: 101
Size:  361.7 KB

Thanks for your reply. I think I understand now. Would you mind checking the first few lines of my working to see if the logic follows?
    Perfect.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.