Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR F211/F212 AS Biology Retake 2016 Watch

• View Poll Results: How hard did you find F211?!
    Hard
    34.29%
    Okay
    52.50%
    Easy
    13.21%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marie0803)
    Glycogen is soluble though isn't it? It's amylose that is insoluble
    OH NOOO! I was thinking along the lines of glycogen being an energy store so I thought it wasn't meant to cause change in water potential for some reason I am kicking myself now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marie0803)
    Glycogen is soluble though isn't it? It's amylose that is insoluble
    No, Glycogen and Amylose are basically the same in structure so both are insoluble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinksy)
    OH NOOO! I was thinking along the lines of glycogen being an energy store so I thought it wasn't meant to cause change in water potential for some reason I am kicking myself now
    Don't worry I missed so many things I could've said - I'm sure what you wrote will give you enough marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09ekennedy)
    climate change and the increase in temp changes environmental conditions and therefore the lilly is unable to adapt to new environemental coniditons?...
    That's along the lines I was thinking, it said no human activities so I just thought of environmental stuff haha I really am not sure if it is right though

ReputationRep:
    but didnt the question refer to strucutre of glycogen and why its useful in animals?
    Yeah, so glucose being insoluble is an advantage because it doesn't effect the water potential of cells alongside being compact, having many ends/branches to which glucose can be attached or removed. They are highly efficient as energy storage molecules and can be broken down quickly to release energy when required.

ReputationRep:
    My revision guide definitely says glycogen is insoluble and I believe that this is helpful because it doesn't affect the water potential of the cell!

ReputationRep:
    Guys for questions 1 did part 2 talk about carbon, carboxylic group and oh in order ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenPF)
    My revision guide definitely says glycogen is insoluble and I believe that this is helpful because it doesn't affect the water potential of the cell!
    Yeah you're all right sorry that's another few marks I've lost

ReputationRep:
    Someone please make an unofficial markscheme I have definitely failed this one again!!:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    i said do random sampling sort of stuff in the plants natural habitat and measure soil moisture of where it grows best lol banter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redman789)
    i Worte they cause hydrolysis to occur to break the ester bonds bonds down would that be wrong
    This is exactly what i wrote! I said exactly the same thing as you haha

ReputationRep:
    no youor right i just wanted to clarify the statement :-)
    I think you could either write what they got wrong or write a corrected statement. It's been like that in past papers! I corrected the statements without directly referring to the mistakes. I hope it's like the previous markscheme or I've lost loads of marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrickvergara08)
    This is exactly what i wrote! I said exactly the same thing as you haha
    lol is it right tho ? thats the things lol

ReputationRep:
    said about the drug being a non competitve inhibitor and binds to allosteric site so the lipase enzymes cannot break down fat due to change in tertiary structure therefore chaning active site so ctive site and substrate (fat) no longer complementary
    I'm sure it's a competitive inhibitor because it said something like it directly affects fat breakdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetOverHere)
    I'm sure it's a competitive inhibitor because it said something like it directly affects fat breakdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I also put competitive inhibitor but I wasn't sure haha

ReputationRep:
    I also put competitive inhibitor but I wasn't sure haha
    I think the mark scheme would allow both competitive and non-competitive inhibitors as valid answers. Personally, I said it was competitive also!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M.Branson98)
    I think the mark scheme would allow both competitive and non-competitive inhibitors as valid answers. Personally, I said it was competitive also!
    Is this the question about medicine? I quoted the spec point regarding medicine working by inhibiting enzyme activity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark179)
    Is this the question about medicine? I quoted the spec point regarding medicine working by inhibiting enzyme activity
    I can't remember if it was a medicine or not, but it was some sort of drug. But yeah, that question

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an unofficial mark scheme for F212 resit???

ReputationRep:
    yeah guys ..... we got the F211 like with in a an hour

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.