Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Slice of Pi)
    Going off what people on here have said very few seem to have gotten above 55/75 but I have a bad feeling that the boundaries will not change much...
    nah Im sure alot of people would have gotten higher, and even those that thought they didnt do well would likely get around that or higher as the ms seem generous in places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    oh haha no problem But yea for one of the differential equations, an integration factor made u have to integrate e^2x sinx So you could either do 3 lines of working by IBP twice which some people considered "too hard" or apply some other method not on the spec like using complex numbers. But anyway I wouldnt worry about it now, just another insignificant Alevel exam
    You could also use the intended FP2 method which is CF/PI on the first order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You could also use the intended FP2 method which is CF/PI on the first order.
    oh yea, and that one

Have u done ur 2015 step mocks btw?

ReputationRep:
    oh yea, and that one

Have u done ur 2015 step mocks btw?
    I've been waking up so late that I haven't gotten any time to do any mocks recently. Still have 2014 and 2015 left. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    I've been waking up so late that I haven't gotten any time to do any mocks recently. Still have 2014 and 2015 left. :emo:
    oh haha well its not as tho u need them anyway. how late do u sleep in then!?!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I sort of accidentally woke up at 3 p.m today

don't judge

ReputationRep:
    Well mauritius is 5hrs forward and hes always online at 12 at night...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

don't judge
    haha wow! I got up at 9:30 today and thought that was bad XD
    but i mean effectively squeezing ur brain juice out for 3 straight hours for a step paper doesnt help the tiredness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Well mauritius is 5hrs forward and hes always online at 12 at night...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol hes probably trying to condition himself for the GMT timezone

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with a question about Q5 II 2015?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    For part (ii) I knew I wanted to show  \tan \alpha = \dfrac{1}{2n^{2}} given  \tan 2 \alpha = \dfrac{4n^{2}}{4n^{4}-1} . The markscheme goes through writing tan2a interms of tan a and solving the quadratic, however I knew that I wanted to be 1/2n^2 so I just subbed that into the tan double angle formula and verified we get the expression for tan 2a. Is this valid?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with a question about Q5 II 2015?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    For part (ii) I knew I wanted to show  \tan \alpha = \dfrac{1}{2n^{2}} given  \tan 2 \alpha = \dfrac{4n^{2}}{4n^{4}-1} . The markscheme goes through writing tan2a interms of tan a and solving the quadratic, however I knew that I wanted to be 1/2n^2 so I just subbed that into the tan double angle formula and verified we get the expression for tan 2a. Is this valid?
    Nope it isn't fully valid since we need to show that
    Spoiler:
    Show
    we need to show that 1/2n^2 is the only valid solution to this and we need a reason to discard the other solution.
    Manage the integral?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope it isn't fully valid since we need to show that
    Spoiler:
    Show
    we need to show that 1/2n^2 is the only valid solution to this and we need a reason to discard the other solution.
    Manage the integral?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show

ah ok, but even if I said something like 0<alpha<pi/2 (or equal to) and from the sketch of tanx there is clearly only 1 solution in this interval?

But yeah I liked the integral, was the first and fastest question I did Its ashame I didnt find all the others quite as straightforwards

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

don't judge
    I applaud you upholding the great and ancient traditions of student life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    I applaud you upholding the great and ancient traditions of student life.
    I'm presuming such luxuries aren't granted at Cambridge where it's 'sleep-in once and fail your degree'?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ah ok, but even if I said something like 0<alpha<pi/2 (or equal to) and from the sketch of tanx there is clearly only 1 solution in this interval?

But yeah I liked the integral, was the first and fastest question I did Its ashame I didnt find all the others quite as straightforwards
    That should work.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Try Q2, easiest question ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    STEP I 2014 looks like a lovely paper I'll clock it after my sosg roll

ReputationRep:
    That should work.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Try Q2, easiest question ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh lol sure it is! The only pure question I dont attempt during my mock is once again the easiest q ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KFazza)
    If either of you have a minute could you look at my last post? It's about the same Q
    Sure! I guess its on this thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KFazza)
    Step II 2015 Q5
    Spoiler:
    Show
    would I receive full marks for going back to induction to prove the Sn =arctan (n/n+1) and then using the arctan addition identity instead of messing around with the argument and periodicity like it did in the mark scheme?

I can't see why it wouldn't be valid, but it seems like the point of the part was to make sure you've thought about such things
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think you can do it by induction however I believe ud have to be careful in explaining it properly. e.g.  \arctan a + \arctan b = \arctan \dfrac{a+b}{1-ab} iff ab<1. This may be easier actually but I think youd still have to verify this quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think you can do it by induction however I believe ud have to be careful in explaining it properly. e.g.  \arctan a + \arctan b = \arctan \dfrac{a+b}{1-ab} iff ab<1. This may be easier actually but I think youd still have to verify this quickly.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    For Q4 last part, im getting the graph as on wolfram. and not like on the solution. Any clue ? thnx

How was the paer iyo ?

just done this couple of days ago

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.