TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Don't know about the rest of you but I've resigned my BMA membership, totally unacceptable from the BMA on how to handle a situation and frankly I've totally lost faith with them. The statement about individual responsibility absolutely highlights that.
    Same. Cancelled it when they called off IA. So much pontification, flip flopping and failure to represent my views. More has been achieved by grassroot efforts.

I honestly feel like the BMA has done more harm than good during this dispute.

(Original post by Brockle)
    Aha, oh yes. The other one is:
    "So, what brought you into hospital?"
    "An ambulance..."
    I've heard that so many times and I hardly have any clinical experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Same. Cancelled it when they called off IA. So much pontification, flip flopping and failure to represent my views. More has been achieved by grassroot efforts.

I honestly feel like the BMA has done more harm than good during this dispute.
    Agree, Ellen's stance on signing absolutely unacceptable stance for a trade union

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    *New student here btw*

Today we went to a surgery and someone asked a (volunteer) patient, what caused you to come here?

Answer: Because you called me here??

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
    "An ambulance..."
    Or my mess up the other day:

"A few Qs about your social life" -- thinking to ask about smoking, alcohol, occupation etc (normally say social history). Their response: I don't have one :P

ReputationRep:
    "An ambulance..."
    in my finals last year, had a really cute old guy that answered," to help some medical students pass their exams!"

It was a history station and he had written it all down and proceeded to recite from it directly without me having to ask anything else... Doubt the examiner was pleased *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaylain)
    in my finals last year, had a really cute old guy that answered," to help some medical students pass their exams!"

It was a history station and he had written it all down and proceeded to recite from it directly without me having to ask anything else... Doubt the examiner was pleased *
    Hahahaha that's great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Or my mess up the other day:

"A few Qs about your social life" -- thinking to ask about smoking, alcohol, occupation etc (normally say social history). Their response: I don't have one :P
    That's your punishment for bad wording!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    That's your punishment for bad wording!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know I thought I'd already made all the simple errors! Alas not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You'll be the complete opposite of every other FY I've ever met then! £25 cocktails and holidays to 4* hotels all round, it seemed last year. I managed to save around £15,000 (over 2 years) without much effort and whilst still paying for holidays, exams and a £3,000 postgraduate certificate. The average saved by others I've spoken to was a fat 0!
    Ah yes, I even no colleagues that are more in the red after a year of work! I really don't get it. Be then I live simply and likewise have similarly cheap housing costs £300 in hospital accommodation and now £430 all in for bills. I guess some people just want to go wild after 6 years of being poor, but it means they will be behind and complained about saving up a housing deposit no doubt. I had to stop one leaving the pension scheme too!

What cert cost £3k?!*

Really can't get back in to the swing of things. Leave placement as soon as I'm able and do no work when I get home. I have no motivation, just feel like I'm in limbo.

ReputationRep:
    Really can't get back in to the swing of things. Leave placement as soon as I'm able and do no work when I get home. I have no motivation, just feel like I'm in limbo.
    I felt like this for most of 5th year, my heart wasn't in attending seminars and my mind wandered when on placement and I went out far too much. You'll soon realise you need to check your attitude real quick otherwise you won't pass the year. I got a huge wakeup call about a month before my finals and now I'm a doctor but I could easily be repeating 5th year.

When the reality check comes calling make sure you answer but for now don't stress yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Really can't get back in to the swing of things. I have no motivation, just feel like I'm in limbo.
    Think about how hard 16/17 year old you worked to get where you are today. Then breakdown final year into manageable chunks in your mind and set mini milestones. Take one step at a time. You will get there!

ReputationRep:
    Spent 30 mins being signed off for venepuncture/BCs but other than that today has been a huge write off. Tried 4 different wards who had nothing going on, AMU 1 & A&E were too busy for a early clinical med student (fair enough), AMU 2 was too quiet (".... rare?"). One of those days where you really don't want to spend time reading but have little choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Spent 30 mins being signed off for venepuncture/BCs but other than that today has been a huge write off. Tried 4 different wards who had nothing going on, AMU 1 & A&E were too busy for a early clinical med student (fair enough), AMU 2 was too quiet (".... rare?". One of those days where you really don't want to spend time reading but have little choice
    I thought you were 2nd year? your on the wards in second year? Or have i mixed you up with someone else?

(Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I thought you were 2nd year? your on the wards in second year? Or have i mixed you up with someone else?
    2nd year GEM but we started on clinical stuff last year kind of in our transition to full time placements from now --> Christmas. Monday's our clinical day but I like to stick around even if it's meant to be self-directed learning time or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly not anonymous.

(Original post by Natalierm2707)
    snip
    snip

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to lose my stethoscope so need a replacement. I've been using a Littmann Classic II so far and have no complaints. Should I go for the same again, or the Classic III (or anything else?) 4th year student if that makes a difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Rumours that hunt is going to try to introduce 4 years conscription for med students post-graduation...

ReputationRep:
    Well the Foundation Programme application and how to rank these 21 deaneries is going to dominate my life for the next two weeks :eek3:

Rumours that hunt is going to try to introduce 4 years conscription for med students post-graduation...
    I'm calling dibs on the potential study that follows this, tentatively titled "The four year haemorrhage'.

ReputationRep:
    With free tuition and expenses paid for to reflect this commitment.
    /sarcasm

Where are the rumours coming from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.