The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing AQA History A and is doing or has done their controlled assessment on the Tatton mansion and the Egertons?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for posting again but is it possible the self learn maths? We don't have an actual maths teacher and we are learning nothing so I was wondering if I could teach it to myself. Would I have enough time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkypaz123)
    Sorry for posting again but is it possible the self learn maths? We don't have an actual maths teacher and we are learning nothing so I was wondering if I could teach it to myself. Would I have enough time?
    Yes it's possible and if you want some help I recommend Lemur14 and _gcx but ofc others would happily help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkypaz123)
    of course, maths is one of the easiest to do yourself thankfully

just go through the textbook, and from then it's just past paper after past paper, and you should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexren)
    Yeah I'm just starting mine at the moment! What's yours on? I'm doing Malcom X and MLK
    If you need some help feel free to pop in a PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    Yes it's possible and if you want some help I recommend Lemur14 and _gcx but ofc others would happily help.
    Thanks Jacky Pm me pinkypaz123 if you need any help

ReputationRep:
    For their history coursework, is there anyone doing the question 'To what extent is Kenilworth castle typical to the development of castles?' OCR Is my exam board by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tips on the seen poetry? Learning them and stuff, haven't learned any yet....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhasa91)
    Tips on the seen poetry? Learning them and stuff, haven't learned any yet....
    Memorise a few quotes for each poem. Analyse the quotes in deep. The questions are always quite predictable. For AQA it'll always be a comparison of a common theme between two poems, with one poem printed. You can do practice questions based on that template

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi!!

I'm Wen Qi!!
    I enjoy reading, sudoku, kenken (search it up, it's pretty fun), tennis, piano, violin, scrabble (when I feel like it), manga and anime. (#otaku)
    I'm taking 13 GCSEs but I've already taken 3 so that's 10 left for Year 11!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Subjects I'm taking this year:
    English Literature (AQA)
    English Language (AQA)
    Further Maths (CCEA)
    Biology (AQA)
    Chemistry (AQA)
    Physics (AQA)
    Economics (AQA)
    History (Edexcel)
    Computing (WJEC)
    Spanish (AQA)
    Subjects I've already taken:
    Arabic (B) [Hehe, I learnt the entire course in 4 months and scraped a B... Not too bad... ]
    Maths (A*) [I took an accelerated course and narrowly missed the 9-1 GCSE so I'm really pleased about that ]
    Statistics (A*)
    Honestly, I think I spend wayyyyy too much time reading manga and just messing about so no, I'm not ready for Year 11. If I actually stop procrastinating, I could actually get somewhere... haha...

For everyone out there, I HATE the new English GCSE... Why can't I just have coursework and a clean copy of the poem in the exam? (*sobs*)

My favourite subject is Maths and probably always will be... (although I don't like my teacher) The rest are kind of so-so. English is definitely not my favourite subject.

For A-Levels, I'm thinking Maths, Further Maths, Further Further Maths and Further Further Further Maths. Just kidding!
    I will definitely take Maths and Further Maths. Maybe Physics. And just because I need a written subject, I might go for Economics because I don't like English much and History gets a little repetitive (I mean, it's history)

I don't know what I want to be in the future yet.... so I'll just leave that for another day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wenqi.s)
    Hi!!
    And just because I need a written subject, I might go for Economics
    Why do you need a written subject? Whats wrong with picking all maths/sciences?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    Why do you need a written subject? Whats wrong with picking all maths/sciences?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's so that I'm not limited to just maths and sciences, just in case I feel like switching to something more... I don't know.. language based? My teachers are all gung-ho about taking an essay-based subject when all I want to do are maths and sciences and to be completely honest, Economics is pretty valued anyways...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wenqi.s)
    It's so that I'm not limited to just maths and sciences, just in case I feel like switching to something more... I don't know.. language based? My teachers are all gung-ho about taking an essay-based subject when all I want to do are maths and sciences and to be completely honest, Economics is pretty valued anyways...
    Okay, but don't feel pressured into taking a subject you don't want to take just because your teacher's or whoever want you to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    Okay, but don't feel pressured into taking a subject you don't want to take just because your teacher's or whoever want you to.
    Thanks for the concern but I genuinely enjoy that subject and I would have taken it even if my teachers or whoever didn't pressure me to take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Yep that's the same question as me. We haven't really done much research yet, we've literally researched key dates around that time lol. We have a double tomorrow where hopefully our teacher is back and we can make some progress (We've only had 2 hours with her so far due to various different things happening at school).
    I can't really say how I'm finding the question because of how littke we've done, but I'm happy with the topic so that's a good start though I'd rather talk about economic instability than political disorder.
    I wouldn't worry about how to structure your answer as I'm sure you will be guided through it, and if nothing ekse, all it is is a massive sclaed up 10 marker. You'll need plenty of points amd evidence but I'm sure you've already researched that
    I'm hoping for an A/A* as well, if nothing ekse but to pull up my exam grade, because I akways run out of time I ideally want all As/A*s plus the B I already have so I really need to work for that in history in particular.
    What other units are you doing?
    I'm doing
    International Relations: The interwar years 1919-1939 (which is actually really helpful for this coursework)
    USA:Land of the free? 1945-1975
    and British depth study 1890-1914 (I think that's the years anyway, lol)
    I've just had 2 lessons of the 'actual coursework' so far (so planning)- it's been quite good, just sorting through contextual knowledge and which sources to use (although the sources we've been given aren't the best).
    I'm sure you'll do great, good luck though! I'm the same in tests, I only just managed to finish history I also am really hoping for A*s in most things, with the exception to english (i find english impossible lol, hoping for a 6) maybe German (hoping for an A/A*) and the same for history (depending if its a nice exam paper )

I think for history I'm doing;
    International Relations: The Cold War 1945-1975
    The USA 1919-1941 depth study
    and How far did British society change? 1939-1975??? ( I think it's this one anyway- not sure as I'm starting this one after coursework)

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone who has their music composition graded give me an idea of the standard of mine? I'm really not sure what to add but it's due in two weeks! I'll PM anyone the link who asks! Please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissChameleon)
    Good luck to you too!

I'm doing Macbeth, Jekyll & Hyde and An Inspector Calls too. What do you think about them? I'm doing Relationships from the poetry anthology.
    I'm doing the same English Lit texts. I went back to read Jekyll & Hyde over the holidays (we did it at the very start of year 10) and I'd forgotten how difficult it was to understand Victorian language! At least with Shakespeare they translate it on the other side of the page!

I'm doing nine and a half GCSEs, and I've already done the half one.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Lit (AQA)
    English Lang (AQA)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    French (AQA)
    Spanish (AQA)
    Triple science (AQA)
    Geography (AQA)
    RS Paper B (AQA. Finished with Grade A* and 96 UMS)

Planned A-Levels:
    Government & Politics.
    Economics.
    French.

It would be good for my uni course to do Maths but I'm worried enough about the GCSE - I don't think I could stand doing it for A-Level, which has basically disqualified me from a good few universities.
    Oh well.

On the topic of maths, I really don't understand quadratic sequences or getting the minimum point of a graph from completing the square. I've talked to my teachers about it and even gone onto MyMaths (that's how distressed I am about this) but I can't understand it for the life of me. Any help?
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else thinking about taking english lit, history and politics at a-level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skiing Turtles)
    On the topic of maths, I really don't understand quadratic sequences or getting the minimum point of a graph from completing the square. I've talked to my teachers about it and even gone onto MyMaths (that's how distressed I am about this) but I can't understand it for the life of me. Any help?
    Cheers!
    For Min Turning points:
    Say you have the equation  y = x^2 + 4x + 1 , that can be written as:  y = (x+2)^2 -3 .
    To find the minimum turning point, you need find the point where y is at its lowest value. So therefore, you want the point where  (x+2)^2 - 3 is at its lowest value. You can't do anything about the "-3" bit, that's a constant, but what you can do is to make  (x+2)^2 as low as possible. You do that by making x = -2, so that you get  (-2+2)^2 = 0^2 , if x is any less, or any more, then you'll get a positive number for that part of the equation. The key is to make the value inside the brackets be 0.

So now you know x is -2, what is y? Well, you just plug in the values so you get  y = (-2+2)^2 - 3 = -3 , this is just the value outside the brackets. So the minimum turning point for  y = x^2 + 4x + 1 is  (-2, -3) . See if you can do the same for the maximum turning point of  y = -x^2 + 4x + 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skiing Turtles)
    I'm doing the same English Lit texts. I went back to read Jekyll & Hyde over the holidays (we did it at the very start of year 10) and I'd forgotten how difficult it was to understand Victorian language! At least with Shakespeare they translate it on the other side of the page!

I'm doing nine and a half GCSEs, and I've already done the half one.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Lit (AQA)
    English Lang (AQA)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    French (AQA)
    Spanish (AQA)
    Triple science (AQA)
    Geography (AQA)
    RS Paper B (AQA. Finished with Grade A* and 96 UMS)

Planned A-Levels:
    Government & Politics.
    Economics.
    French.

It would be good for my uni course to do Maths but I'm worried enough about the GCSE - I don't think I could stand doing it for A-Level, which has basically disqualified me from a good few universities.
    Oh well.

Cheers!
    Hi,

Nice to meet you! I just starting rereading Jekyll and Hyde. I also read it at the start of year 10, somehow my teacher felt we'd remember everything.

I understand the maths struggle. Tomorrow, I have a maths test on everything we've learnt. Do you have a mathswatch login? It saved my life last year. Bitesize can be useful also and I recommend getting a revision guide - I have the CGP 9-1 revision guide.

I don't think I'm qualified to help anyone with quadratic sequences since I've already forgotton it but here's the bitesize link for quadratic sequences: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...quadrev1.shtml

Hope this helps

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.