Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Language B - ENB5 - The Big Pre-release Thread! watch

• View Poll Results: Which pack of pre-release are you focusing on?
    The Pendle Witches
    27.43%
    Dyslexia
    41.59%
    Both
    30.97%

ReputationRep:
    COMMENTARY.
    This is your opportunity to meet the assessment objective ‘discuss and explore concepts and issues relating to language in use’.
    Don’t do framework by framework.

How did you ensure cohesion: demonstrate how you did this (syntactic, lexical and stylistic cohesion).

Focus on discourse: How have you created the voice based on GAP? 3 or 4 specific ways in how you created this voice, noting why different in places.

How have you maintained generic conventions?

How is it original?

Selection of material

Structure

Register/tone
    Lexis

Voice

Illustration

Layout

ReputationRep:
    When I looked at the Grade A scripts:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/ENB5-...RT-BOOKLET.PDF

it seemed that the highest mark one didn't use the first person for the most part i.e. 'I' is only used once or twice in the commentary.

Important ideas for the commentary: outline the purpose, audience and genre (that you've gained from the question) and outline how you've achieved your goals/aims of the piece of writing. Then really it is the stuff from Vixen_rm, just really relevant factors and what effects they had. What difficulties you had and how you attempted to overcome them.

Hope this helps (i'm brickin' it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomTre)
    When I looked at the Grade A scripts:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/ENB5-...RT-BOOKLET.PDF

it seemed that the highest mark one didn't use the first person for the most part i.e. 'I' is only used once or twice in the commentary.

Important ideas for the commentary: outline the purpose, audience and genre (that you've gained from the question) and outline how you've achieved your goals/aims of the piece of writing. Then really it is the stuff from Vixen_rm, just really relevant factors and what effects they had. What difficulties you had and how you attempted to overcome them.

Hope this helps (i'm brickin' it)
    o right thank u, yeah same the commentary isnt alot of marks but if we right it properly its a easy 10 marks reallly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _lirael_)
    i cant get bette midlers mangy face out my head, stupid hocus pocus loada crapola. good luck you guys, im off to scoff my face with dairy milk.
    Same effect as me, but instead I've got a song by Steeleye Span in my head.. "Alison Gross, she must be, the ugliest witch in the north country!" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I was wondering...should a Radio 4 script come up for dyslexia (I've placed way too much emphasis on this Let's hope it comes up!) would I be able to add a person who has dyslexia into the radio programme, and use some of the opinions used in the source materials? For example, could I say "well one of the most unnerving things about being dyslexic is that people often thought I was 'thick' or 'lazy' when I was at school..." coming from a few sources, but primarily the poem written by the dyslexic child?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you'd be able to. If it was me, i'd do it as a pre-recorded section of people commenting on their own dyslexia.

Have you listened to the radio 4 show on dyslexia that was posted much earlier in this thread? There is an interview in it so after the presenter speaks you could put something like:

(pre-recorded interview with dyslexic children)
    and then you would do a transcript of the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Infact you could put it as 'We spoke to some children who suffer from dyslexia on what it means to them and how they cope with it..'

'We spoke' indicates that it's pre-recorded so you could just write it out without the need to indicate in brackets.

ReputationRep:
    Hey morning everyone,
    just wondering what people are taking into the exam? Obviously pens, pencils, ruler, but are people taking in highlighters? Anything else?

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna take glue and scissors in as well, just incase i need to cut anything out of the packs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer_Lovin)
    Hey morning everyone,
    just wondering what people are taking into the exam? Obviously pens, pencils, ruler, but are people taking in highlighters? Anything else?
    I'm taking a highlighter, yeah, just to make note of the purpose, genre and audience in the questions. Not taking anything else though, just myself. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Ok good idea, thanks. Good Luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Echoplex)
    I'm pretty sure you'd be able to. If it was me, i'd do it as a pre-recorded section of people commenting on their own dyslexia.

Have you listened to the radio 4 show on dyslexia that was posted much earlier in this thread? There is an interview in it so after the presenter speaks you could put something like:

(pre-recorded interview with dyslexic children)
    and then you would do a transcript of the interview.
    Ahh, I see! I've been on the radio 4 website and listened to two short dyslexia shows on Woman's Hour. I found them very helpful! I just wasn't sure whether it was permissible to adopt others' views as anothers.:p: Thanks!

Reppage for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer_Lovin)
    Hey morning everyone,
    high lighters deffo, ive highlighed most of my notes anyway lol. erm yeah rulers pencils things like that. if there were alot of pics it would have been good to take scissors and glue, so we could cut n stick if we were asked to make a leaflet or web for example. but thats time wasting really u can just alocate the pages and texts.

ReputationRep:
    I thought we are provided with glue? it is a school after all! Good luck people!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooner)
    Ahh, I see! I've been on the radio 4 website and listened to two short dyslexia shows on Woman's Hour. I found them very helpful! I just wasn't sure whether it was permissible to adopt others' views as anothers.:p: Thanks!

Reppage for you!
    You're welcome

Another good thing to look at if you haven't already is the link someone posted above (http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/ENB5-...RT-BOOKLET.PDF) as there is a radio script in it. It's a radio 1 script so not the most useful thing but it has pre-recorded speech in it (with Michael Eavis) and I found it useful to see how they approached the script and it's quite simple.

Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    I thought we are provided with glue? it is a school after all! Good luck people!!
    Surely that depends on your school.

I wouldn't rely on my college for anything. They can barely find a glue stick for you in an art class or an art exam so I wouldn't rely on one appearing in an English exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Echoplex)
    You're welcome

Another good thing to look at if you haven't already is the link someone posted above (http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/ENB5-...RT-BOOKLET.PDF) as there is a radio script in it. It's a radio 1 script so not the most useful thing but it has pre-recorded speech in it (with Michael Eavis) and I found it useful to see how they approached the script and it's quite simple.

Good luck everyone
    Oooh yeah! I've read that one Thanks for the link though:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    My heart's already pounding about this - this is one of the reasons i dislike the English exams, i prefer to thoroughly prepare before an exam, but you can't really - it annoys me.

It's absolutely stupid having the ENB6 on Thursday as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomTre)
    My heart's already pounding about this - this is one of the reasons i dislike the English exams, i prefer to thoroughly prepare before an exam, but you can't really - it annoys me.

It's absolutely stupid having the ENB6 on Thursday as well.
    Aw, don't worry about it! As long as you read the question and can write well enough you should be fine. Tbh, this exam to me is much more about english language than ENB6 is. I'm feeling happy about this one! ENB6 is where it's going to go wrong for me (stupid student teachers)

ReputationRep:
    Well because ENB1 was a disaster as far as i'm concerned (because the teacher didn't teach some key stuff about what to write in the exam), i'm checking specifications and subject content and all that for both exams.

In 4 and a half hours this exam will all be over YAY

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.