UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

Danielisew
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mathematician!)
UKCAT doesn't matter too much. Don't worry about it. If you get all A predictions for A2 Level they will FORGET about your UKCAT altogether!
Do you NEED to get all A predictions or can you get AAB? Most of them offer AAB but do you need AAA predictions and then the uni may offer you AAB?
i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Quite a few medical schools this year are using it as a primary source to select applicants for interview screening before even looking at the personal statement which is why I feel it is important for me to reconsider my choices and be careful of where I apply to.
Danielisew
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok. Do you know any medical schools in particular? Seems a bit stupid considering 85% of offers from any university are AAB..
Kinkerz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't worry about it. If you get all A predictions for A2 Level they will FORGET about your UKCAT altogether!
Sorry, but it doesn't work like that. They don't just forget about one area of your application because another area is good. Each section of your application counts, some more than others. In my opinion, the personal statement and A2 predictions are the two most important factors! But GCSE grades, UKCAT/BMAT score and referee statement are all important, and an awesome PS, A*s an As at GCSE and AAA predictions won't make a poor UKCAT/BMAT score disappear completely - although it will help!

I have a shocker of a UKCAT score, and i'm hoping that other aspects of my application dilute the impact of it. But the unis won't simply ignore it...
jjkkll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kinkerz)
Sorry, but it doesn't work like that. They don't just forget about one area of your application because another area is good. Each section of your application counts, some more than others. In my opinion, the personal statement and A2 predictions are the two most important factors! But GCSE grades, UKCAT/BMAT score and referee statement are all important, and an awesome PS, A*s an As at GCSE and AAA predictions won't make a poor UKCAT/BMAT score disappear completely - although it will help!

I have a shocker of a UKCAT score, and i'm hoping that other aspects of my application dilute the impact of it. But the unis won't simply ignore it...

i did worse than you, however the fact that you still think your score is shoker just means you have'nt realised that the average is 500-700.

to put that another way the pass score for the theory is 43/50 meaning that most people who take the test will get 43/50 or above. The averages of most tests is the pass score.

You did your best you got an average score, yes there are people who have better scores than you and me and everyone else who scores 650 land lower, but there will always be better applicants than almost everyone else who applys in at least one applicant, just find something that you have that someone else dosnt have and amplyfy that in your personal statement, that is its purpose after all.
Hyeree
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you guys are making me nervous
oh well ill take it as it comes i suppose.. it's still a long way off to september...
bleugh ... urgh i hate aptitude tests , they are like iq tests that matter!!
Eden01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
I've ruled out ICL so I'm left with UCL, King's, and Manchester. I'm not too happy applying to King's with my UKCAT when they are using it significantly to select candidates for first interviews.

I emailed Kings about the UKCAT cut-off score if they have one or had one last year:
"We do not have any cut-off score for the UKCAT test, we only use it in conjunction with the other areas of your application form."

Just make sure you get all the other goods (i.e work exp, grades, etc etc) to make you really stand out! You're still in the average!! :yep:
Eden01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Medicine Man)
its not set in stone - just what i heard.
pls pls pls pls take this with a pinch of salt - thats what i did!
Thanks Med Man
Mathematician!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kinkerz)

My sister's friend got a low mark (lower than you) in her UKCAT. However, she did extremely well in her AS and A2 levels, as well as her GCSEs. She got a place for Medicine. So the UKCAT isn't as important as most people make it out to be.
Mathematician!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Eden01)
I emailed Kings about the UKCAT cut-off score if they have one or had one last year:
"We do not have any cut-off score for the UKCAT test, we only use it in conjunction with the other areas of your application form."

Just make sure you get all the other goods (i.e work exp, grades, etc etc) to make you really stand out! You're still in the average!! :yep:
Finally... Someone confirms what I was saying... I got below average anyway (590 score).
Kinkerz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jjkkll)
i did worse than you, however the fact that you still think your score is shoker just means you have'nt realised that the average is 500-700.

to put that another way the pass score for the theory is 43/50 meaning that most people who take the test will get 43/50 or above. The averages of most tests is the pass score.

You did your best you got an average score, yes there are people who have better scores than you and me and everyone else who scores 650 land lower, but there will always be better applicants than almost everyone else who applys in at least one applicant, just find something that you have that someone else dosnt have and amplyfy that in your personal statement, that is its purpose after all.
500-700 is not the average. It's the the bracket that people's scores end up in. 600 is the average score. So we're around 70/75 points below average. It doesn't help the application.
Kinkerz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My sister's friend got a low mark (lower than you) in her UKCAT. However, she did extremely well in her AS and A2 levels, as well as her GCSEs. She got a place for Medicine. So the UKCAT isn't as important as most people make it out to be.
I actually said that it's nowhere near as important as the PS and predicted A2s... But it is still part of the application, so is therefore, still important.
Danielisew
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do you need predictions to be AAA even if you get AAB? I don't get it as 90% of offers are AAB anyway..would they ever offer you AAA?
JOYEESANG
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You need AAA predictions as most candidates will have this. The predictions always need to be higher than the actual offer they give you because there is always a chance of students slipping a grade below their predictions, e.g. if prediction AAB, then some will get ABB on results day, which is lower than their required offer.
Kinkerz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielisew)
Do you need predictions to be AAA even if you get AAB? I don't get it as 90% of offers are AAB anyway..would they ever offer you AAA?
You don't need your predictions to be AAA. Plenty of aplicants get offers every year with A2 predictions of AAB.
An AAA prediction is just helpful..
Danielisew
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah but if you're predicted AAA, they may offer you AAA? Or is that really unlikely? I think I will get the As in chem and bio but with maths.. I don't think so..
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielisew)
Yeah but if you're predicted AAA, they may offer you AAA? Or is that really unlikely? I think I will get the As in chem and bio but with maths.. I don't think so..
depends where you apply...oxbridge, edinburgh, belfast, dundee, newcastle and maybe some others will require you to get AAA unless you're outstanding and may offer you a UC where you can get like 3 E's. for other uni's it's AAB.
badger stripes
Report 10 years ago
... after reading everyones posts and stuff, i feel a bit down, because i worked really hard and got the best GCSE results in my school, but at college, before we started they gave us a sheet saying what we should be gettin based on GCSE alone and i expected al As but it was AAAB. and, now that i want to do medicine, im finding that unis like birmingham want 7 A*s and stuff ... its just got me a lil depressed, i worked really hard and it still doesnt seem to be good enough
Danielisew
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not going for any of the AAA universities.. Probs soton, bristol, manchester and leeds/liverpool.
Danielisew
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by badger stripes)
... after reading everyones posts and stuff, i feel a bit down, because i worked really hard and got the best GCSE results in my school, but at college, before we started they gave us a sheet saying what we should be gettin based on GCSE alone and i expected al As but it was AAAB. and, now that i want to do medicine, im finding that unis like birmingham want 7 A*s and stuff ... its just got me a lil depressed, i worked really hard and it still doesnt seem to be good enough
I think Birmingham has the highest requirements for GCSEs.. A lot of them say Bs in subjects or at least 5 A/A*s but obviously the better the grades - the higher the chance of them giving you an offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads