OCR Economics Synoptic 2888 June 09 - YOUR GAME PLAN?! Watch

Hanoi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ND6)
how about if u get the diagram wrong? will you lose marks or will they kind of ignore it but not really e.g. i drew demand shifting to the right for the negative externality diagram but still wrote over cons/prod underneath. Also for the ETS diagram i didnt draw the supply curves as vertical. but just as inelastic supply curves. Will i lose marks or simply not get given them.
You won't lose marks since there's no negative marking, it will just be ignored but it helps to show to the examiner that you know what you're talking about.
Virus.exe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So annoyed that the subsidy question was so unclear! I mean wtf, I could've written so much more if I had interpreted the question in a different manner. There goes my A
nick-33
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Virus.exe)
So annoyed that the subsidy question was so unclear! I mean wtf, I could've written so much more if I had interpreted the question in a different manner. There goes my A
I think they should allow both. I would have been able to write more (and would have felt better about it now) had they made it clear. It isn't clear from the question which way it is, like if they were actually saying the question out loud they way you'd interpret in would be decided by how they said it..if you know what i mean :P

Bit annoying really, but lets all just be happy it wasn't the 20 mark i spose..

Surely they wouldnt have included so much on biofuels and their impact if they were going to ask a question so narrowly about subsidies? (obv you can talk about the biofuels pro/cons in the evaluation but still!)
thenewromance
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rob_dob)
The feedback from my class mates is that there' about a 50/50 split who answered that q on pros and cons of biofuels and on the case for a subsidy, and TSR is roughly along the same lines from what I've read. They're not going to fail 50% of candidates on that q because they interpreted an open and almost vague question differently. I'm pretty sure they'll take answers along both lines. I did analysis of subsidies but did my evaluation on the pros and cons of biofuels. If it were purely on subsidies it would be in the realms of 2862 which is hardly a synoptic module. So you have nothing to worry about
This is pretty much what I did.
Meenapixi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I didn't finish the last 20 mark question! but I did get a diagram and some evaluation in so I'm hoping thats got me an instant 7 marks!...I was really happy with the 10 mark and 15 mark questions though
thewait
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Finally woke up after having only 5 hours a sleep for the last 2 days. Thought the paper was alright the last question was nice, did that 1 first wrote about 3 pages on it. Also put in the D&S diagram for ETS and then when talking about the alternatives put the negative externalities diagram for the green taxes.

Only complaint had witht the paper was didn't actually get to evaluate my 15 marks question as run out of time, and for the demand and supply diagram my mind went actually blank and don't think i actually analyzed it. Just explained my diagram, apart from that everything was alright. Who else thinks OCR going to raise the grade boundaries, because this actually seemed like a 2882 paper rather than 2888.
joeyyyt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For those wondering where all the marks were on 1b. our school was taught about dynamic price instability and the cobweb theorem? It explains the LR effects of the release of buffer stocks, thats what we did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vixHc37DII

Also jumping ono the subsidy/biofuel question just to see what side i'm on, i talked about the subsidy explained it, explained the adv and dis like what size, budget cuts elsewhere, then talked about LR hidden costs of biofuels, food price inflation and increased neg ext from the greenhouse gases. Whose side am i on!?
nick-33
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by joeyyyt)
For those wondering where all the marks were on 1b. our school was taught about dynamic price instability and the cobweb theorem? It explains the LR effects of the release of buffer stocks, thats what we did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vixHc37DII

Also jumping ono the subsidy/biofuel question just to see what side i'm on, i talked about the subsidy explained it, explained the adv and dis like what size, budget cuts elsewhere, then talked about LR hidden costs of biofuels, food price inflation and increased neg ext from the greenhouse gases. Whose side am i on!?
Lucky for you you covered both bases.
Hanoi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oh ****.
cheguevara
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I ****** up my LSE offer too man!....Just got my accommodation offer....when i am not going!
pavail123
Report 9 years ago
VINSTA

welll subsidy given to farmers... can also lead to market failure.. therefore social cost exceeds private cost.. and thats the diagram i drawn in my conclusion... what did u ryt????
pavail123
Report 9 years ago
for subsidy sshift to right in supply is ok...
Hanoi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cheguevara)
I ****** up my LSE offer too man!....Just got my accommodation offer....when i am not going!
lol same...I hope I get the £200 deposit back. :cry:
vinsta
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by pavail123)
VINSTA

welll subsidy given to farmers... can also lead to market failure.. therefore social cost exceeds private cost.. and thats the diagram i drawn in my conclusion... what did u ryt????
Yeah, shifted private costs to the right. Is that what you did?
i wrote mainly about subsidies and their impact, but also included the starvation stuff for developing countries.
pavail123
Report 9 years ago
vinsta
Overlord in Training Join Date: Jun 2007
My Societies

Re: OCR Economics Synoptic 2888 June 09 - YOUR GAME PLAN?!

Originally Posted by pavail123
VINSTA

Yeah, shifted private costs to the right. Is that what you did?
i wrote mainly about subsidies and their impact, but also included the starvation stuff for developing countries

yhhhh private costs to the right. and social cost to its left.. because its a negative externalities... meaning.... social optimum is not being fulfilled......and what impact it myt have on society........ we,l get good evaluative marks for that... cuz that was microeconomics and we applying micro economics to it..

i got transport unit noww... ******** itt... i got a U in it haha.. i mentioned regressive effects on low income families and linked it to russia...... cuz in russia they spend 75% of thier income on food... therefore they wl have less disposable income.. i think i myt scrape a A or a B ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (162)
26.87%
No (441)
73.13%

Watched Threads