Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Labour Party Q&A Thread - Ask/Join here! watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You mean you haven't contacted then in the same way you definitely got Toronto's permission to join labour

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Currently my circumstances have not changed. I have not been in contact with anyone at all.
    Do you just want me back in government

ReputationRep:
    I am not surprised to see a highly illiberal member leaving the Liberal Party after a very short stay, which is not enough to gain experience of the Liberal Party: by Aph's own admittance anything under six months is not long enough to gain experience. I am not shocked to see Liberal leadership is in a chaotic state with no checks being conducted to see if the Liberal member is part of another party before leaving, and Labour's new leader is proving to not have a grasp on what happens.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Currently my circumstances have not changed. I have not been in contact with anyone at all.
    Do you just want me back in government
    Which is why I have correspondence to the contrary. Again, yesterday you said you had permission from Toronto who came straight out and **** slapped you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I am not surprised to see a highly illiberal member leaving the Liberal Party after a very short stay, which is not enough to gain experience of the Liberal Party: by Aph's own admittance anything under six months is not long enough to gain experience. I am not shocked to see Liberal leadership is in a chaotic state with no checks being conducted to see if the Liberal member is part of another party before leaving, and Labour's new leader is proving to not have a grasp on what happens.
    As has been made abundantly clear several times, I allowed Aph to stay in the party for the rest of the day to say his goodbyes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wait, you're supposed to get the speakers permission before you change parties?? oops...

Also I don't understand how some people seem to know the ins and outs of what is going on in other parties, I'm always so out of the loop.

(Original post by Aph)
    Most are too liberal and I don't have an amazing working relationship with them, plus they look like they might be dying...
    Apart from the fact that we have just recently gained 3 more seats in the general election to take us to 5, still have competition for seats in the party (hence why I'm only a proxy), and have put out more bills than any other party this term? Okay then
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    Wait, you're supposed to get the speakers permission before you change parties?? oops...

Also I don't understand how some people seem to know the ins and outs of what is going on in other parties, I'm always so out of the loop.

Apart from the fact that we have just recently gained 3 more seats in the general election to take us to 5, still have competition for seats in the party (hence why I'm only a proxy), and have put out more bills than any other party this term? Okay then
    You have to have the speakers permission to be in two parties at once. Aph was still saying goodbyes when he joined Labour so was in two Usergroups at once.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by cBay)

Not if you change, but if you want to be dual member.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    You have to have the speakers permission to be in two parties at once. Aph was still saying goodbyes when he joined Labour so was in two Usergroups at once.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, clearly he should have left the Liberals before joining Labour. A small mistake, no big deal. Is there any real need for all the commotion and everyone else to get involved?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)

I wouldn't say it's hard to have high output when it doesn't pass, you just write a few lines on just about anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Which is why I have correspondence to the contrary. Again, yesterday you said you had permission from Toronto who came straight out and **** slapped you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well you have faulty Intel then because I haven't been in contact with the Nat libs at this time.
    And I assumed I had permission because he hadn't complained.
    (Original post by cBay)

Nope, there is a massive mountain being made out of this molehill.

Dupes and spies.

Because one of your big guns is leaving or apears to be yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    not our fault the mhoc is filled with a bunch of irrational idiots.
    That was mean

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    That was mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? I was going to say cretins but I thought I should tone it down
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well you have faulty Intel then because I haven't been in contact with the Nat libs at this time.
    And I assumed I had permission because he hadn't complained.

Nope, there is a massive mountain being made out of this molehill.

Dupes and spies.

Because one of your big guns is leaving or apears to be yes.
    Your parents don't tell you that you can't borrow their car fur the evening, you take it anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Your parents don't tell you that you can't borrow their car fur the evening, you take it anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If they see me take the keys, go to the car and start the engine and don't tell me not to then yes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Most are too liberal and I don't have an amazing working relationship with them, plus they look like they might be dying...
    Liberal as in libertarian?

I'd disagree there...

And there...we've had an influx of over 15 members since last term. If anything we're growing. All of our "leadership" and MPs are new members (here less than a year).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    If they see me take the keys, go to the car and start the engine and don't tell me not to then yes.
    So you expect Toronto to be keeping tabs on every single member and what they're doing 24/7?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Liberal as in libertarian?

I'd disagree there...

And there...we've had an influx of over 15 members since last term. If anything we're growing. All of our "leadership" and MPs are new members (here less than a year).
    No, liberal as in not authoritarian, so closer to anarcho-soc...
    So you expect Toronto to be keeping tabs on every single member and what they're doing 24/7?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We had a fairly lengthy chat in the liberal thread after I had anounced my resignation, joined labour and petros had given me permission to stay... It was a reasonable assumption I belive.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    No, liberal as in not authoritarian, so closer to anarcho-soc...

We had a fairly lengthy chat in the liberal thread after I had anounced my resignation, joined labour and petros had given me permission to stay... It was a reasonable assumption I belive.
    So it was too difficult for you to write a couple of lines to get confirmation? Also was Toronto around at this point because unlike us he isn't here 24/7

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Okay, I'll be frank.

I really like Aph. I completely understand him defecting and it was all nice, civil and open.

Then, you lot treated him like crap. I honestly don't care how much of a misunderstanding or whatever there was, but allowing someone in and then kicking them out straight away is not on.

And then Cranbrooks resignation. I don't know the details as only I've been out since last night and haven't really had a chance to check, but that's a great chair you had there that ended up resigning because of this absolute mishap.

Labour have shown a real lack of class I don't expect from them. I hope for all your members that this is a one off, but it absolutely reeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's disappointing that you've decided to weigh in on this despite being woefully misinformed, and I'd argue that such a statement indeed shows "a real lack of class".

Aph is a very controversial member in the house in general, but particularly so in Labour, against whom he has behaved less than favourably. QQ and Cranbrook are clearly unaware of this, so I can see why Aph was admitted. I think it's a huge mistake not consulting the party at large, but it happens. Once the party found out, Aph was rightly removed so a proper discussion could be had. Nothing untoward there.

Cranbrook completely pre-empted any kind of proper criticism by calling for a motion of confidence. He was not prompted to do so, and I doubt one would have been called otherwise. However, he did, and faced robust criticism, some of it disputed by both sides. He then decided to resign rather than face the vote, again pre-emptively. I commend the decision putting ones own mental health before anything else.

Again, really disappointed with your bravado-laden character-assassination of the party.

(Original post by Tawheed)
    What's with the blairite coup against corbyn?

Liz Kendall, got 4% of the vote, and was arguably the most blairite candidate, compared to corbyn's almost 60% vote, in a four way race, which is a massive mandate.

The labour party have had enough for regime change, being America's lapdog, social and economic inequality, etc.

It's not that the public doesn't trust labour. It's that, media, owned by rich billionare moguls appeal to low information voters, scae them, and who sadly, make up a bulk of people who vote.
    Jeez, where to start with this one. Blairite coup? Where?

The public doesn't trust Labour, at least not right now. I didn't trust it enough in 2015 and the new leadership has not solved the issue.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    So it was too difficult for you to write a couple of lines to get confirmation? Also was Toronto around at this point because unlike us he isn't here 24/7

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Didn't think about it because it was a tiny amount of time... I will do in the future

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.