The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by enaayrah
This may be because of a lack of sleep but I actually feel hopeless about everything

amen to that :frown: I am freaking out slightly :/
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

You took a note from.my book and did a all nighter?

Oh no, I didn't spend all night revising, I just couldn't sleep
Original post by antisansculotte
Definitely feeling pessimistic about UMS percentages here.

Original post by C0balt
After that C1 everything has been sucked out it seems
Today in C2 mock I doubted if I my brain was still mine...:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by thechemistress
amen to that :frown: I am freaking out slightly :/

:frown: It's not about UMS or Cambridge specifically, I'm just feeling hopeless about everything.
Original post by BBeyond
do i have any chance with cambridge maths if i dropped 2/3 marks on c1 aha absolute shambles

Absolutely not. They're going to reject you straight away for that :lol: ofc you do, apparently C1 is a lot of people's worst module so I wouldn't worry too much about it :h:
:frown: It's not about UMS or Cambridge specifically, I'm just feeling hopeless about everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are your dopamine receptors working alright? :hmmm:.
Absolutely not. They're going to reject you straight away for that :lol: ofc you do, apparently C1 is a lot of people's worst module so I wouldn't worry too much about it :h:

yeah i made the dumbest mistake ever which is so frustrating :frown:
Original post by BBeyond

haha, what did you do?
it can't be worse than my mistake- I wrote that root 2 * root 2 is equal to four :facepalm:
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Are your dopamine receptors working alright? :hmmm:.

I don't even know
haha, what did you do?
it can't be worse than my mistake- I wrote that root 2 * root 2 is equal to four :facepalm:

lmao it's probably on par aha

I said that the solutions to (2x+1)(x+4) were 1/2 and 4 don't even know what was going through my brain obviously nothing
Original post by BBeyond

I subtracted when I should have added :colonhash:
haha, what did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine was worse. I forget to mention stretch, so I said the graph transformed by a SF of 1/3.Doh.
I subtracted when I should have added :colonhash:

you see this is the problem, exams test how good you are under pressure/how good you are at not making mistakes rather than how good your knowledge is :/ at least at the higher end of the spectrum
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BBeyond
you see this is the problem, exams test how good you are under pressure/how good you are at not making mistakes rather than how good your knowledge is :/

Definitely :frown:

At least I did better on the C1 real exam than a recent mock though :lol:
Original post by BBeyond
you see this is the problem, exams test how good you are under pressure/how good you are at not making mistakes rather than how good your knowledge is :/

Fairest way to assess, coursework is too easy to cheat on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TirnanF
Fairest way to assess, coursework is too easy to cheat on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah it is but it still doesn't make it a perfect way

Definitely :frown:

At least I did better on the C1 real exam than a recent mock though :lol:

haha what did you get?
Wow, you've done loads! You're definitely a strong applicant xD the vitalise thing sounds pretty good :biggrin:

In terms of work experience, I've not got a lot. I have a week up in Manchester general hospital, a couple of days in John Radcliffe hospital, about a week in sobell house hospice shadowing a doctor. This summer, I have a week in Manchester uni in their biochem/Chem lab and then another week in John Radcliffe hospital.
Volunteering- I volunteer at a care home once a week, I run a children's liturgy group at my church, I volunteer with a 19 year old disabled boy, just helping him to improve his reading and comprehension skills. I also mentor a child in year 7, although I'm stopping soon and I volunteer with my church's charity regularly- most recently we made lunch to raise money for suffering Dominican sisters in Iraq. I'm involved with two student-run volunteering organisations, the first of which I was a co-founder. Volunteer with them on a fairly regular basis too. I do a fair amount of charity work, raised money for great ormonds street etc etc cba to type any more :lol: Starting some more volunteering stuff this summer, volunteering in a school for disabled children, helping them swim and I'm volunteering in the John Radcliffe too.
Extracurriculars- I'm kinda lacking there, I feel. I play netball competitively. I used to swim, but I stopped because of GCSEs. I do a lot of stage management and technical work for theatrical productions. Problem is, I don't really know what counts as an extra-curricular :lol: do we mention Olympiads or not on our personal statement?

Yeah, bought my UKCAT/BMAT books a while ago, but I haven't used them yet. I also got this small book about medical ethics- apparently it's good?
How about you?
As for unis, Bristol, Kings, Durham and maybe Imperial are looking quite good right now :biggrin: you?

Wowow :eek:, I'm gonna mirror Anti-Dirac's reaction here, I feel way way outclassed :tongue:. Honestly, that is amazing all the stuff you've done!! I'm just worried for you cos clearly the PS is going to be far too small to put down everything you're doing haha. You're definitely a far stronger applicant than me for sure XD (thanks for that compliment btw :colondollar:) but the only issue is I've heard Cambridge don't look at PS as much as other unis do, like Bristol I know adores them and so do King's. I'm hoping for more academic achievements to make up for defeciencies in Extra-Curriculars, like I'm sure olympiads and things will go but hopefully some academic project? I know Cambridge love that sort of thing. I'm also going to apply Birmingham, Southampton and UCL but all of that depends a lot on my UKCAT score and things which I have to start preparing for. The ethics book is good, I've ordered it along with some other stuff but I think we only need to start preparing properly in the summer.

Feeling a bit worried now after having seen your achievements... :tongue:
Original post by BBeyond
you see this is the problem, exams test how good you are under pressure/how good you are at not making mistakes rather than how good your knowledge is :/ at least at the higher end of the spectrum

One thing I find really useful (and probably the main reason I really don't get stressed about exams) is to remember that, assuming you have prepared properly, they cannot ask you a single question on something that you don't know how to do. They might ask you something in a weird way but at the end of the day it has to be something you know, you just have to work out what they want you to do. Yes you can still make stupid mistakes but you generally make less if you are calm in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BBeyond
lmao it's probably on par ahaI said that the solutions to (2x+1)(x+4) were 1/2 and 4 don't even know what was going through my brain obviously nothing

Loooool xD Okay I see why you're annoyed. That's fine though, you only lost a few marks :h:

Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR MobileMine was worse. I forget to mention stretch, so I said the graph transformed by a SF of 1/3.Doh.

ahah, I think exams just bring out the worst in us, in terms of silly mistakes :lol:

You know, if you're feeling too stressed or anything, if you need a chat or to vent, you can always PM me, I'm all ears :tongue:
Original post by BBeyond
yeah it is but it still doesn't make it a perfect way

haha what did you get?
:teehee: It's too embarassing to say, but I've definitely done much better in the actual one. I'm hoping that I'm atleast over 93% :tongue: