The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Has everyone got all of their offers?
Original post by JustaDreamer
Haha ikr, when I got glasses for the first time I was like 'Wow, I can actually see my friends' faces without looking like I've swallowed a lemon' Um it's about average, -1.75 and -2.25. What about you?

I'm -2.75 in both now D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skill Twix

Got all of my replies in November but it was only 4 offers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skill Twix

Nopeeeeeeeeeeeee

St Andrews left
I've feel right about posting in here because I'm in year 14 (which is year 13 in England).

Anywho, hi!
Original post by rachelc142
Ah thankyou, it actually wasn't too bad, hopeful for an A/B :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oo nice one! Glad it went well for you! :smile:
Original post by crozibear96
I've feel right about posting in here because I'm in year 14 (which is year 13 in England).

Anywho, hi!

Heyyyy!
Original post by OhGod
Heyyyy!

Heyyy, Oh God!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by rachelc142
I'm -2.75 in both now D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown: It's a pain. Myopia does tend to get worse as you grow so hopefully it should stabilise somepoint after you turn 20.
But I'm not an expert guys :redface:

Original post by Bude8
I have no idea what any of this means but...
I don't have any numbers in the 'Near' row but in the 'Distance row':

Right:
Sph -1.50
Cyl -0.50
Axis 165.0

Left:
Sph -1.25
Cyl -0.50
Axis 170.0

Sph is Sphere, the 'power' of your lenses (measured in diopters) needed to correct your vision. The larger the negative number, the more short-sighted you are. Likewise, from 0 onward the bigger the positive number the more long-sighted you are. That was my prescription I gave you from the top of my head so I'm not sure if it's right, but since my Spheres are larger neg numbers, you'll be pleased to know my eyesight's worse than yours lol. :tongue:
Cyl is Cylinder, also measured in diopters, which is how much astigmatism you have. Astigmatism is uneven focusing due to the cornea or lens not being a perfectly curved shape, so the light rays do not meet at one focus. Not all people have it, but it's quite common. (Including moi)
Axis is just an angle that describes where the astigmatism is taking place. It's important as to how the lenses are placed in the frame.
:frown: It's a pain. Myopia does tend to get worse as you grow so hopefully it should stabilise somepoint after you turn 20.

Sph is Sphere, the 'power' of your lenses (measured in diopters) needed to correct your vision. The larger the negative number, the more short-sighted you are. Likewise, from 0 onward the bigger the positive number the more long-sighted you are. That was my prescription I gave you from the top of my head so I'm not sure if it's right, but since my Spheres are larger neg numbers, you'll be pleased to know my eyesight's worse than yours lol. :tongue:
Cyl is Cylinder, also measured in diopters, which is how much astigmatism you have. Astigmatism is uneven focusing due to the cornea or lens not being a perfectly curved shape, so the light rays do not meet at one focus. Not all people have it, but it's quite common. (Including moi)
Axis is just an angle that describes where the astigmatism is taking place. It's important as to how the lenses are placed in the frame.

Ooh, that was really interesting, thanks! I've covered lenses in Physics recently but I'm not too big a fan of it :colondollar:
Heyyy, Oh God!

Spoiler

Spoiler

You can say that again xD
Original post by Bude8
Ooh, that was really interesting, thanks! I've covered lenses in Physics recently but I'm not too big a fan of it :colondollar:

Haha no problem! I think we're going to dissect an eye tomorrow in Biology :colone:

Actually, my friend who is an optometrist, said myopia gradually becomes better as you get older :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha no problem! I think we're going to dissect an eye tomorrow in Biology :colone:

I once had a biology teacher who was scared of blood :redface:
I remember dissecting an eye in Biology once actually... It was ages ago and I found all the fluidy stuff a bit disgusting :colondollar:
Original post by missfats
Actually, my friend who is an optometrist, said myopia gradually becomes better as you get older :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh :s-smilie: The optometrist I had on work experience said what I stated above :dontknow:
Oh :s-smilie: The optometrist I had on work experience said what I stated above :dontknow:

aha I don't know.
that's what I was told.
I guess we can Google it aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

:eek3: I really wanted to do that! We just got to watch a video though.:/ One of the other classes got to dissect a kidney - the smell was around for weeks! D:
Original post by Bude8
I once had a biology teacher who was scared of blood :redface:
I remember dissecting an eye in Biology once actually... It was ages ago and I found all the fluidy stuff a bit disgusting :colondollar:

:s-smilie: That must have been weird. No fair, you're always a step ahead :rolleyes: And the use of the term 'fluidy stuff' :lol:
:s-smilie: That must have been weird. No fair, you're always a step ahead :rolleyes: And the use of the term 'fluidy stuff' :lol:

I don't know what else you'd call it. Eye liquid? :lol: Feel free to look down on me for not knowing the proper term :tongue:
:eek3: I really wanted to do that! We just got to watch a video though.:/ One of the other classes got to dissect a kidney - the smell was around for weeks! D:

We did kidneys in triple biology. I was the only girl that would touch one. The smell was horrendous. Stayed on my fingers all day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest