Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Both. Opposition sit back more but everyone in the team just seems so lethargic in their play up until the last 10 or so minutes. There's no belief in this team, if you want to even call it that, more like 11 individuals who every week look like they've never seen each other before. Allen and Lucas bumping into each other twice in the first 20 was funny as hell.
    I've been saying it all season but our build up for most of the games is horrendous, slow and just isn't productive. Most of tonight for instance (or any game). Lucas has the ball just inside our half, no movement ahead of him and the Basel players are blocking off all avenues. Allen/henderson/gerrard drop deep lucas plays the short ball. Lucas then runs forward taking up the position the dropping player just left, being equally blocked off by a simple defensive line. Rinse and repeat until we try to pass forward and give the ball away or turn around and pass it to the centre backs. The only times this season where we've consistently actually looked decent in those areas is when Can has plays. He looks forward shifts the ball and drives forward to try and pull a player out of their position to make a pass.

Rodgers' instills this "pass and move" system but it seems as if the players take it as I pass the ball move somewhere else and stay still this season. The philosophy he supposedly bought to the team is non-existent. The players in midfield just aren't good enough to do it. He's had 2 years now to bring in adequate players for that system and at the level we should (from the money we've spent) be at. The blame on the pitch is down to the players but the man behind the team now has to start taking the blame. I lost faith in him totally after the Ludogorets game and wouldn't have batted an eye if he got sacked then. We then started to play a bit better against Leicester but that clearly was just a one off. If, well when, we lose on sunday I reckon we'll see him sacked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    We all know a midfield combo of Lucas/Allen/Gerrard doesn't work well at all. If we needed a draw then fair enough with the selection. But we needed to win the game and not starting Lallana/Coutinho/Markovic was absolutely mind boggling for me. Rodgers just went for experienced players tonight which wasn't a good idea. Having Can in the middle with Lucas and Moreno as LB would have been far better tbh.
    Well Rodgers is trying to get Gerrard into the side. He continued with DM (in fairness it was a success last season) so now he's moved him to AM behind the main striker. The problem is that Gerrard being in the side adds positives but also negatives.

In fairness Markovic hasn't played so far. More surprised that Lallana/Coutinho didn't start. For the most important game of the season so far and Rodgers doesn't even play or sub on his expensive midfield player?

Enrique was crap as usual

(Original post by samir12)
    Can hasn't played in the last few of games, its absolutely mind boggling how he doesn't get any minutes when he's looked one of our best midfielders. It's frustrating how the failures is primarily down to wrong team selections.
    Can has been injured a lot. I don't think he's had much continuous training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Well there seems to be a fear of trying to make a clever pass.

The biggest problem is that we've reverted to old type - no movement up front. Suarez and Sturridge finally fixed that but with neither playing, it's gone to pot again.

Allen doesn't seem to fit in with Gerrard or Lucas. Henderson isn't being played in the middle either.
    Exactly why I'm a proponent of Coutinho starting most games. Yes he's very hot and cold but he doesn't shy away from running with the ball or trying to make clever passes. Watching Liverpool play football has been an absolute bore this year with the incessant sideways/backwards passing. Getting the ball to our attackers has been a problem all year. Which is why when Markovic came on and collected the ball team and actually ran with it and bought it forward without needing 20 passes, we looked much more threatening.

His style of football has been so ineffective this year as we don;t have the players for it, resulting in us being one of the easiest teams to defend against.

(Original post by Stirlo)
    I've been saying it all season but our build up for most of the games is horrendous, slow and just isn't productive. Most of tonight for instance (or any game). Lucas has the ball just inside our half, no movement ahead of him and the Basel players are blocking off all avenues. Allen/henderson/gerrard drop deep lucas plays the short ball. Lucas then runs forward taking up the position the dropping player just left, being equally blocked off by a simple defensive line. Rinse and repeat until we try to pass forward and give the ball away or turn around and pass it to the centre backs. The only times this season where we've consistently actually looked decent in those areas is when Can has plays. He looks forward shifts the ball and drives forward to try and pull a player out of their position to make a pass.

Rodgers' instills this "pass and move" system but it seems as if the players take it as I pass the ball move somewhere else and stay still this season. The philosophy he supposedly bought to the team is non-existent. The players in midfield just aren't good enough to do it. He's had 2 years now to bring in adequate players for that system and at the level we should (from the money we've spent) be at. The blame on the pitch is down to the players but the man behind the team now has to start taking the blame. I lost faith in him totally after the Ludogorets game and wouldn't have batted an eye if he got sacked then. We then started to play a bit better against Leicester but that clearly was just a one off. If, well when, we lose on sunday I reckon we'll see him sacked
    Spot on. We just do the same crap ad infinitum.

He definitely has to take a lot of the blame, he has been nowhere near as pragmatic and dynamic as he should be as a manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Can has been injured a lot. I don't think he's had much continuous training.
    He played 15 minutes in the Palace game which wasn't too long ago and there were not any reports of him being injured

ReputationRep:
    We're still underdogs for Sunday. Think you'll win 2-1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceJJFish(II))

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Shut up :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceJJFish(II))

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol taking a leaf from Chelsea fans I see xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Exactly why I'm a proponent of Coutinho starting most games. Yes he's very hot and cold but he doesn't shy away from running with the ball or trying to make clever passes. Watching Liverpool play football has been an absolute bore this year with the incessant sideways/backwards passing. Getting the ball to our attackers has been a problem all year. Which is why when Markovic came on and collected the ball team and actually ran with it and bought it forward without needing 20 passes, we looked much more threatening.

His style of football has been so ineffective this year as we don;t have the players for it, resulting in us being one of the easiest teams to defend against.

Spot on. We just do the same crap ad infinitum.

He definitely has to take a lot of the blame, he has been nowhere near as pragmatic and dynamic as he should be as a manager.
    I think part of the issue is that when Coutinho plays on the flank, he's too anonymous but he isn't good enough to be playing as the star AM with the team built around him. If you then play him in the midfield, his risky play can expose us to the counter too much. What's his best position?

He played 15 minutes in the Palace game which wasn't too long ago and there were not any reports of him being injured
    Not sure then. You're right, he's been on the bench in all the games since.

ReputationRep:
    im not a liverpool fan but i like to see them do well. Mignolet is very annoying to watch, his distribution is absolutely shocking. Keeps trying to play out no matter how many opposition players are near by.

liverpool got a freekick in the dying minutes of the game about 15-20 yards outside the penalty box, a defender rushed over to take it and the whole time mignolet was screaming for the ball. Obviously brendan wants the defence to play it out but mignolet doesn't seem to realise he is allowed to thump it up every now and then.

ReputationRep:
    I was saying that we needed to replace Mignolet for virtually the whole of last season; good to see others are finally starting to realise.

Just pathetic really. This is the least enjoyable I've found our football for years - not even sure I thought Hodgson was any worse than the **** we've seen this season. Dreading going into every single game and there has been very little improvement at all.

ReputationRep:
    RODGERSOUT

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting though, if you added Lallana, Moreno, Can, Markovic, Manquillo to the side of last season, would it have won the league? Let's face it, Liverpool had some glaring weaknesses last season, especially at full back. They have actually strengthened, but without Sturridge and Suarez have capitulated as there is no Plan B.

Suarez needed to stay another season. Selling Suarez was the biggest mistake, I think it's clear now how much of a brilliant system they had last season. It's amazing to consider what losing two players has done to the club. I count Sturridge in this, because let's face it, Sturridge and Suarez are fantastic players.

Keeping Suarez, and adding Markovic, Moreno, Manquillo and Can would have been brilliant business imo. Amazing how things can turnaround when things don't go your way though.

I'd still argue Rodgers is a really good manager. There's something to be said about if this squad is doing so bad this season, how well he must have done to have got it performing so well with two other fantastic players albeit up front. However, plan B is lacking. Has a lot to answer for there, and seems very naive. Not so sure he can learn from mistakes, and seems set in his ways.

Would be nice to some intelligent analysis regarding some of the above points, and whether people would agree/disagree - intelligent discussion has lacked recently on TSR, so it would be nice to have a little revival, rather than incessant trolling, which whilst amusing at first gets boring quick (as with any topic). It's many people saying the same thing for hours and becomes tiresome to read. If only more were like that female poster from Wrexham whose name escapes me. One of the few posters who whenever posts it's clear she knows what she's talking about - unlike 90% of this forum. Anyway... the only way to learn is to debate imo, so learn by analysing and discussing guys. (my view anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level sufferer)
    RODGERSOUT

Posted from TSR Mobile
    why? he is a football genius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    It's interesting though, if you added Lallana, Moreno, Can, Markovic, Manquillo to the side of last season, would it have won the league? Let's face it, Liverpool had some glaring weaknesses last season, especially at full back. They have actually strengthened, but without Sturridge and Suarez have capitulated as there is no Plan B.

Suarez needed to stay another season. Selling Suarez was the biggest mistake, I think it's clear now how much of a brilliant system they had last season. It's amazing to consider what losing two players has done to the club. I count Sturridge in this, because let's face it, Sturridge and Suarez are fantastic players.

Keeping Suarez, and adding Markovic, Moreno, Manquillo and Can would have been brilliant business imo. Amazing how things can turnaround when things don't go your way though.

I'd still argue Rodgers is a really good manager. There's something to be said about if this squad is doing so bad this season, how well he must have done to have got it performing so well with two other fantastic players albeit up front. However, plan B is lacking. Has a lot to answer for there, and seems very naive. Not so sure he can learn from mistakes, and seems set in his ways.

Would be nice to some intelligent analysis regarding some of the above points, and whether people would agree/disagree - intelligent discussion has lacked recently on TSR, so it would be nice to have a little revival, rather than incessant trolling, which whilst amusing at first gets boring quick (as with any topic). It's many people saying the same thing for hours and becomes tiresome to read. If only more were like that female poster from Wrexham whose name escapes me. One of the few posters who whenever posts it's clear she knows what she's talking about - unlike 90% of this forum. Anyway... the only way to learn is to debate imo, so learn by analysing and discussing guys. (my view anyway).
    He didn't want to stay though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    He didn't want to stay though.
    Sure, I understand that, which is obviously the frustrating part. But surely first transfer you should be looking to make is a replacement of Suarez, and all attentions focused on that particular transfer. Obviously you're not going to get someone on that level, but a top class replacement surely isn't unfeasible when you have a scouting team at your disposal who watches players week in week out, being able to analyse players who have some similarities with Sturridge and Suarez - even if inferior. Even with a better squad, it shows how much of an important role that Suarez had, which is still completely not replaced. You would say Falcao, but you can see why they didn't go for him. Hell, even Sanchez. Sanchez and Sturridge up front, with Sterling behind :coma: There we go, didn't get him, secondary targets were utterly useless.

But Balotelli is such a different type of player - just a terrible signing entirely all things considered really. Lambert was always a backup, and taking Aspas' role so is hardly relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Gob Bluth I will respond to your point don't worry.
    Lol taking a leaf from Chelsea fans I see xD
    What Chelsea fan are you talking about here?

As far as I'm concerned he's being ridiculously downplaying his team when it's clear that they are infinitely the stronger team form wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    What Chelsea fan are you talking about here?

As far as I'm concerned he's being ridiculously downplaying his team when it's clear that they are infinitely the stronger team form wise.
    Not really for a variety of reasons, don't get why you've made that point. We were awful on Monday, so I don't understand your form point.

Liverpool have a psychological edge over us after last season. Makes a big difference in derbies, and I fear for the players confidence especially after the way the media have attacked us (fairly) since Monday. Also add to that our injuries at the back, Young set to come up against Sterling could mean disaster. Smalling is injured now so it means that McNair may have to start despite having a shocker, or a crocked and rubbish Evans. Also LvG seems to persist with this **** 3-5-2, Sterling will rip us apart on the wings as will Markovic after playing well tonight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam171014)
    If you lash out at someone, whether you split their skull/jaw in half or the tip of your finger barely touches them, it's a red regardless.
    Likewise, when a player goes in two-footed, regardless of the outcome ref's give a red without hesitation.
    Yeah he got his hand out.

Tbh it was a stupid red card though. If Fellaini somehow stayed on the pitch yesterday I don't get why Markovic is off the pitch. But according to the rulebook it is a red. Commentators are just biased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    x
    thought i'd quote you for the hissy fit about to follow.

i'm so angry right now.
    i really don't care about the circumstances; i don't give a damn of markovic shouldn't have got sent off.
    all i care about is how the players knew that all they needed was a home victory, that's it.
    but no, they couldn't even do that.
    it's not like they lost after a well fought match where they tried their hardest; they were apparently dominated during the first half, at home in a must win game.
    quite frankly that is disgraceful and i'm bloody sick of it already.

out of the champions league, best player injured, struggling in the league, terrible fixtures coming up.
    i don't see ANY positive for us right now.
    i didn't want to say anything too drastic before the halfway point but this season is over unless we have a miracle of a transfer window.
    but even then, any player quality enough to save our season will surely have greater prospects than us.

we're absolutely screwed.
    people defending rodgers make no sense.
    he got all the praise last season when our players were performing out of their skin (hell, he even got manager of the year).
    so why shouldn't he be severely criticised when the players are performing as bad as this?

the worst thing of all is the subs.
    if he doesn't take off/bring on the wrong players. he'll leave it too late for them to make an impact anyway.
    we had a chance.
    this season was our chance to solidify ourselves as a CL club so we could attract better players.
    all we had to do was spend well in the summer and recreate good enough form to finish top 4.
    but now it just looks like all this work is for nothing - it pains me to say this but it looks like we've done a spurs, overspending on overrated players that don't really add much to the team.

at least we have balotelli.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)

Potentially it may have been enough. Our issue last year wasn't always the scoring, it was also the conceding goals but I'm not sure if Moreno would've helped that? Manquillo wouldn't have got a look in since Flanagan was playing well. Who would've been dropped to make space for Lallana or Markovic? Although that extra option off the bench would have been good.

It's always the wrong decision when you sell your best player but (1) he wanted to leave (2) we got 75mil (3) he was banned for the first 2 months anyway.

I like Rodgers but you sometimes wonder this season if he should be the assistant manager rather than main boss? I've been underwhelmed by his transfers and though he got the best out of his players, most of that time its been players that other managers bought.

Even now you wonder how many of Rodgers' players will still be here in 2-3 years whereas there is still a legacy of players that Rafa Benitez signed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.