The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ultra credible daily star reporting that we are looking at walcott + 20m for steriling.

Seems a bit pricey.. but ignoring cost, id love it.
I am worried about Burnley cause they will be fighting for survival
While Arsenal should be fighting for second place ( I hope)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fallen_acorns
ultra credible daily star reporting that we are looking at walcott + 20m for steriling.

Seems a bit pricey.. but ignoring cost, id love it.

I don't like that Sterling is a typical overrated English player and Theo is an Arsenal vet even Ian Wright said he should stay.
Sterling isn't worth 40/45m, which is what Walcott + 20m would be the equivalent to.
lol @ Theo being 20/25m
lol @ Sterling not being 40/45m

furthermore lols at likelihood
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by al_94
I don't like that Sterling is a typical overrated English player and Theo is an Arsenal vet even Ian Wright said he should stay.

he is an arsenal vetran.. but sterling - well, I mean I am about as anti-liverpool as can be, but jeeze the lad has talent.

There is not a more promising young player in the league, and if he carries on the progression he has been on, or even if he keeps at his current level.. then in a few years when he is well out of our price range, we would be looking at him and saying 'what if....'

Ofcourse we could sign him, and he could fail to progress further, and walcott could hit form again for liverpool. But at the moment, I would take stirling quite hapily, and risk it.

He is just that good, and at that young of an age
If we sign Sterling it'll be a few years until we actually reap the real rewards for him (that's if he even lives up to his hype, and I feel he wont.) Walcott is worth at least/around £15m in the current market, anything less than £20m would be unacceptable if we were to sell him to the likes of Liverpool. We're talking big money here for a player that very well may not deliver next season. You also have to look at our strongest XI and see where would Sterling actually be shoehorned in?

Giroud
Ozil Cazorla Ramsey Sanchez
Coquelin

Sterling would then be competing for a spot on the XI with Ox, which will either hinder one or the others game time and hence possibly development. Either Ox in this case or also Wilshere. Not to forget Welbeck, who I'm sure Sterling would be a higher priority to but the argument is why are we willing to pay so much money for a player who'll struggle to get into the XI next season. Why are we talking of selling Walcott when he's a proven goalscorer, offers an alternative to the style of play and won't cost any extra money?
Theo scored from the get go as soon as he returned from injury, but still looked like he wasn't in full form. People have been too quick to judge him on his performance considering how much football he's missed. Not sure if anyone remembers but in December 2013 (last season) he was our best player.

We're talking £30-40m for a player who'll be surplus to requirements and has every chance of flopping. Instead of buying a 20 year old, why not buy some one around 24/25 who's about to enter their prime?
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't want sterling.

Theo will come good and I'd rather have a proper striker (ie lacazette or higuain) as a replacement than another creative midfielder...it's not like we're short in that department. Guys a mercenary as well, as soon as we show any signs of decline/ Madrid come calling he's off. Don't want.
Original post by Dr. Django
Don't want sterling.

Theo will come good and I'd rather have a proper striker (ie lacazette or higuain) as a replacement than another creative midfielder...it's not like we're short in that department. Guys a mercenary as well, as soon as we show any signs of decline/ Madrid come calling he's off. Don't want.

Not sure if he'll "come good" because I think he's already around the level he should/will be. Not to say that's a bad thing however, seeing as he's a winger with the potential to score 12-15 goals a season if he remains fit, and that's a very good amount.
12 goals and 8 assists.. for a 20 year old.

Carried his team through the first half of the season, and has played so many different positions..

1st
New CM - Ramsey
Sterling - ozil - Sanchez
Giroud

2nd
Coq - Wilshire
Ox - Cazorla - campbell/winger
Welbeck

Would be the best squad, and depth we have had in years.
Original post by fallen_acorns
12 goals and 8 assists.. for a 20 year old.

Carried his team through the first half of the season, and has played so many different positions..

1st
New CM - Ramsey
Sterling - ozil - Sanchez
Giroud

2nd
Coq - Wilshire
Ox - Cazorla - campbell/winger
Welbeck

Would be the best squad, and depth we have had in years.

only one thing's guaranteed at Arsenal

injury
dont think we have enough funds to be throwing it at Sterling (esp. condsidering we have more vital areas to solidfy first) and we deffo aren't gonna be offering the wages the fkboi is said to be wanting
Sell Walcott to Liverpool if they offer 20M's, buy Reus and spend the rest of our summer budget on a out and out striker i.e. Mandzukic/Benzema/Morata/Lacazette and a DM
Original post by AR_95
If we sign Sterling it'll be a few years until we actually reap the real rewards for him (that's if he even lives up to his hype, and I feel he wont.) Walcott is worth at least/around £15m in the current market, anything less than £20m would be unacceptable if we were to sell him to the likes of Liverpool. We're talking big money here for a player that very well may not deliver next season. You also have to look at our strongest XI and see where would Sterling actually be shoehorned in?

Giroud
Ozil Cazorla Ramsey Sanchez
Coquelin

Sterling would then be competing for a spot on the XI with Ox, which will either hinder one or the others game time and hence possibly development. Either Ox in this case or also Wilshere. Not to forget Welbeck, who I'm sure Sterling would be a higher priority to but the argument is why are we willing to pay so much money for a player who'll struggle to get into the XI next season. Why are we talking of selling Walcott when he's a proven goalscorer, offers an alternative to the style of play and won't cost any extra money?
Theo scored from the get go as soon as he returned from injury, but still looked like he wasn't in full form. People have been too quick to judge him on his performance considering how much football he's missed. Not sure if anyone remembers but in December 2013 (last season) he was our best player.

We're talking £30-40m for a player who'll be surplus to requirements and has every chance of flopping. Instead of buying a 20 year old, why not buy some one around 24/25 who's about to enter their prime?

Cazorla only has 1 season left at his prime realistically and that's if we get lucky.
Nah Santi will be the Spanish Pirlo
Original post by leinad2012
Cazorla only has 1 season left at his prime realistically and that's if we get lucky.

That's at his prime. Meaning he'll be starting next season. After that he'll be back up to Ozil for another year or two meaning we don't need Sterling now..
Not a chance we'd sell you Sterling and not a chance Wenger would blow the war chest that would be needed to sign Sterling from us.

Although maybe you'll bid £10,000,001?

Suarez sold for almost double what Arsenal offered.
Original post by shawn_o1
only one thing's guaranteed at Arsenal

injury

agree - only way we can combat that though, bar fixing our medical team/training methods, is with depth
Wazaaaaap bitcccchhheeeeessssss... ready to fight for the title? Btw this is AnharM, don't use that account anymore because I'm banned from a few forums
Original post by Zerforax

Suarez sold for almost double what Arsenal offered.

a year later...

also we bid after he had a good season.

barca bid after he had an amazing season (cannibalism aside)

Latest