Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Yes, planning to take my leave and then go back. Im not actually going in to my NQT ive just got a standard office job so hopefully far less disruptive as 2 others are starting with me. I'll be there till xmas so its not like I will be there 2 months and then leave!
    Right, my bad. I'm sorry - I can't keep track of who's doing what on this thread! Being there until Xmas is a reasonable stint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Right, my bad. I'm sorry - I can't keep track of who's doing what on this thread! Being there until Xmas is a reasonable stint.
    Hopefully, let the littleone get a bit older and i can look at doing my NQT then

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully, let the littleone get a bit older and i can look at doing my NQT then
    Good plan. I can't remember (a running theme today, it seems!) if there's an expiry date on the PGCE. Is there?

ReputationRep:
    Good plan. I can't remember (a running theme today, it seems!) if there's an expiry date on the PGCE. Is there?
    I heard its 5 years not too certain though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought it was 5 years if you started the timer on the NqT (i.e. Started it and had a break) but if you dont start it then its indefinate, but obviously the further from the course you get the rustier you get.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd heard the same, but wasn't sure.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was 5 years if you started the timer on the NqT (i.e. Started it and had a break) but if you dont start it then its indefinate, but obviously the further from the course you get the rustier you get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    After you get QTS you can do as much short term supply for up to five years from that date. After that you can ONLY teach in an position which counts towards your NQT year until you complete it. I don't believe there's any limit on when you can complete NQT itself though as you've said you'd probably struggle to do it after a long break.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh, I've just thought of something I wanted to mention.

One of my tutors partly runs the UK National Writing Project. The are a network of teachers writing groups, which are usually monthly groups where teachers meet up to write themselves, and discuss the teaching of writing. The idea is if you teach writing you should write yourself. It's a lovely kind of group to be involved in... I joined in my NQT year and really enjoyed discussing pedagogy and theory once a month. It keep me grounded to it and stopped me getting caught up in the whirlwind of assessment, reports, data, planning etc that is NQT and forgetting the big picture.

Just thought I'd mention it as some primary or language teachers might want to join one. There is a list of groups across the country on the National Writing Project's UK website and some other resources.

XXX

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    After you get QTS you can do as much short term supply for up to five years from that date. After that you can ONLY teach in an position which counts towards your NQT year until you complete it. I don't believe there's any limit on when you can complete NQT itself though as you've said you'd probably struggle to do it after a long break.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for this. It's not something I've ever actually needed to know, but I've kind of absorbed bits over the years. I'll try to remember it for future reference.

In other news, I taught my last ever lesson today.

ReputationRep:
    Don't want to hijack any previous conversation thread, but I'm due to start my PGCE this August. I thought I'd ask some current students, what response do you normally give to students who ask "Are you a student teacher?".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnofthewaz)
    Don't want to hijack any previous conversation thread, but I'm due to start my PGCE this August. I thought I'd ask some current students, what response do you normally give to students who ask "Are you a student teacher?".
    'I'm your teacher.'

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this. It's not something I've ever actually needed to know, but I've kind of absorbed bits over the years. I'll try to remember it for future reference.

Congratulations on making it through!!! And we'll done for all the good you've done. A career in teaching is an amazing thing to do with your life.

I think they changed the NQT rules about two years ago anyway which doesn't help!

I said a couple of times I'm learning to be a teacher like (their teacher). But I worked with 3-7 year olds so it's a bit different lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Congratulations on making it through!!! And we'll done for all the good you've done. A career in teaching is an amazing thing to do with your life.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. What is the effect of not being withdrawn?
    I don't know. There could definitely be an impact financially. I'm really confused right now as the uni gave me zero info about how withdrawal would affect me in terms of student loans, bursaries etc. Ive had no contact with any of them since the meeting where they told me to withdraw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I don't know. There could definitely be an impact financially. I'm really confused right now as the uni gave me zero info about how withdrawal would affect me in terms of student loans, bursaries etc. Ive had no contact with any of them since the meeting where they told me to withdraw.
    Time to call on the student union, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    I'm your teacher. They will know you're a student teacher though! some classes I was honest with - they were used to student teachers and they were a really nice class.

So much so that they would periodically ask me how my training was going, when I would qualify etc. But out of the however many classes I taught, that class was the exception.

ReputationRep:
    Time to call on the student union, maybe?
    I called them. They were just as confused as me and referred me back to the department.

ReputationRep:
    Did you cry? Will you miss teaching? Will you work in any school as a volunteer teacher? What are you going to do from now on?

P.S. Don't leave us! TSR needs lovely ladies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Did you cry? Will you miss teaching? Will you work in any school as a volunteer teacher? What are you going to do from now on?

P.S. Don't leave us! TSR needs lovely ladies
    Aww, thanks! No, I didn't cry. It wasn't like that. I don't think I will know if I'll miss it until the next school year starts and I'm not doing it. For now it's like any other summer holiday. I'm sure I will miss the people, but I don't know about anything else. I don't plan on going near a school again, but who knows? I may change my mind.

I'll be a fixture on TSR until my knowledge becomes obsolete, I suspect, or until I get booted off!

ReputationRep:
    Thats awesome, congrats. Make sure you put your feet up, have a nice glass of wine and relax x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.